Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Wanted: 74/75 850 Commando

Bike
    1972 Norton Commando
    Kickaha PM'ed to add my 2 pennys worth.

I always wanted a 850 Mk 3 with disc brake rear and electric start and Interstate tank......I now have a 72 Combat Roadster that is kick only...and RHS upside down shift...its awesome and I don't care that I have to refuel after 200 kms. The front disc is rubbish but the rear drum is very good, I have ridden one 850 and it was pretty ordinary after riding the Combat. If I want electric start, decent brakes, and lh shifter I take out the Darmah. ( but its reg is on hold as its a modern...the 72 is $117 a year so its always registered.)
    As for buying one....I'd go for one that has been rebuilt and used as opposed to the " only done 250 miles since restoration" ones.
    Parts availability is great, you can buy almost everything....maybe even everything.
    For me its a perfect Brit bike, nice to ride, easy to work on and parts are cheapish.....and lots of mods available....and that sound...nothing like it....Ducatis come close but not the modern ones...
    Budget for $10- 12 k for good one.
    My mate BIL wheels and deals in them....has one on at mo..
    http://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/List...x?id=480359186
    You'd be better off buying my Thruxton and not having to spanner and break down....

Bike
    TF125
    Quote Originally Posted by 98tls View Post
    ...the TL is sold as off a few hours back...
    It has begun...

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	img_142205_2012-doomsday.jpg 
Views:	4 
Size:	29.3 KB 
ID:	264449

Bike
    So old you won't care
    I cant say I'm familiar with a 850 Mk4 Commando.

There are basically 750 and 850 types

750's were Mk 1, 11, 111, 1V

850's were Mk1, 11, 11a and 111

There is the original commando (model 20 mark III) laterly known as the fastback followed by a model R and S. They became the Roadster and S (roadster was essentially an S with low pipes). Then the was a fastback LR (long range) which had an old dommie tank, an SS and production racer.

Then came the interstate and combat. The combat gave 5 extra bhp and had the disk brake which was unique to Norton and expensive to develop so the combat was a premium model (cough).

The 1975 Mk 111 had rear disk, updated isolastics, electric start and left side gear change...

Cant say I cant think what else was done to make a Mk4 unless its one of the brand new ones you can now purchase from the guys who make spares - ie - a brand new commando in what ever flavour you want with an engine out to 1000cc if you want....

Anyway - there is a breakdown on their site

http://www.norvilmotorcycle.co.uk/

Bike
    BSA A10
    Ive been a long time follower of what you can buy for the Commandos,blinged out?depends what you call blinged out
    When I was looking for one back in the early nineties before I bought the Darmah I was looking at shit like this http://www.norvilmotorcycle.co.uk/069808.htm, belt drive kits, proper oil filter system, 5 speed, etc etc etc, pretty easy to spend double the value of the bike
    my plan is to keep it old school in the cafe racer lookdepending on whats what with the one i buy an old school but tasty single seat conversion will be up there on the list.
    Pretty sure Eurodave does the Norvil seat for them

Last (and first) one I rode was a 1969 Mk1, great motor, drum brakes were good to , the owner totalled it a couple of months later when he hit a U turning car

Sure you don't want me to put you in touch with the guy who has your old mans 900SS
    "If you can make black marks on a straight from the time you turn out of a corner until the braking point of the next turn, then you have enough power."

Quote Originally Posted by scracha View Post
    Even BP would shy away from cleaning up a sidecar oil spill.
    Quote Originally Posted by Warren Zevon
    Send Lawyers, guns and money, the shit has hit the fan

Bike
    Smokers and a tractor
    Quote Originally Posted by Voltaire View Post

I have ridden one 850 and it was pretty ordinary after riding the Combat. If I want electric start, decent brakes, and lh shifter I take out the Darmah.
    You'd be better off buying my Thruxton and not having to spanner and break down....
    This guys on bad drugs...so don't listen to any of it.The Mk III is the discerning riders Norton.Everything mentioned is an easy as fix (except for riding a Triumph)

Bike
    Exercycle
    Yep, everything on them is fixable - and usually has to be...Stu Avant raced an Interstate for Tommy's shop....but not for long.
    Tommy was horrified at the cost of repairs....

If you want ideas on how to bling one up, some time back (pre quakes) Phil Garrett showed me a Commando he'd bought which has every Dunstall part made for Commandos fitted to it...including bits I never knew they made. Very nice indeed.
    I've also spotted a John Player Replica in ChCh....

Bike
    1972 Norton Commando
    Whats the big deal with belt drives, 5 speed box conversions electric start, Mikuni carb conversions and lh gear shift.......may as well just buy a modern Triumph and pretend your a classic bike fan.....mines still for sale.....60 dreamers watching it.

I've dumbed mine down with a 3 phase alternator and electronic ignition....and a pushrod seal conversion to stop tranny oil getting on the clutch..

My next mod is a Landsdown fork conversion....and maybe a smaller diameter master cylinder.....oh and led indicators...

