Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: 848 Evo in NZ Supersport?

Bike
    Kawasaki ZX6R
    Quote Originally Posted by Tony.OK View Post
    Nah he's waay too short!
    My height...that's what gave it away!??!

Bike
    Kawasaki ZX6R
    Quote Originally Posted by Badjelly View Post
    No, but they could have designed a bike to fit within the rules of the World Supersport Championship, which had a 750 limit for twins last time I looked. Or any of the other "600" production-based championships around the world.

Back when they replaced the 749 with the 848, some said they upped the capacity to avoid getting their ass kicked in World Supersport. If they're paying hard-to-get, why pander to them?
    Back in 2005 or so, Kawasaki bought out a ZX6R 636 to compete in the "600" class to try to improve the mid range of the engine...that was allowed to race in the AMA and other international championships but (correct me if I'm wrong here) never was allowed to race here in NZ. The point is, every championship class around the world "make up" rules based on the local population and requirements...If someone here has put in a request for a rule change because they want to race a 848 and if it doesn't appear (at first glance - yet to be determined here in NZ of course) to have any on track performance advantage, I say bring it on...more diversity on the track the better! As has already been mentioned there is an MV floating about in the background that IS legal with the current rules that is spouted to have 130RWHP off the floor!!!...what if I bought one of them instead and raced it! Boyyyyaaaaa!

(I know I know Drew...I'd still be slow and get my arse kicked)

Bike
    Honda CBR600RR9
    Quote Originally Posted by Biggles08 View Post
    Back in 2005 or so, Kawasaki bought out a ZX6R 636 to compete in the "600" class to try to improve the mid range of the engine...that was allowed to race in the AMA and other international championships but (correct me if I'm wrong here) never was allowed to race here in NZ. The point is, every championship class around the world "make up" rules based on the local population and requirements...If someone here has put in a request for a rule change because they want to race a 848 and if it doesn't appear (at first glance - yet to be determined here in NZ of course) to have any on track performance advantage, I say bring it on...more diversity on the track the better! As has already been mentioned there is an MV floating about in the background that IS legal with the current rules that is spouted to have 130RWHP off the floor!!!...what if I bought one of them instead and raced it! Boyyyyaaaaa!

(I know I know Drew...I'd still be slow and get my arse kicked)
    just to correct you, the 636 didn't race anywhere in the 600 class. Kawasuckme also realesed a ZX6RR at the same time, it was a 600 with race cams etc, it was in limited numbers but still fit the 600 class. Hepburn rode one, and I think Derek McAdam? Beck got one and it had oodles of power compared to my Honda of the time.

Bike
    a shiny new(ish) one
    I wouldn't say this is 'pandering' but its worth noting that without manufactures support we would have no racing in NZ. Ducati is hardly going to design a bike to fit within the rules on NZ National Championship?! Part of the competitive spirit surely revolves around thinking outside the box for something new and unique. This is called progress. Look at Ozzy's 3 cylinder "ex" 600 IL4 competing in the F3 class....bloody magic in my opinion.

I personally think an 848 would have no advantage over a well tuned, well setup IL4 600...in fact I would hazzard a guess it would be disadvantaged...but we will never know until one is lining up next to us. Bring it on I say
    The Ozzy 3 cyl thing is the rider going out of THEIR way to fit the rules, what we are talking about here is the opposite, asking the rules to be changed to fit the rider/bike
    Quote Originally Posted by Badjelly View Post
    No, but they could have designed a bike to fit within the rules of the World Supersport Championship, which had a 750 limit for twins last time I looked. Or any of the other "600" production-based championships around the world.

Back when they replaced the 749 with the 848, some said they upped the capacity to avoid getting their ass kicked in World Supersport. If they're paying hard-to-get, why pander to them?
    pretty much

Bike
    BSA A10
    Quote Originally Posted by tigertim20 View Post
    what we are talking about here is the opposite, asking the rules to be changed to fit the rider/bike
    Which is something that has been done in every class of Motorcycle racing since it began
    "If you can make black marks on a straight from the time you turn out of a corner until the braking point of the next turn, then you have enough power."

Quote Originally Posted by scracha View Post
    Even BP would shy away from cleaning up a sidecar oil spill.
    Quote Originally Posted by Warren Zevon
    Send Lawyers, guns and money, the shit has hit the fan

Bike
    KX450 Motard/Flat Track KTM150SX H2R
    Quote Originally Posted by Maido View Post
    just to correct you, the 636 didn't race anywhere in the 600 class. Kawasuckme also realesed a ZX6RR at the same time, it was a 600 with race cams etc, it was in limited numbers but still fit the 600 class. Hepburn rode one, and I think Derek McAdam? Beck got one and it had oodles of power compared to my Honda of the time.
    your correct, from 03-06 kawasaki made a 636 for the road, and a 600 for the track, they went back to just one model in 07,

Bike
    Kawasaki ZX6R
    Quote Originally Posted by scott411 View Post
    your correct, from 03-06 kawasaki made a 636 for the road, and a 600 for the track, they went back to just one model in 07,
    My mistake...dully spanked.

They looked the same at least!

Bike
    gsxr1000
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Maido View Post
    Just to correct you. Sloan Frost raced his 636 in the Nationals at least at Pukekohe back in maybe 06. Correct me if im wrong Choppa

Bike
    Exxon Valdez
    Quote Originally Posted by gixerracer View Post
    Just to correct you. Sloan Frost raced his 636 in the Nationals at least at Pukekohe back in maybe 06. Correct me if im wrong Choppa
    There is also some suggestion that Jay lawrence's bike was a 636 at one point, but he swears it wasn't.

Doesn't really matter, the 636 motor is less suited to racing anyway.

Bike
    Kawasaki ZX6R
    Quote Originally Posted by Drew View Post
    There is also some suggestion that Jay lawrence's bike was a 636 at one point, but he swears it wasn't.

Doesn't really matter, the 636 motor is less suited to racing anyway.
    Meh...Skatchel was always racing a 750cc GSXR too didn't you hear?

Bike
    gsxr1000
    Blog Entries
    Meh...Skatchel was always racing a 750cc GSXR too didn't you hear?
    Only at Manfeild rounds it would seem

Bike
    Kawasaki ZX6R
    Quote Originally Posted by gixerracer View Post
    Only at Manfeild rounds it would seem
    yeah it was his purple bike...that was obviously not a 600cc machine!

Thread Information