Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Suzuki M50 vs Harley 883 Iron

Bike
    I had a Honda VT750C2 which I loved, a real confidence builder but a bit gutless and my skills grew because it was such an easy bike to ride I moved up to a 1200 Harley Sportster and I love it. SImilar size and seating position but a lot more power. Sure the brakes are average, but it makes me smile all the time. I wouldn't even bother with an 883....

Bike
    2013 CRF250L & 2007 KLR650
    Yup, he sells 'em. So naturally he is fair and balanced in his response (tui ad coming up!). My point is simple: The 883, as sold in stock condition, is a pretty poor excuse for a motorcycle-considering the price. Sure, you can can spend an extra 1k to 3K more (you have now spent up to 15k on the used models) and it would probably equal or maybe even beat the mighty M50. And that's all good, because if it makes more people ride bikes then that is a positive outcome. Bottom line: nobody can tell me that an 883 is a value for performance bike in it's stock form. No way. No Harley riders I know (NZ and Stateside) would disagree with my factual assessment. The main point remains: the Harley 883 might have a good resale value, but value/performance wise? Take your pick from Triumph, Suzuki and all the others? It loses. Every day. BUT! You will look cool.... sort of like the guys from Sons of Anarchy. My heroes.

Bike
    Street Triple R
    Quote Originally Posted by Crasherfromwayback View Post
    Especially as I'll fly them here and put them on the ferry at our expense!

Cheers!!
    wait, whut?
    I thought elections were decided by angry posts on social media. - F5 Dave

Bike
    Street Triple R
    Quote Originally Posted by 888 View Post
    Yup, he sells 'em. So naturally he is fair and balanced in his response (tui ad coming up!). My point is simple: The 883, as sold in stock condition, is a pretty poor excuse for a motorcycle-considering the price. Sure, you can can spend an extra 1k to 3K more (you have now spent up to 15k on the used models) and it would probably equal or maybe even beat the mighty M50. And that's all good, because if it makes more people ride bikes then that is a positive outcome. Bottom line: nobody can tell me that an 883 is a value for performance bike in it's stock form. No way. No Harley riders I know (NZ and Stateside) would disagree with my factual assessment. The main point remains: the Harley 883 might have a good resale value, but value/performance wise? Take your pick from Triumph, Suzuki and all the others? It loses. Every day. BUT! You will look cool.... sort of like the guys from Sons of Anarchy. My heroes.

The point is this: none of that applies to H-D. None of it. Analyse it all you want. Blame it on their marketing department. Say the bikes are pieces of poo, (which they are not): If you want a Harley, then nothing else scratches the itch. Its like when you buy a genuine Louis Vuitton handbag, vs the ripoff one with the wonky "L" from the market in Bangkok.
    You're rationalising, and you know it.

And, it doesnt matter WHY you want it, IF you want it. (and people can say "Oh wow, he's totally bought the SOA image" or "Midlife crisis, eh?" or "Weekend badass, weekday accountatn (or lawyer)" or whatever the fuck they want to say. If it makes you grin when you ride it, then it entirely serves its purpose.

Heres a factoid: in a recession luxury brands thrive, generally.

I'd still really like a VT750 Flat tracker, but ....

Bike
    Street Triple R
    Quote Originally Posted by hellokitty View Post
    I had a Honda VT750C2 which I loved, a real confidence builder but a bit gutless and my skills grew because it was such an easy bike to ride I moved up to a 1200 Harley Sportster and I love it. SImilar size and seating position but a lot more power. Sure the brakes are average, but it makes me smile all the time. I wouldn't even bother with an 883....
    Now you've bought the Hornet, you can do me a deal on the Sporty. I'll trade you my scooter and a couple G's

Bike
    Various things
    Yup, he sells 'em. So naturally he is fair and balanced in his response (tui ad coming up!). My point is simple: The 883, as sold in stock condition, is a pretty poor excuse for a motorcycle-considering the price. :
    Funniest thing is mate...I sell Suzuki's too. But I can actually see them both for what they are. I ride and race Suzuki's, and have done so with Harleys too. I have no bias. I love nearly every motorcycle. But it's you that has the blinkers on....not me.