I don't think I would want to take one racing.....too fragile and expensive.....I'd go German.

Bike
    BSA A10
    Whats the big deal with belt drives, 5 speed box conversions electric start, Mikuni carb conversions and lh gear shift.......
    Wank factor, did you ever see his TL?
    My next mod is a Landsdown fork conversion...
    That's a quite good bit of kit, wonder if it could be adapted to fit BMW forks
    "If you can make black marks on a straight from the time you turn out of a corner until the braking point of the next turn, then you have enough power."

Bike
    1972 Norton Commando
    Quote Originally Posted by Kickaha View Post
    Wank factor, did you ever see his TL?
    I don't even know what a TL is....or anything much made in the last 25 years.

That's a quite good bit of kit, wonder if it could be adapted to fit BMW forks
    No....the Roadholders are quite different inside. For the BMW the racetech emulators and linear springs work well.

So got Dads BSA on the road yet.....

Bike
    A few
    You buggers have got me all excited again , think i might need a heater out there ! Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Norton 001.jpg 
Views:	42 
Size:	772.1 KB 
ID:	264461

Name:	Picture 016.jpg 
Views:	34 
Size:	603.8 KB 
ID:	264462

Fuck i aint even looked at it for 12 months
    A girlfriend once asked " Why is it you seem to prefer to race, than spend time with me ?"
    The answer was simple ! "I'll prolly get bored with racing too, once i've nailed it !"

Bowls can wait !

Bike
    1972 Norton Commando
    Quote Originally Posted by sinfull View Post
    You buggers have got me all excited again , think i might need a heater out there ! Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Norton 001.jpg 
Views:	42 
Size:	772.1 KB 
ID:	264461

Name:	Picture 016.jpg 
Views:	34 
Size:	603.8 KB 
ID:	264462

Fuck i aint even looked at it for 12 months
    C'mon....gotta be a good story in there...?

Us classics guys like project stories.....

have you seen the project one on TM that gets offered out once a fortnight for about 7K ?

http://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/List...x?id=480273218

I did a post on my Commando Clutch a while back and had no response...assumed there were no Commando fans here...
    http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/sh...lutch-Part-One

Bike
    A few
    C'mon....gotta be a good story in there...?

Us classics guys like project stories.....
    Kinda scary when i look back and see the date i last touched the muddy waters project
    http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/sh...d-garage-blues!

Gave away plans to race this bike, it's gonna be a complete resto to a mint state ! (if i ever get there )

but if you add this

Name:	DSC05297.jpg 
Views:	28 
Size:	576.6 KB 
ID:	264466

And then this a year later grrrr

Name:	Picture 007.jpg 
Views:	31 
Size:	834.0 KB 
ID:	264465

I'm sure you'll understand why not much has gone on in the shed !
    A girlfriend once asked " Why is it you seem to prefer to race, than spend time with me ?"
    The answer was simple ! "I'll prolly get bored with racing too, once i've nailed it !"

Bowls can wait !

Bike
    mutton dressed up as lamb and a 73 XL250
    Quote Originally Posted by Kickaha View Post
    When I was looking for one back in the early nineties before I bought the Darmah I was looking at shit like this http://www.norvilmotorcycle.co.uk/069808.htm, belt drive kits, proper oil filter system, 5 speed, etc etc etc, pretty easy to spend double the value of the bike
    Pretty sure Eurodave does the Norvil seat for them

Last (and first) one I rode was a 1969 Mk1, great motor, drum brakes were good to , the owner totalled it a couple of months later when he hit a U turning car

Sure you don't want me to put you in touch with the guy who has your old mans 900SS
    Tempted mate but no i will go with the Norton thing,wanted one for a long time.Cheers to all for there input,interesting stuff.The 750 in the link supplied a few posts back looks pretty good but its always been an 850 ive hankered for.
    Be the person your dog thinks you are...

Bike
    So old you won't care
    With Commandos you should really try to get a ride on one first. They can feel slightly 'odd' if not well set up or you are unused to them. The later 850 Mk11a's seem to be the one followed by the Mk111. BUT as others have said a decent Combat engined Roadster will slay them power wise. Properly put together they are very exciting to ride.

Like I said, they do feel a bit quirky though. I really preferred my Atlas as mine never really vibrated worse than anything else and I knew no better...

You will be lucky to find one to your standards. They are tightly held for good reason (ie they cost a lot to get right). The only complication in doing it your self is that the bits for them are a bit expensive compared to say a Triumph or BSA... But everything is available for them if you have the coin.

I'd talk to Bob Nesbitt at Classic Cycles (42 Ward Street Upper Hutt 5018) (04) 527 9608 He is probably 'Mr Norton' in NZ and would be a great place to start if you want something nice. (hes a bit old school and plain spoken but always been fair and kind to me)

Bike
    BSA A10
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul in NZ View Post
    The only complication in doing it your self is that the bits for them are a bit expensive compared to say a Triumph or BSA...
    The bits are cheap compared to Ducati though

Thread Information