Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Which 650cc twin to choose for ProTwin or F3?

Bike
    BMW
    Seen we are dreaming why not just put the er6 in a suter chassis..... Id race that!

Bike
    BMW
    Actually a zx6r handles pretty well, you would think it would be easy enough to ezz the 650 in. Im sure Glen has thought about putting the SV in a GSXR. Are they too heavy or something or just not suitable?

Bike
    F3 racebike, Ducatis
    Quote Originally Posted by CHOPPA View Post
    Actually a zx6r handles pretty well, you would think it would be easy enough to ezz the 650 in. Im sure Glen has thought about putting the SV in a GSXR. Are they too heavy or something or just not suitable?
    Yeah, waaaay to heavy. Class leader is Tigcraft at mid 70's hp & 100kg ish weight.

Thats pretty hard to match with either ER6 or SV, although Er6 offers greater amount of doner frame options, road based items mostly being all to heavy and with commuter geometry.

Bike
    Quote Originally Posted by codgyoleracer View Post
    After seeeing the results of the 650 twins class at Isle of man, top 16 are kawaski ER6's,

'cause er6 engine is bloody good. torques low and screams pretty high for a twin.
    it doesn't drink so much even...

all the probs that the er6 has are not related to the engine, but to a really cheap budget minded dynamic part: swap the fork and the swingarm, change the dumper and the brakes and you'll have a great bike.

then, if you can keep just the engine and put it in a proper frame...

Bike
    Exxon Valdez
    Quote Originally Posted by gixerracer View Post
    Your level of stupidness never stops amazing me Drew. Of all the frames you could chose why the hell would you chose a near 20 year old ill handling shitbox like that when you could use an RS250 or tz etc
    Because the ER motor is quite wide, and wouldn't fit in an RS frame, it possibly won't even fit in the RGV frame, and they are quite wide between the frame spars to accomodate the air box.

Who's stupid now old man?

Bike
    A fast one
    As if kwakas dominating at IOM twins class isnt enough............... check out Triumph at last round of British Supersport at Snetterton..................

Bike
    SV400
    Quote Originally Posted by Drew View Post
    Because the ER motor is quite wide, and wouldn't fit in an RS frame, it possibly won't even fit in the RGV frame, and they are quite wide between the frame spars to accommodate the air box.

Talking F3 it comes down to budget and what the rules let you get away with so why would anyone piss around with a ER6 when the Aprilia 550 is legal and is about half the size and weight and makes more power.And the frame and every thing else can be a custom anything you want right?

As for Pro twins here in NZ it is a feeder low budget class any mods are purely for safety/practical reasons just to get a sport/commuter bike race prepped.

The Irish and TT rules are a mix of the two above to keep the class (cheap) ie around 12.000 pound to build a bike.

Bike
    Exxon Valdez
    For pro twins, I'm surprised no one has found a damaged cagiva raptor. Decent brakes and cartridge forks.

Bike
    SV400
    For pro twins, I'm surprised no one has found a damaged cagiva raptor. Decent brakes and cartridge forks.

Don't think Cagiva sold enough 650 Raptors to get homologated. Is it on the list?

http://www.fischer1.com/specs.htm

Bike
    Street Triple R
    Because the ER motor is quite wide, and wouldn't fit in an RS frame, it possibly won't even fit in the RGV frame, and they are quite wide between the frame spars to accomodate the air box.

I've an NC30 rolling chassis (well its not rolling yet but it could be with a weekends work) if someone wants to measure it up. Or put an ER6 motor in the post to me.
    I thought elections were decided by angry posts on social media. - F5 Dave

Bike
    Street Triple R
    All the ones of that I have seen have been really expensive
    I thought elections were decided by angry posts on social media. - F5 Dave

Bike
    Then there's also the Hysoung 650 option as well.

My SV is great. I thought about an ER but a SV come up at the right time instead so went with that. Though in Ireland seems the ER's are the way to go.

Theres Mintwin racing in the UK : http://www.minitwins.co.uk/rules/rules2011a.html

And loose Supertwin rules : http://www.realroadracing.com/forum/...6b08ed2cdefc0e

And a Supertwin SV for sale : http://www.jhsracing.co.uk/mini_twins.htm POA sounds cheap....

Bike
    CB919, 1090R, R1200GSA
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Shorty_925 View Post
    Then there's also the Hysoung 650 option as well.
    I think I saw somewhere that Hyosung is looking at the viability and interest in running a 650 class in the same format as their 250 class here.

I would imagine it would then make a very good choice, as it would be eligible for pro-twins as well?
    Quote Originally Posted by Jane Omorogbe from UK MSN on the KTM990SM
    It's barking mad and if it doesn't turn you into a complete loon within half an hour of cocking a leg over the lofty 875mm seat height, I'll eat my Arai.

Bike
    Quote Originally Posted by Gremlin View Post
    I think I saw somewhere that Hyosung is looking at the viability and interest in running a 650 class in the same format as their 250 class here.

I would imagine it would then make a very good choice, as it would be eligible for pro-twins as well?
    Yes saw that part in the AMCC newsletter. If the rules for the two are the same then no reason why they couldnt cross over.

Bike
    A fast one
    Quote Originally Posted by Shorty_925 View Post
    Yes saw that part in the AMCC newsletter. If the rules for the two are the same then no reason why they couldnt cross over.
    Just a way of selling more Hyosungs as race bikes......... only way to make that viable is to set up a one make series. They are eligible for protwin as they are 250 production.... as for contenders for those champs........ need one hell of a rider..............
    Ask Jay how hard he had to peddle his Hyosung a couple of years back.

Thread Information