Thread: Greater Wellington Regional Council Transport Draft Plan

Bike
    2001 Moto Guzzi V11 Sport

Greater Wellington Regional Council Transport Draft Plan

Recently, some of you would have received a survey from Wellington City Council. I imagine not many of you bothered to fill it in - but I did. Part of the survey had a section on the "Draft Regional Transport Programme 2012-2015" and had a comments box. Based on some points I put across to the council regarding the position of motorcyclists in future City Council plans I have been invited to present a submission in person to some Council big wig types.

I was wondering if anyone had any RELEVANT issues for the COUNCIL (I know rego is expensive and testing is difficult, but these are Central Government/NZTA issues) and wanted them raised, I might be able to squeeze them in?

Any thoughts or discussion on Council Transport Plans regarding bikes would be welcome.

Stuart

Bike
    Ring ding ding ding....
    I dunno if its what you are after, but

-Bike parking being turned into car parking (Ive been away from Wgtn for a few years so this may be old news)

-Traffic lights with turning arrows which bikes don't activate (e.g. turning from right from the Terrace onto Salamanca rd)

-Motorcycle use of bus lanes (though this could get pretty damn confusing round town...)

-ACC funded/subsidized motorcycle training? Is it available in wgtn? How do they let people know who is doing it, how much and when?

Bike
    Katana 750, VOR 450 Enduro
    Blog Entries
    There's been a lot of to and fro with Council regarding the motorcycle parks, and we don't really need to re-litigate it here.

Long story short - every year they try and make us pay for motorcycle parking. And every year we have to argue that it's a bad idea, for a multitude of reasons.

Nothing new here in my opinion.
    And I to my motorcycle parked like the soul of the junkyard. Restored, a bicycle fleshed with power, and tore off. Up Highway 106 continually drunk on the wind in my mouth. Wringing the handlebar for speed, wild to be wreckage forever.

- James Dickey, Cherrylog Road.

Bike
    None any more
    Quote Originally Posted by smmudd83_1999 View Post
    Recently, some of you would have received a survey from Wellington City Council. I imagine not many of you bothered to fill it in - but I did. Part of the survey had a section on the "Draft Regional Transport Programme 2012-2015" and had a comments box. Based on some points I put across to the council regarding the position of motorcyclists in future City Council plans I have been invited to present a submission in person to some Council big wig types.

I was wondering if anyone had any RELEVANT issues for the COUNCIL (I know rego is expensive and testing is difficult, but these are Central Government/NZTA issues) and wanted them raised, I might be able to squeeze them in?

Any thoughts or discussion on Council Transport Plans regarding bikes would be welcome.

Stuart
    I changed your thread's title. This plan has nothing to do with the City Council and issues like motorcycle parking. It's a Regional Council plan. Don't ask me how I know that.
    "Standing on your mother's corpse you told me that you'd wait forever." [Bryan Adams: Summer of 69]

Bike
    2007 Yamaha R6S
    Sorry I am sure this may not be way too late. but here goes.

Over the past few weeks if have been commuting around the CBD and have been think about things that I should suggest to the council and really the big one that I can think of is sunken man hole covers.

There is one on the way up from Aro Valley up to Brooklen in the middle of the road on a bend and unless you know it is there it is right in riding line so scooters or bikes when riding at night or in the rain will never see it.

There are many of these around Wellington streets when they reseal the road instead of removing and re-installing it at road level they just fill in over top and then cut out the hole. These are rather scary thoughts when you are not supper comfortable with the bike doing things you are not expecting.

Regards,

Kris
    Still trying to find something worthy of going here

Bike
    2002 BMW. R1150RT

Bike parking in wellington

Had another " discussion" with a parking nazi this week. Parked my bike on courtney place in a pay and display area. ( was going to have my hearing aids tuned ) I paid my fee, and placed the ticket in the plastic pocket ( from PO ) under my windscreen.
    Bike was parked in the middle of the space parallel to footpath. I was away about 45min, had paid for 1.5 hrs. When I got back the man from the council was about to write me a ticket. " what for " I asked. "No bikes in pay and display " was the reply. You must park in a designated bike park or on a meter. At that moment a guy who had parked his Merc in the space behind me, stepped forward, having heard the Parking warden. " Bull Shit" was his opening remark. Where are the signs ? The parking warden replied " Its a council Bylaw. Not if its not clearly signed he says. You put signs up for bus stops, trade vehicles, disabled parks and bike parks, so you must clearly spell it out!
    The parking warden by this time was on his mobile, I guess to Head office, as he had written out my ticket and didnt want to tear it up. The man with the merc meanwhile handed me his business card and loudly stated " If you hear any more about this ring me " Im a lawyer.
    The warden at this point slinked off down the footpath , not looking back once.
    So guys, if you park your bike in Wellington, go to the Post Office and get a plastic Rego pocket, stick it on your bike ( under screen or on anyplace it can be seen ) and pay your parking fee.
    F***K em, we have just as much right to park as cars

Bike
    None any more
    Quote Originally Posted by werwolf View Post
    Had another " discussion" with a parking nazi this week.
    As well as invoking Godwin's Law, you should also know that parking has nothing to do with a thread about the Greater Wellington Regional Council's role in public transport.
    "Standing on your mother's corpse you told me that you'd wait forever." [Bryan Adams: Summer of 69]

Bike
    It was on the good
    And given that the RLTP has been released the thread is somewhat redundant. I am tempted to move back to Wellywood after seeing some of the beautiful images they have put in to the RLTP though.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Loving it.jpg 
Views:	46 
Size:	132.1 KB 
ID:	275019   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Q.jpg 
Views:	45 
Size:	190.1 KB 
ID:	275020  

Bike
    R100GSPD
    Quote Originally Posted by Berries View Post
    And given that the RLTP has been released the thread is somewhat redundant. I am tempted to move back to Wellywood after seeing some of the beautiful images they have put in to the RLTP though.
    yes.live in town,work in town or live in town and work out of town.Dont live out of town and work in town

Thread Information