Bike
    less than I used to have

....are you actually saying anything in particular or having a bit of an internal crisis happening here...and what the fuck is an M50, obviously a standout, shit-kickin machine...i just talked to three mates who ride constantly...and like me , they dont know what one even looks like...you have made me want to ride one though...just as a comparison to a sporty...it wouldn't make me want to ride anything other than my sportster though...some of us, in fact many, many, many lots of us choose our own way and hope that all those that chose different are having us much fun as us...happy angst free trails to yer...

Bike
    2017 Suzuki Dl1000
    Quote Originally Posted by Crasherfromwayback View Post
    Especially as I'll fly them here and put them on the ferry at our expense!

Cheers!!
    Mmmmmm. Might have to see you when I'm ready to change bikes around the end of this year.
    Time to ride

Bike
    Various things
    Quote Originally Posted by Jantar View Post
    Mmmmmm. Might have to see you when I'm ready to change bikes around the end of this year.
    Yeah for sure. But you're capable of flying yourself here!

Bike
    Hey, lighten up dudes! The purpose of my original thread was simple: I loved the look of the 883 and wanted to evaluate whether or not it was worth the price. I also wanted to see how it stacked up against the performance of my cheap horrible, evil, evil, Jappa M50. My humble assessment was that it failed in every category that I consider relevant. Remember: this is my opinion, and I am aware of how precious we can be with brands we love. We should close this thread off with the reality that if you want to spend anywhere from 12k to 17k on an 883 to get it riding on a par with a brit or jappa (that can be bought for half the price)- then that is a personal choice. Just be aware that you can exceed the performance of the honorable 883 at a far lower price with just about any brit or jappa bike. I should point out that I did not even mention the virtues of shaft drive vs belt......don't go there!

Bike
    Sportster
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by AllanB View Post
    If you are looking HD and trying to justify prices etc - forget it. If you want a HD then the cost is the cost. The comparison becomes somewhat irrelevant , YOU WANT A HD. If you want a cruiser and are happy considering all available in your price range ..... different story.

and sometimes you can no way in hell want a harley coz they suck - and then some how bloody crasher sells you one.... been grinning ever since!

never should have taken my mates sporty for a ride... mumble mumble mutter mutter.... before that I knew HD sucked and wasn't worth the money. For me the M50 didn't put a grin on my dial like the sporty did, and for me, that is why I ride. For pleasure... and to get to work.. but even that ride I enjoy.

For me it is the whole package of the sportster, the looks, the sound, the ride. I don't expect it to brake or corner like any other bike. I expect it brake and corner like the bike I test rode and was happy with. It does. I don't care it is "only" an 883, I don't care if it is slower than a metric cruiser or a trumpy cruiser. If I did, I would have bought one of those.

Virtually every rider would change something about their current ride given the spare cash or inclination, and the 883 is no different.
    But I love it as it is. My last two bikes were a DR650 and a SV650 - god those two bikes needed work to reach 'ok'! But both were super fun in their own way and I enjoyed them for what they were and did, not what they weren't and didn't do.

Happy riding on your M50!
    Last edited by wysper; 23rd May 2012 at 21:01. Reason: speeling.. found one probably missed many

Bike
    Various things
    I should point out that I did not even mention the virtues of shaft drive vs belt......don't go there!
    You're right. We can change the gearing on belt drive. We don't have to maintain belts, or even adjust them. They're covered by a two year unlimited mileage warranty...even for stone damage. They're light, clean, silent and take up a fair amount of driveline shock.

Yep...total crap.

Bike
    mutton dressed up as lamb and a 73 XL250
    Quote Originally Posted by Jantar View Post
    Oi...Give me a ring and i will pass you on to him,that way i get my $250

Bike
    Yup, belt drives are probably on par with my maintenance free shaft drive. Just make sure (as the Harley shop chap told me) that when you ride on new seal you check that belt for any stuck rocks on the belt. And of course, belt drives rarely snap so really, I was just crazy comparing shaft vs belt. Go back to original post: 883 vs M50 value/performance. Do I need to say it again? I grew up in the States and have huge respect for the Harley brand, I just think (and know) that the 883 (in it's stock form) is a brilliant marketing exercise (with a very poor performance against it's competitors). Is it worth the money? You decide. And any new riders reading this? Check out the M50!!!

Bike
    Various things
    Quote Originally Posted by 98tls View Post
    Oi...Give me a ring and i will pass you on to him,that way i get my $250
    lol. It's actually supposed to be for customers that've purchased a bike from me...I give them a referral card. But I'm sure if you send peeps my way I'll be able to look after you regardless!

Thread Information