Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Suzuki M50 vs Harley 883 Iron

Bike
    2013 CRF250L & 2007 KLR650

Suzuki M50 vs Harley 883 Iron

I've got a 2009 Suzuki M50 (20,00k's) and I thought....wonder what a Harley 883 Iron would be like? I WAS thinking that it would kick the M50's ass, what with the extra cc's and lighter weight..WRONG. I took a 883 harley (6000+k's) for a test ride and could not wait to get off it. Controls- very thin grips, mirrors sucked and were positioned too low over the hands, minimal engine braking, HORRIBLE riding position (very cramped, and I'm only 5 foot 9), brakes were unimpressive. Exhaust sound???? Totally unimpressive.

I picked up my M50 for around 9k used and it rides awesome, good brakes, sounds throaty, great fun on the twisties, great seating position, blah blah blah.

Harley? 12k used, I'd have to spend another $750 for the forward controls, get bigger grips, change the exhaust......

VERDICT: Suzuki M50 smokes Harley 883. And wait till I put the Vance and Hines 2-1 exhaust on it. My Suzuki might not have the resale value of an 883, but I'm happy with my choice that's for sure!

Bike
    Triumph Saint,Triumph Adventurer
    Feel better now.

Bike
    2012, H-D, FXDF Fat Bob
    Good on you different strokes for different folks BUT a Suzuki is not a Harley.

And just so you know I'm taking the micky I've never claimed my Harley is the best bike made, it's simply a Harley
    David
    HD Fat Bob for Stress Relief

Bike
    xr1200hd,99 dyna + choppers
    Sorry but I've heard an m50 with vance + hines pipes and it wasn't nice.

Bike
    2012 Triumph Rocket III Touring
    Quote Originally Posted by BIG DOUG View Post
    Sorry but I've heard an m50 with vance + hines pipes and it wasn't nice.
    I have too and it was!

Bikes are bikes, there's no right, wrong or better. Anything on 2 wheels is ok by me . . . . . . . except Honda's of course!

I will be putting a set of these on my M50 at some stage

http://www.vanceandhines.com/store/metric/suzuki/48293

"Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy" - Benjamin Franklin

Bike
    1990 Yamaha Virago XV1100
    Quote Originally Posted by Zamiam View Post
    Good on you different strokes for different folks BUT a Suzuki is not a Harley...
    Correct. A Suzuki is not a Honda either. Or a Hyosung.
    Can I believe the magic of your size... (The Shirelles)

Bike
    Dog Rooter, 1290 SDR
    Quote Originally Posted by 888 View Post
    great fun on the twisties,
    Quote Originally Posted by Katman View Post
    but once again you proved me wrong.
    Quote Originally Posted by cassina View Post
    I was hit by one such driver while remaining in the view of their mirror.

Bike
    Street Triple R
    Funny, I intend to buy a cruiser next, and I am fixated on a H-D Nightster. Or perhaps an Iron. Dont want a big twin. (I'm short so the Sporty fits me). Ive really enjoyed the bikes I have test ridden, but I just cannot reconcile the prices: in particular the used prices people are asking. A Nightster brand new was $16.5k, and people want $14 to $15k second hand. Usually theyve fucked them up by putting forward controls on them, or whatever. I had in mind $11k as a budget: Id probably get an Iron for that, or an 883R.

But

I can go to my local Honda dealer and buy a brand new VT750S for $12500. Its the same motor as the VT750C but it is lighter. a bit taller. Has chain drive and is a Honda. 3 valve cylinder heads, EFI, 2 year warranty. Decent ergos (I have sat, not ridden) very well finished, and there is a thriving aftermarket for them out of the US. Only in a lame blue colour in NZ not the flat track inspired scheme but I would paint it purple metalflake anyway (quoted $800 from a client who is a painter).

