Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Suzuki M50 vs Harley 883 Iron

Bike
    Various things
    Quote Originally Posted by 888 View Post
    Check out the M50!!!
    Yep. Awesome bike. Sold a lot of them new and used. Sold them to friends of mine. They loved them...just like you do. Which is great.

But so are 883's. You just personally prefer M50's.

Bike
    2013 CRF250L & 2007 KLR650
    http://www.popularmechanics.com/cars...eviews/4268696

Read this review, looks like I'm bang on with my own experience riding both bikes.......

Bike
    Disclaimer: I'm not trying to trash Harleys in general. Just the 883. I get really annoyed when manufacturers rip off the customer. Don't worry, I don't even think about this subject when I'm carving up the Waikato on the M50!!

Bike
    2012, H-D, FXDF Fat Bob
    Quote Originally Posted by HenryDorsetCase View Post
    The point is this: none of that applies to H-D. None of it. Analyse it all you want. Blame it on their marketing department. Say the bikes are pieces of poo, (which they are not): If you want a Harley, then nothing else scratches the itch. Its like when you buy a genuine Louis Vuitton handbag, vs the ripoff one with the wonky "L" from the market in Bangkok.
    You're rationalising, and you know it.

And, it doesnt matter WHY you want it, IF you want it. (and people can say "Oh wow, he's totally bought the SOA image" or "Midlife crisis, eh?" or "Weekend badass, weekday accountatn (or lawyer)" or whatever the fuck they want to say. If it makes you grin when you ride it, then it entirely serves its purpose.

Heres a factoid: in a recession luxury brands thrive, generally.

I'd still really like a VT750 Flat tracker, but ....
    What he said
    David
    HD Fat Bob for Stress Relief

Bike
    Various things
    Don't worry, I don't even think about this subject when I'm carving up the Waikato on the M50!!
    Do a track day at Manfield and report back.

Bike
    The purpose of my original thread was simple: I loved the look of the 883 and wanted to evaluate whether or not it was worth the price. I also wanted to see how it stacked up against the performance of my cheap horrible, evil, evil, Jappa M50. My humble assessment was that it failed in every category that I consider relevant.
    Wouldn't you be able to buy a non-cruiser bike that's better than an M50 in every way for less money?

Bike
    I would love to do a track day at Manfield on the M50. In fact, I'd love to do a comparison on a STOCK 883 vs a stock M50! I know who would win. With enough improvements I'm sure the 883 could beat the stock M50...it would be totally immature for me to throw out a challenge to any stock 883 owners against my M50. Oh no, I just did it! Any takers?

Bike
    Make sure there's a camera running.

Bike
    Various things
    I would love to do a track day at Manfield on the M50. In fact, I'd love to do a comparison on a STOCK 883 vs a stock M50! I know who would win. With enough improvements I'm sure the 883 could beat the stock M50...it would be totally immature for me to throw out a challenge to any stock 883 owners against my M50. Oh no, I just did it! Any takers?
    Yep. I'll happily take your challenge. I've got a stock std 883 avail. Make sure your M50 is stock std. Loser parts with $1000.00 cash (for improvements). Fair?

Bike
    Roadstar 1600 & Royal Star Venture
    Quote Originally Posted by testastretta View Post

I prefer sport bikes and couldnt go back to owning just a harley again. But I do enjoy taking my lady's Iron for a blast (the one in the video). We have put about $2000 worth of performance and cosmetic upgrades into it. It runs great and we think it looks great too.
    And there's the 'rub'.... buying the bike and then spending another 2k to get it where it should be from the start. I've ridden big block and sporty's. I'lll still admit the only one I can honestly say I'd own would be the XR1200... that's the 'gem' in the HD range. I just dont like the V rods look. but then I am not fussed on the M109 either.
    If the road to hell is paved with good intentions; and a man is judged by his deeds and his actions, why say it's the thought that counts? -GrayWolf

Bike
    Quote Originally Posted by Crasherfromwayback View Post
    Yep. I'll happily take your challenge. I've got a stock std 883 avail. Make sure your M50 is stock std. Loser parts with $1000.00 cash (for improvements). Fair?
    Just make sure they are BOTH ridden by Race riders, or by 'joe public' rider... Fair??
    If the road to hell is paved with good intentions; and a man is judged by his deeds and his actions, why say it's the thought that counts? -GrayWolf

Bike
    Hey, lighten up dudes! The purpose of my original thread was simple: I loved the look of the 883 and wanted to evaluate whether or not it was worth the price. I also wanted to see how it stacked up against the performance of my cheap horrible, evil, evil, Jappa M50. My humble assessment was that it failed in every category that I consider relevant. Remember: this is my opinion, and I am aware of how precious we can be with brands we love. We should close this thread off with the reality that if you want to spend anywhere from 12k to 17k on an 883 to get it riding on a par with a brit or jappa (that can be bought for half the price)- then that is a personal choice. Just be aware that you can exceed the performance of the honorable 883 at a far lower price with just about any brit or jappa bike. I should point out that I did not even mention the virtues of shaft drive vs belt......don't go there!
    Then you could go the other way, as I have. Bike new was 27k on first shipments... XR1200 performance, big block motor and revs,,, Now many would say an MT-01 was overpriced, and maybe that is correct. About the same price as a base HD big block, but better handling, better brakes and a bit quicker...
    Only 'REAL' advantage over the HD?
    A lot more 'exclusive'...

Bike
    Its a Boat
    Quote Originally Posted by nzspokes View Post
    ''Great fun on the twisties'' ..means, 75-85 bends where indicated.

Reminds me of the warning sign on the Northern side of Mt Messenger which says 'Winding Road Be Patient'

Bike
    Exactly- while the 883 in stock form would surely benefit from the 1K in improvements, I don't really need to do anything to the humble m50. Check out the link I posted where different cruisers were compared. So back to the challenge, I agree that we would need to have the bikes ridden by the same person to truly establish which one performs bettter. I would'nt mind taking the 1k off you (pretty much a given considering the tests that have already been done) so now onto the logistics of who rides both bikes and when.

Bike
    Dog Rooter, 1290 SDR
    so now onto the logistics of who rides both bikes and when.
    I dont see the issue, you ride one each?
    Quote Originally Posted by Katman View Post
    but once again you proved me wrong.
    Quote Originally Posted by cassina View Post
    I was hit by one such driver while remaining in the view of their mirror.

Thread Information