Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: 848 Evo in NZ Supersport?

Bike
    1995 Ducati 916 SP
    Quote Originally Posted by Drew View Post
    I did race one. 2004 749R Ducati. And it would have been competitive too, when it was current. But four years after the fact, with Ducati not actually developing it anymore it got smoked power wise.

I think it was about 50/50 for finishes verses crashes by the way.
    I normally just bite my tongue and scroll on when I read idiotic rants (refering to your earlier one) but you're a tad misguided Drew and that rave probably reflects your own bad experience with the Ducati you were racing.
    I bought that pile of crap ..... you and your team are a big reason why that thing was not competitive.
    Bent frame, non 749R triple clamps and without doubt the worst maintained racebike I have ever tinkered with for starters.

I will hand it to you though, you raced that thing hard considering how appalling it was.
    But from a mechanical engineering perspective I can't even relate to what sort of mind a person has who races something as obviously flawed as that racebike was. Point the finger as much as you like, but maybe accepting some responsibility would be a more dignified attitude.

But you're correct about the power bit, they weren't/aren't as fast as the four cylinder engines which produce more power/cc than the V twins, which has been a pretty simple mechanical fact for quite sometime now ... quite a bit longer than the argument to include them in competitive race classes has been around I'd suspect.

But no matter, there's still going to be them that rant and rave about it but I'm just pleased, as a Ducati lover .. shock horrror ... that MNZ has used common sense and seen that this diversity could help entice a few more racers onto the grid.

Bike
    BMW
    I think its a good idea to include the 848. Having ridden the 1198s in standard trim they dont have very good feel and id imagine the 848 has the same geometry. With the way that our supersport rules are I dont think even with the extra HP that you would have any advantage

Bike
    BSA A10
    Quote Originally Posted by Dreama View Post
    I bought that pile of crap ..... you and your team are a big reason why that thing was not competitive.
    Bent frame, .
    It probably wasn't bent before Drew rode it though
    "If you can make black marks on a straight from the time you turn out of a corner until the braking point of the next turn, then you have enough power."

Quote Originally Posted by scracha View Post
    Even BP would shy away from cleaning up a sidecar oil spill.
    Quote Originally Posted by Warren Zevon
    Send Lawyers, guns and money, the shit has hit the fan

Bike
    1995 Ducati 916 SP
    Quote Originally Posted by Kickaha View Post
    It probably wasn't bent before Drew rode it though
    No, in fairness to Drew I think it probably was. It was imported bent and straightened here ... not very well I suspect.
    Head stock measured 25.7 when I got it checked and it should have been 24.5 .... headstocks don't often bend outwards in race track incidents !

It must have been a pig to turn in .... that, not having the unique 749R triple clamp set up and substandard maintaince turned what should have been a fine race bike into a dog.

Bike
    BMW
    Quote Originally Posted by Dreama View Post
    No, in fairness to Drew I think it probably was. It was imported bent and straightened here ... not very well I suspect.
    Head stock measured 25.7 when I got it checked and it should have been 24.5 .... headstocks don't often bend outwards in race track incidents !

It must have been a pig to turn in .... that, not having the unique 749R triple clamp set up and substandard maintaince turned what should have been a fine race bike into a dog.
    Im pretty sure I saw Dobsy (RIP) riding that same bike very quick??

Bike
    1995 Ducati 916 SP
    Quote Originally Posted by CHOPPA View Post
    Im pretty sure I saw Dobsy (RIP) riding that same bike very quick??
    That was another bike the team had, previously ridden by Vicki.
    Drew's one was dead by then.

Bike
    Kawasaki ZX6R
    Quote Originally Posted by tigertim20 View Post
    how is pandering to a manufacturer good?
    if ducati wanted to race in those fields they should have made a 600 il4. or a V4. hell make a triple even, who cares what config they use.

its a matter on constant rule changes to allow people to do what ever they want rather than accept the rules, and race within in existing class.
    I wouldn't say this is 'pandering' but its worth noting that without manufactures support we would have no racing in NZ. Ducati is hardly going to design a bike to fit within the rules on NZ National Championship?! Part of the competitive spirit surely revolves around thinking outside the box for something new and unique. This is called progress. Look at Ozzy's 3 cylinder "ex" 600 IL4 competing in the F3 class....bloody magic in my opinion.

I personally think an 848 would have no advantage over a well tuned, well setup IL4 600...in fact I would hazzard a guess it would be disadvantaged...but we will never know until one is lining up next to us. Bring it on I say

Bike
    A fast one
    Go on Biggles.......be the one...... buy one
    Then fit those strippers underwear.... that you call tyre warmers.................and commit the greatest fashion faux par in history

Bike
    Rolls Royce RB211
    Quote Originally Posted by SWERVE View Post
    Go on Biggles.......be the one......
    Bloody hell, Biggles was Neo in "The Matrix"? Who knew...........?

Bike
    Exxon Valdez
    To tell the truth, the bike turned in fine. The lack of feed back was the only problem I had with it. However, dropping the thing so often knocked my confidence so far down, that I didn't even question the bike. Instead I pigheadedly carried on trying to ride it fast. Had I told the team that there was something wrong with it, and we figured it out, they would have gladly got the thing sorted and we all would have enjoyed much better results.

Bike
    WR269f, WR450f
    Quote Originally Posted by slowpoke View Post
    Bloody hell, Biggles was Neo in "The Matrix"? Who knew...........?
    Nah he's waay too short!
    Quote Originally Posted by Drew View Post
    To tell the truth, the bike turned in fine. The lack of feed back was the only problem I had with it. However, dropping the thing so often knocked my confidence so far down, that I didn't even question the bike. Instead I pigheadedly carried on trying to ride it fast. Had I told the team that there was something wrong with it, and we figured it out, they would have gladly got the thing sorted and we all would have enjoyed much better results.
    You're getting too mature in your old age son

Bike
    Rolls Royce RB211
    Quote Originally Posted by Tony.OK View Post
    Don't do it Drew! Growing up is waaaaaaaaay overrated.

Bike
    Exxon Valdez
    Quote Originally Posted by Tony.OK View Post

Quote Originally Posted by slowpoke View Post
    Don't do it Drew! Growing up is waaaaaaaaay overrated.
    I'll never grow up!

Bike
    Scorpio
    Quote Originally Posted by Biggles08 View Post
    Ducati is hardly going to design a bike to fit within the rules on NZ National Championship?!
    No, but they could have designed a bike to fit within the rules of the World Supersport Championship, which had a 750 limit for twins last time I looked. Or any of the other "600" production-based championships around the world.

Back when they replaced the 749 with the 848, some said they upped the capacity to avoid getting their ass kicked in World Supersport. If they're paying hard-to-get, why pander to them?

Bike
    Kawasaki ZX6R
    Quote Originally Posted by SWERVE View Post
    Go on Biggles.......be the one...... buy one
    Then fit those strippers underwear.... that you call tyre warmers.................and commit the greatest fashion faux par in history
    If I did buy one I would fit some nice aftermarket wheels too and try to get the rule changed to allow that also....get MNZ to pander to me instead of Ducati

What are you talking about anyway Swerve...fashion Faux par??? ME?! Mate...trend setting is hard bloody work with people like you around I tell you!

Thread Information