Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: This computer is fucking me off

Bike
    Your mom

This computer is fucking me off

After just having replaced the second faulty motherboard on this computer, I installed a legit copy of Windows 7 Pro. The computer randomly restarts every few minutes now, and I get the usual black screen upon start up asking me what I want to do after an unexpected shut down. I'm seriously starting to hate this fucking thing.

Bike
    2007 Triumph Tiger 1050
    Blog Entries
    so.. faulty component (video/sound/network) or more likely, stuffed power supply.
    "If a million people say a foolish thing, it is still a foolish thing." - Anatole France
    "An education isn't how much you have committed to memory, or even how much you know. It's being able to differentiate between what you know and what you don't." - Anatole France
    ZRXOA #9170

Bike
    SV 650 Race bike, ZZR 250 in pieces
    Blog Entries
    Doubt it would be this but just on a random note, heard of running viruses that enter the shutdown command into CMD Prompt and set the timer for whatever so that the computer continually shuts down. To be a real pain in the ass you can set it to 30 seconds or whatever so that the user has no time to go into CMD Prompt and cancel the shut down sequence and you are really screwed.
    Rest in peace Tony - you will be missed.

Bike
    2015, Ducati Streetfighter
    Blog Entries
    Ah shit man. Is this the one you've been building up.

Bike
    Your mom
    PSU is a Corsair TX950, so not something cheap. I'd also expect it to turn off rather than restart if it was the PSU. I just reinstalled Windows and the problem persists.

Bike
    Your mom
    Quote Originally Posted by The Singing Chef View Post
    Doubt it would be this but just on a random note, heard of running viruses that enter the shutdown command into CMD Prompt and set the timer for whatever so that the computer continually shuts down. To be a real pain in the ass you can set it to 30 seconds or whatever so that the user has no time to go into CMD Prompt and cancel the shut down sequence and you are really screwed.
    That's why I disconnected all drives except for boot drive and optical drive with OS image before installation.
    Quote Originally Posted by AllanB View Post
    Ah shit man. Is this the one you've been building up.
    Yup, I've spent over $3k on it in the past year and I don't get more than 3 months out of it before something else goes wrong.

Bike
    GSX-R1100
    Get a puppy, bitches love puppy's.

Bike
    2007 Triumph Tiger 1050
    Blog Entries
    doesnt matter how expensive the PSU is.. Its quite common.. it overheats or for some reason resets itself, computer powers off and on again.. I see it day after day after day ... At least you can throw another one in and test it.
    "If a million people say a foolish thing, it is still a foolish thing." - Anatole France
    "An education isn't how much you have committed to memory, or even how much you know. It's being able to differentiate between what you know and what you don't." - Anatole France
    ZRXOA #9170

Bike
    SF
    +1 for PSU or RAM

Bike
    RC36, RC31, KR-E, CR125
    Quote Originally Posted by iYRe View Post
    doesnt matter how expensive the PSU is.. Its quite common.. it overheats or for some reason resets itself, computer powers off and on again.. I see it day after day after day ... At least you can throw another one in and test it.
    Should be able to get temperature diagnostic tools on there if it will run stable for long enough. Speedfan is a damn good free one.
    "A shark on whiskey is mighty risky, but a shark on beer is a beer engineer" - Tad Ghostal

Bike
    CB919, 1090R, R1200GSA
    Blog Entries
    Memtest it for several cycles. If it shuts off during that period as well, then you know it's not software related, but with a new OS build, it's highly unlikely. If you get errors, well, that's easy too, now you know where at least one issue is. Memtest will not capture all errors, but it will catch the nice easy ones.

I'd swap the PSU. Brand doesn't really mean much any more. I have a ... fuck, can't remember. Was a good brand, but went down hill. It always goes like that, stop assuming one brand is good for ever and ever, or worse, assuming it's a good brand, so ignoring the troubleshooting. Suspect everything until proven wrong.

Also look to BIOS version, if you haven't updated that.

I suspect you're also on the outer reaches of the curve of tech... stop doing that as well, it's a pain in the arse. We went through 3 motherboards, before we could find one that could handle 4x 2gb high speed DDR2 sticks. It happens.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jane Omorogbe from UK MSN on the KTM990SM
    It's barking mad and if it doesn't turn you into a complete loon within half an hour of cocking a leg over the lofty 875mm seat height, I'll eat my Arai.

Bike
    750 auw
    Quote Originally Posted by Gremlin View Post
    I suspect you're also on the outer reaches of the curve of tech...
    AKA the bleeding edge.

Bike
    2007 Triumph Tiger 1050
    Blog Entries
    from bitter experience... buying the flashest and fastest doesnt necessarily mean it is better, reliable,etc... on the contrary.. the opposite applies.

We run a number of high performance video editing, audio editing workstations (I work at a radio/tv station), and never go for the "gamer" stuff. It's a waste of money. In saying that, one video card for an editing suite for the TV station is worth $2500 minimum.

One of said workstations was doing exactly what your's is, and replaced the PSU THREE FREAKING TIMES!!! before we got one that worked properly. Another one was doing a similar thing, however in this case someone had broken off a usb device inside the front usb slot, and for some reason, any time anything accessed a usb device, windows would reboot.

So.. hardware it is. Most likely PSU.
    ZRXOA #9170

Bike
    Your mom
    I fixed the problem. I uninstalled Windows and replaced it with Linux. The stability has been rock solid ever since.

Bike
    Enfield cr250r
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by SMOKEU View Post
    I fixed the problem. I uninstalled Windows and replaced it with Linux. The stability has been rock solid ever since.

Ha hahaha I was going to say that,,,

Stephen
    "Look, Madame, where we live, look how we live ... look at the life we have...The Republic has forgotten us."

Thread Information