Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: This computer is fucking me off

Bike
    CB919, 1090R, R1200GSA
    Blog Entries
    Intel whatever... they're proving to be the reliable options at the moment.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jane Omorogbe from UK MSN on the KTM990SM
    It's barking mad and if it doesn't turn you into a complete loon within half an hour of cocking a leg over the lofty 875mm seat height, I'll eat my Arai.

Bike
    Your mom
    BTW, whichever drive I choose must be a SATA 3 since my motherboard has a SATA 3 controller (all the SSDs I listed are SATA 3).

Bike
    Enfield cr250r
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by davereid View Post
    Same here. Had a windows machine that had a HDD failure. Win had been preinstalled and both the supplier and Microsoft wanted more cash for a copy of the operating system I had already bought and paid for.

So I put Ubuntu on.

It installed perfectly. Found all its drivers itself, and hasn't caused me any grief at all.

I can't fault it, its stable, fast and looks great.

The bummer is a dependence on windows based invoicing and CAD apps which I cant find Linux versions of, and I haven't (yet) got reliable under WINE.
    Varicad , I have a copy u can have + CAELinux,,, yes here we Do have a magor flaw in linux , the programs a free, and work and can be chopped around , BUT for top end cad work , sadly lacking

Varicad , Blender ( getting good now) meshlabs salome .... I wish there was a solid works for linux , or catia work on a linux platform

Stephen

PPPPSSSS ....virtual box with windows ( yik) is a good way ...wine just never seems to play ball ...except sketchup 8
    "Look, Madame, where we live, look how we live ... look at the life we have...The Republic has forgotten us."

Bike
    1987 GPX 250
    Quote Originally Posted by SMOKEU View Post
    BTW, whichever drive I choose must be a SATA 3 since my motherboard has a SATA 3 controller (all the SSDs I listed are SATA 3).
    Crucial and Intel would be the only ones I would touch.

For me it was between the M4 and the 320. No idea what the 330 is like!

Bike
    750 auw

It doesn't have to be sata3, you can still use a sata2 drive.

Intel 330 has 3 year warranty (not sure why but eek!). The 320 and 520 have a 5 year warranty (woohoo). 320 is only Sata2. = Intel 520

Bike
    invisibike
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Brian d'marge View Post
    BUT for top end cad work , sadly lacking
    send letters/emails to the harware manufacturers to release opensource OR compatible hardware drivers for linux OSes. the only way the hardware shits in bed with M$ will change is when the consumers demand it.

Bike
    Suzuki GSX1250FA, TGB 50cc moped
    Quote Originally Posted by Brian d'marge View Post
    Varicad , I have a copy u can have + CAELinux,,, yes here we Do have a magor flaw in linux , the programs a free, and work and can be chopped around , BUT for top end cad work , sadly lacking
    Thanks very much for the offer, but you need to be way smarter than me to do top end mechanical CAD, I struggle with the sketchy programs....

I am currently migrating all my PCB designs to Designworks, which runs on both Linux and Doze.

Its ideal for me, as I often do design at customers premises on customer machines and they are gmint depts, which means Windows.

After reading the thread I downloaded and installed Virtual Box.

I am disappointed to report it downloaded, installed, self configured and ran perfectly.

I installed WINXP in it. And even when XP crashes VB shrugs it off. So I can run my old invoicing program. And it will do.

Thanks much
    David must play fair with the other kids, even the idiots.

Bike
    Your mom
    Quote Originally Posted by Usarka View Post
    It doesn't have to be sata3, you can still use a sata2 drive.

Intel 330 has 3 year warranty (not sure why but eek!). The 320 and 520 have a 5 year warranty (woohoo). 320 is only Sata2. = Intel 520
    I currently have a SATA 2 SSD, but I don't want to buy another one seeing that a SATA 3 SSD is only going to be around $30 more.

There has been quite a bit of discussion on the SF2200 controllers failing, and since the Intel drive that I mentioned uses that specific controller, I'm wondering what the reliability will be like. Intel drives do a pretty good reputation, though.

Bike
    invisibike
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by davereid View Post
    I am disappointed to report it downloaded, installed, self configured and ran perfectly.

I installed WINXP in it. And even when XP crashes VB shrugs it off. So I can run my old invoicing program. And it will do.
    XP shouldn't be crashing in VB (any more than otherwise) adjust your config, make windows page file happy. also if you're porting your drives (HDD, optical, floppy whatever) windows sometimes shits through VB, there's always a workaround. check out the developers pages and/or the buntu help forums.

Bike
    Your mom
    I ran Memtest86+ with both DIMMs and the results are here. I didn't want to embed the pic in case the mods get shitty due to the resolution. At least RAM is cheaper than a SSD, so that's some good news.

Bike
    Your mom
    I tested each stick individually with Memtest 86+ 4.20 for at least 5 hours and didn't get any errors. I only get errors when I'm running both sticks simultaneously.

Bike
    SF
    I tested each stick individually with Memtest 86+ 4.20 for at least 5 hours and didn't get any errors. I only get errors when I'm running both sticks simultaneously.
    Are the sticks identical?

Bike
    tedium
    Adata S510 or S511. They come with a nice copy of Acronis too so you can easily clone your disk. Fast and not stupid priced. Have had no issues with them.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kickha
    Fuck off, cheese has no place in pies
    Quote Originally Posted by Akzle
    i would could and can, put a fat fuck down with a bit of brass.

Bike
    Your mom
    Quote Originally Posted by steve_t View Post
    Are the sticks identical?
    Yes, both sticks are identical. They came in a dual channel kit.

Bike
    SF
    Yes, both sticks are identical. They came in a dual channel kit.
    So you'll be looking at new sticks or a new mobo again I guess

Thread Information