Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 2k Paint

Bike
    2007 Suzuki GN250

2k Paint

Hi all

I went to the paint shop today to see about getting some paint for my suzuki a100 restoration project. I took a piece in there for the guy to have a look at and match up etc etc. anywho he said its a candy and will cost $300 for paint and i cant justify spending that kind of money on my crappy lil project bike. besides id probably just stuff it all up in application anyways. the other option is a metallic blue 2k (has to be 2k cause other paints melt if they get fuel on them) and that was about $120 - still more than i want to spend

So i thought id ask on here and see if theres anyone in hamilton or nearby with a bit of old 2k paint sitting in their garage that they wouldnt mind letting go of for cheap. Im not really too fussy on colour, they came oem in black, blue, red and yellow or anything circa 1970-80 style would be cool.

Cheers
    Guy

Bike
    ducati 916
    how much do u want to spend?

Bike
    2007 Suzuki GN250
    I dunno. maybe 1 unit of standardized NZ currency (box of beer). guess it depend on what I'm buying.
    I think a liter of 2k black is about 70-100 i might just get that and do my guards too and do some gold pin striping.

eg: http://www.bikeexif.com/triumph-bonneville-belstaff
    But no so much of a feature as on that bike.

the chrome is pretty crud and its cheaper to buy knockoffs from thailand (about 180 shipped for both ends) than to get the current ones
    re-chromed.

Bike
    2007 Suzuki GN250
    Moving this topic from trying to scunge cheap paint to a colour scheme thread:
    http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/sh...post1130329818

Bike
    In the rubbish bin
    Don't bother. The budget you've said youre on isn't even close to reality.

I've painted a bike using spray cans. The paint & sandable primer was more around $200, and some of the paint I used I already had.

The bike I'm working on right now has $600 in paint (1 color - BLACK - )
    Find out more at www.unluckyones.co.nz

Bike
    xr1200hd,99 dyna + choppers
    I just got some metalflake paintwork back for a bike I am building for a friend and it was $2980.00 and we had budgeted 5k for paint so we were happy,but yes paint can be pricy. I saw an Eddie Trotta paint job in sturgis in 09 and they were saying it was 20k us.Good luck finding some cheap paint.

Bike
    ducati 916
    i have some 2k black u can have for 60 bucks plus 20 for hardner

Bike
    Windle, MoBuilt, Fireblade, RS250, FZR4
    Quote Originally Posted by BIG DOUG View Post
    I just got some metalflake paintwork back for a bike I am building for a friend and it was $2980.00 and we had budgeted 5k for paint so we were happy,but yes paint can be pricy. I saw an Eddie Trotta paint job in sturgis in 09 and they were saying it was 20k us.Good luck finding some cheap paint.
    this would be the price including the labour for painting and the primers and prep work etc though right? (hope so)

for ur little project I bet you could get a factory looking finish just spending time on the prep and application using cheap paints and clears - I've used warehouse bought black paint in a can and a clear in a can on a cbr600 tank and an old gt250 tank, plenty of splashes when filling up, never melted or effected the clear or finish.

Just give much more attention to your prep prior to painting, between coats and curing it afterward. that'll make a huge diff over spending money on expensive paints! to get a great looking finish.. and I still think with a clear on it you won't have any probs with fuels and melting.. as long as u dont leave petrol sitting on it for ages or something, if petrol gets on my tanks which ive painted myself i just grab the water can and rinse it off wen iim done filling up and give it a wipe with some paper towels they have next to the pumps.

flag 2k anyway, its lethal shit - have u got sealed breathing masks n shit? I do and still don't like it..

i get cheap lacquer basecoat clearcoats from a paint shop down here called color connection - 30 odd dollars for 500ml paint and about the same for a litre or 3/4 litre of clear coat - if u pay time and attention to proper prep and smooth it down between coats of base ull get a factory finish aye, then getting the clear on and letting it cure properly will make a good diff to the paint strength and resistance to the elements.

I'm doing a tank in black at the moment actually with a basecoat clearcoat, so if u havent come to a decision when its finished I'll pour petrol on it and take photos so u can see haha

Bike
    2015, Ducati Streetfighter
    Blog Entries
    There is a shop in CHCH where they will mix up any colout you desire and add it to a spray can (rattle can) - they spray very well and you can clear coat over top with a compatiable product from the same supplier if you desire. Standard colour can is $35 ish abit more for a custom mix. They fill the can with car paint and I've found it very durable on the parts I've painted. I've not done a tank so can't account for petrol. There will be someone close to you who offers a similar service.

I though 2 pack paints needed to be cured (hardened) under special lights or at a defined temp?

Bike
    In the rubbish bin
    Quote Originally Posted by AllanB View Post
    I though 2 pack paints needed to be cured (hardened) under special lights or at a defined temp?
    I believe they have to be mixed at a certain ratio for chemical adhesion, then baked in the final curing process.
    Find out more at www.unluckyones.co.nz

Bike
    RSV4RR, M109R, ZX10R
    Blog Entries
    Be easier if your profile didnt read NZ so we knew which city you lived in.
    My mate painted my race bike for $500 with 6 base colours and 7 pearls all stripes hand painted.
    Area Wellington.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	scratched 001 60.jpg 
Views:	131 
Size:	124.9 KB 
ID:	264759  
    I have evolved as a KB member.Now nothing I say should be taken seriously.

Bike
    mutton dressed up as lamb and a 73 XL250
    Your mate does bloody nice work.
    Be the person your dog thinks you are...

Bike
    RSV4RR, M109R, ZX10R
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by 98tls View Post
    Your mate does bloody nice work.
    And he likes bikes which helps. automan6 his phone numbers are in my profile messages.
    I have evolved as a KB member.Now nothing I say should be taken seriously.

Bike
    Windle, MoBuilt, Fireblade, RS250, FZR4
    yea that looks awesome, is there some sweet detail on the tank, I couldn't see too clearly. 500 bucks is choice for all the colors and the technique there, mates rates eh

Bike
    RZ496/Street 765RS/GasGas/ etc etc
    Blog Entries
    yeah I was wondering why till recently in this thread someone didn't say it will kill you slowly & its not worth it. unlikely you will have a pressure fed mask.
    Don't you look at my accountant.
    He's the only one I've got.

Thread Information