Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: This computer is fucking me off

Bike
    77' CB750 Cafe Racer, 2009 Z750
    My bike overheats when I do more than 140KPH for more than 5 minutes, now I don΄t go over 120KPH - problem fixed! I think you masked the problem not cured it.
    I love the smell of twin V16's in the morning..

Bike
    Aprillia RSV1000R 92 KX500
    Blog Entries
    Had a similar thing going on last year, chased my arse all over the show. The weirdest shit was happening, I was convinced it had a virus. On one occasion I opened task manager and it had Chinese characters all over the show! Turned out it was a faulty hard drive. Win7 is usually pretty good. I'm wondering if it was insisting on installing to the same sectors on the drive, and maybe Linux installed on different sectors. Sounds like you sorted anyways.

Bike
    2007 Triumph Tiger 1050
    Blog Entries
    in that case it was hardware and not PSU.. and the fault isnt resolved... eventually the component will just fail.

If you grep syslog or dmesg you might find some hints as to what it is.

Windows will just fart and die, linux will record the errors and keep on running (thusly I have not used windows (except for my work desktop because I have to) for 10 years)
    "If a million people say a foolish thing, it is still a foolish thing." - Anatole France
    "An education isn't how much you have committed to memory, or even how much you know. It's being able to differentiate between what you know and what you don't." - Anatole France
    ZRXOA #9170

Bike
    Suzuki GSX1250FA, TGB 50cc moped
    Quote Originally Posted by SMOKEU View Post
    I fixed the problem. I uninstalled Windows and replaced it with Linux. The stability has been rock solid ever since.
    Same here. Had a windows machine that had a HDD failure. Win had been preinstalled and both the supplier and Microsoft wanted more cash for a copy of the operating system I had already bought and paid for.

So I put Ubuntu on.

It installed perfectly. Found all its drivers itself, and hasn't caused me any grief at all.

I can't fault it, its stable, fast and looks great.

The bummer is a dependence on windows based invoicing and CAD apps which I cant find Linux versions of, and I haven't (yet) got reliable under WINE.
    David must play fair with the other kids, even the idiots.

Bike
    R1150RT
    Blog Entries
    Dual boot to a winxp partition when you must - sorted

Sent from my MB525 using Tapatalk 2

Bike
    Your mom
    That gave me a great idea. I'll install Windows onto a HDD instead of my SSD and see how that goes. That way I can easily determine if the SSD is faulty or not.

I find it funny how I'm doing a computing degree but we don't even get taught basic hardware fault finding. It's not much use knowing how to write software or anything like that if I can't even get the fucking thing working in the first place.

Bike
    1987 GPX 250
    That gave me a great idea. I'll install Windows onto a HDD instead of my SSD and see how that goes. That way I can easily determine if the SSD is faulty or not.

I find it funny how I'm doing a computing degree but we don't even get taught basic hardware fault finding. It's not much use knowing how to write software or anything like that if I can't even get the fucking thing working in the first place.
    Pretty sure you can do some hardware courses if you want to.

Bike
    invisibike
    Blog Entries
    for cad software in ubuntu, go into your software sources and make sure you have all the latest repositories, enable the universe and multiverse and maybe even google for some CAD-specific repositories, then reload synaptic and you'll have a heap-um software listed, select "not currently installed" tab in LH then search "CAD"... i'm sure you'll find something. WINE is pretty average, try a VM, install windows to the VM. done, and you don't f*ck up your nice ext FS.

+1 for dual booting, but that means you have to part your HDD(s) or as you've said, install windows on a different one, set your linux HDD/partition to boot, then point your GRUB to the windows disk/part (all pretty easy)

linux handles dying hard drives better than windows, so i all likelihood if win was installed on a mech drive, it will be the drive dying, you can get diagnostic tools a plenty but prossibly best is to run M$ chkdsk over it from a null-boot, get something awesome like UBCD - it has most things you will ever need. (but not chkdsk ><)

windows killed my 2TB (backup!!!!) disk by eating the lead in of the file system, now it comes up with "drive is not formatted"
    F@CK.
    i'm still waiting until i can afford another 2tb to ddrescue it to...

Bike
    CB919, 1090R, R1200GSA
    Blog Entries
    Computing/IT is like medicine now. You don't get a degree in medicine, you focus on a specific subset.

Software and hardware rarely mix, other than having to bring them together. VBScript is as close to coding as I get, I'm hardware, ie, desktops, servers, firewalls and printers. Even that is very general compared to some.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jane Omorogbe from UK MSN on the KTM990SM
    It's barking mad and if it doesn't turn you into a complete loon within half an hour of cocking a leg over the lofty 875mm seat height, I'll eat my Arai.

Bike
    Suzuki GSX1250FA, TGB 50cc moped
    Quote Originally Posted by Akzle View Post
    WINE is pretty average, try a VM, install windows to the VM. done, and you don't f*ck up your nice ext FS.
    I'm actually keener just to move everything to Ubuntu. When I replace my invoicing software I will be choosing one that runs under Ubuntu, and I am going to upgrade to a Linux version of my CAD software anyway.

I still find I get lots of Microsoft shit sent me by government departments.

The latest is a series of forms I am required to fill out for some special licences the company holds.

They are all in Microsoft DOCX crap format. I have sent them back and said I don't have Microsoft Office, please send in a standard industry format.
    David must play fair with the other kids, even the idiots.

Bike
    Your mom
    Faulty SSD it is. I installed Windows 7 again onto a HDD off the same disc with the same drivers and all the same software as I did before with the SSD. It works fine now. So now I need a new SSD, as once you've had a SSD, you can never go back to a HDD. Sort of like when you get your first big bike, you can never go back to a 250, if you want to use that analogy. Now, I need help choosing a new SSD. I have narrowed it down to the following:

ADATA S510

Corsair Force 3

Intel 330

OCZ Agility 3

Crucial M4

All but the Crucial M4 use the SF2200 controller, which is known to have questionable reliability. The Intel is slightly on the pricey side, but I might be able to scrape up the cash.

Bike
    1987 GPX 250
    I got a crucial M4 128 GB from amazon for $150. About 1 week later they stopped shipping them to NZ.

Grab one from fleabay.

Bike
    '01 RC51 SP1, '19 EXC300
    I've had two friends have problems with OCZ SSDs and bluescreens. One was fixed by replacing the Ssd, the other by flashing the SSD firmware.
    What part of for(int i=0xC02;putchar((i&7)+69)&&(i>>=3); ); don't you understand?

Bike
    Your mom
    Quote Originally Posted by sil3nt View Post
    I got a crucial M4 128 GB from amazon for $150. About 1 week later they stopped shipping them to NZ.

Grab one from fleabay.
    Are you running the stock firmware on yours? Apparently if you flash it you can get performance that's very close to that of a typical SF2200 drive.

Bike
    1987 GPX 250
    Are you running the stock firmware on yours? Apparently if you flash it you can get performance that's very close to that of a typical SF2200 drive.
    I am the plug and play type. No desire to mess with it. It boots from cold to desktop in under 20 seconds (haven't timed it probably faster) whereas my old HDD would be over a minute (easier to buy SSD than to backup HDD and format it...was seriously slow with all the crap on it).

Thread Information