I'd rather have the Honda. Also check these out.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5IGdJqqFu-E

http://www.honda-motorcycles.co.nz/BikeModel/426/vt750s

http://thekneeslider.com/archives/20...-rs750-shadow/

that dirt track custom is well cool.

anyone want to buy my scooter? and shares in a kidney?
    I thought elections were decided by angry posts on social media. - F5 Dave

Bike
    Street Triple R
    Quote Originally Posted by nzspokes View Post
    horses for courses. I rented a VT750C in Noosa and went for a day ride round the glasshouse mountains (had breakfast in Gympie - why wouldnt you?). Not fast, just cruising around looking at the scenery and whatnot. One of the best and most memorable rides I have ever had, it was choice. Dont knock a cruiser till youve tried one.
    I thought elections were decided by angry posts on social media. - F5 Dave

Bike
    Various things
    Quote Originally Posted by HenryDorsetCase View Post
    But

, 2 year warranty.
    I'll happily give you a two year warranty on a used HD mate.

Bike
    I still think the blacked out 883 Iron looks great, but I just can't understand the way over the top cost to get one up to speed. Everyone knows that Harley make their money on the accessories and I applaud Harley on their brilliant marketing- but the 883 just can't hold a candle on my Jappa bike. I was sincerely thinking (before the test ride) that I was going to be impressed with the 883, but as I stated in my previous post- the little 883 just a'int got it. I'm sure that a V-Rod (or any larger Harley) might be awesome to ride, but if I ever decide to move up in cc's- it will be a Suzuki M109. I refuse to pay for marketing, but I don't think any less of those who do!

Bike
    Roadstar 1600 & Royal Star Venture
    Quote Originally Posted by Zamiam View Post
    Good on you different strokes for different folks BUT a Suzuki is not a Harley.

And just so you know I've had the mickey taken frequently. I've never claimed my Harley is the best bike made (that admission just got me a life ban from HOG), it's a simple Harley.
    there fixed it
    If the road to hell is paved with good intentions; and a man is judged by his deeds and his actions, why say it's the thought that counts? -GrayWolf

Bike
    Roadstar 1600 & Royal Star Venture
    I still think the blacked out 883 Iron looks great, but I just can't understand the way over the top cost to get one up to speed. Everyone knows that Harley make their money on the accessories and I applaud Harley on their brilliant marketing- but the 883 just can't hold a candle on my Jappa bike. I was sincerely thinking (before the test ride) that I was going to be impressed with the 883, but as I stated in my previous post- the little 883 just a'int got it. I'm sure that a V-Rod (or any larger Harley) might be awesome to ride, but if I ever decide to move up in cc's- it will be a Suzuki M109. I refuse to pay for marketing, but I don't think any less of those who do!
    I guess it comes down to personal choice as always and if you want the 'lifestyle' (wannabe, bad ass accountant) or ride for the simple pleasure. I accept that there are many HD owners who do thoroughly enjoy the product, there are however many who simply buy into the image, and good marketing ploy HD, they really have it sorted! The jap shit arguement raged when I was a lad in the UK, with the arrival of the Honda 750, kwacka triples and then the Z1... Reality is there are more 'original condition' hondas, kwack's etc to be seen than triumphs and nortons etc of the period. The main advantage of HD ownership is the spares availability unlike the JAPANESE built in (5yr) obsolescence. Triumph and even now Moto Guzzi have excellent products that are worthy opponents for the 'heritage named brand'. So if you fancy something a little different? I would say go have a look at the older triumph Legend 900cc triple, or an Bonny America/s\Speedmaster.
    If the road to hell is paved with good intentions; and a man is judged by his deeds and his actions, why say it's the thought that counts? -GrayWolf

Bike
    Sportster
    Blog Entries
    but the 883 just can't hold a candle on my Jappa bike.
    Heres the thing, Harley isn't trying to hold a candle to your Jappa bike.

Bike
    You are absolutely bang on with your comment; Harley does not try and compare with other brands. They sell the image, not the performance- and that is an excellent marketing ploy. I was wrong in my initial assumptions that the 883 would impress me and it very well might of done so, if I had not ridden "other" motorcycle brands (that focus on performance at an affordable cost). While the Suzuki M90 looks awesome and I'd love to have one, Triumph have some amazing cruisers that I would seriously consider as well...but lets get back to my original purpose in posting the thread: the 883 iron is a wildly overpriced and under performing cruiser. Don't forget the Royal Enfield if you want true class at a low cost......

Thread Information