Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Wanted: 74/75 850 Commando

Bike
    Africa Twin DCT.

Bike
    Africa Twin DCT.
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul in NZ View Post
    Oh god - I just about wet myself with pleasure... You sir have excellent taste and the good fortune to indulge it... WELL DONE.....

OMG - the low miles TR5 still has the spark arrestor in the pipe.... shudder...

Stupidest thing I ever did was turn down that wreck (well not exactly THE stupidest thing but you know)
    Funny you mention the KS500 spark arrestor that seemed to be made of unobtainium.
    The other 74 which oddly has a 73 exhaust (short outet) which seems to match the rest of the bike condition wise as if it was fitted from new had no KS500.
    All google searches let to people wanting one with none for sale anywhere worldwide.
    There was a eBay seller selling parts out of Queensland every now and then,one day what pops up but a odd looking spark arrestor described as new old stock but no real clue to what it was off.
    I bid on it and this turned up in the mail at a cost of $28 + post.

http://i30.photobucket.com/albums/c3...T/IMG_2629.jpg

http://i30.photobucket.com/albums/c3...T/IMG_2626.jpg

http://i30.photobucket.com/albums/c3...IMG_2119-1.jpg

http://s30.photobucket.com/albums/c3...t=MVI_2101.mp4

Bike
    2012 Victory Hammer & 1973 Triumph X75
    Quote Originally Posted by Kickaha View Post
    Actually, you strike me as more of a Hi rider type of person
    Attachment 264435
    Well surprise surprise, TL gone!!
    You know what I ride M, but I've always been a fan of Classic British, and have kept my Classic since 1986;
    But it's the "Hi Rider" & the Fastback for me, but I think it had to be the Poster Girl leaning over it in the Promo.
    This is my fav Norton site, some stunning stuff here.
    http://www.coloradonortonworks.com/about/gallery.asp
    ENJOY

Bike
    Africa Twin DCT.
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul in NZ View Post
    Oh god - I just about wet myself with pleasure... You sir have excellent taste and the good fortune to indulge it... WELL DONE.....
    The good fortune comes from being away from home 28 days at a time (LNG plants)
    Kiwi work ethic goes a long way here but the trade is changing for the worst sadly.

Back home until next week.
    Some parts had arrived for the Fastback.
    The inner primary had a weld repair but a $68 replacement from US eBay will fix that.
    A bit of time with a brass wire brush,0000 steel wool and a good scrub with a stiff bristle brush and car wash brought it up nicely.
    A lashing of silicone spray and its ready to install.

photo IMG_0170.jpg

photo IMG_0131_zps5125b719.jpg

Bike
    1972 Norton Commando
    Have you given any thought to doing the mods on the swing arm pivot?

I'm looking at replacing my isolastics in situ, your picture would support that you can. cheers.

I just bought a Pazon ignition from Kati Kati which should be a huge improvement on the Boyer. Cheers.

I find its not to bad here at the moment, I hung up my tool belt about 5 years ago and life in the office is not too bad......and it sure pays better doing less actual work...
    DeMyer's Laws - an argument that consists primarily of rambling quotes isn't worth bothering with.

Bike
    Africa Twin DCT.
    My lathe,mill and welder (Lincoln Invertec V200T) etc are still in storage in NZ so am a bit limited on the more ambitious projects.
    I had seen the nuts welded to the pivot mod and also the clamp kits you can buy to support the pivot shaft.
    Andover Norton might even do a new cradle also.
    Not sure at this stage.
    The MkIIA has a bit of movement at the rear Isolastic but it might just need adjusting.
    It also still has points which will be replaced at some stage,most likely a Pazon Altair,had thought about the Tri-spark but not sure about everything under the cover so close to the engine heat and vibration.

photo IMG_0190.jpg

Bike
    FC 501
    I have just come across this thread, most of my reading here is in the bucket section. I have just done the spindle mod on my one, 16mm bar with a 5mm hole drilled through, then welded to the cradle, drilled to 7mm and tapped 5/16 UNF. I also ground out some notches on the bottom of the cradle where the centre stand contacts and welded in so key steel. Finally I ground out a notch on the RHS just under the ISO mount so the gearbox can come out with the cradle still bolted to the engine.

Bike
    Africa Twin DCT.
    A little quiet in the land of Norton.
    The postman has been a regular over the last couple of months while I have been away on the job in WA.
    Another head from the UK.
    Its pretty rare to find one this good these days especially with excellent rockers and exhaust port threads,not to mention 40 years of ham-fisted mechanics.
     photo IMG_0245.jpg

Interstate fuel tank from India (Paradiseparts51 / eBay)
    Under AU$300 to the door.
     photo IMG_0235.jpg

Andover Norton who are excellent to deal with.
     photo IMG_0228.jpg

Plenty of work to do on bikes in general once this job is completed end of July (perhaps)

Bike
    Africa Twin DCT.
    Everyone must be out riding their Nortons.
    How about pre units ?

photo IMG_0286.jpg

Bike
    1972 Norton Commando
    mmmmm, pre unit Triumphs are nice on the eye. I like the clicking of the chronometer with the most useful 'revulator"
    do you go on Access Norton at all?
    DeMyer's Laws - an argument that consists primarily of rambling quotes isn't worth bothering with.

Bike
    Africa Twin DCT.
    Access Norton,yes but it is a reminder sometimes of the consequences of embracing old age and the closing of the mind.

Norton on hold,waiting for some parts,back to Nortons when MG parts have been ordered.

photo IMG_0311.jpg

Bike
    06 Honda 919-79 T140E Triumph 96 Guzzi
    Always had a hankering for an 850 Commando choice colour the met blue, or a tasty black roadster guise. My problem is height and weight, they take a bit of kicking over with no electric leg.
    Had a mate with a combat, was nothing but Trouble, and they were nicknamed "grenades" likely due to the extra stress of added 5 hp.

Agree Bob "Nez" is the man at Classic Cycles, he rebuilt my T140 Triumph motor, it's never missed a beat and runs strong after heaps of miles, really knows his stuff and easy to deal with.

A good link for a winters day ...

http://www.captain.norton.clara.net/
    "If you ever need anything please don’t hesitate to ask someone else first.”

Anyhoo don't forget to add to calendar 19th May, 27th July, and 31 August.
    World whisky day, International whisky day, and Scotch whisky day.

Bike
    1972 Norton Commando
    My understanding of them is the Combats have a bad rep, a lot of it is to do with the low gearing fitted and being reved out to 7000 on a regular basis.
    apparently the cranks flexed, which in itself is not so bad but the std rollers did not take kindly to that as the rollers were square.
    Typical Briddish approach was to make bearings in a barrel shape that tolerated this.
    The Combats were fitted with a different cam...2s and liked to rev once past 5k they really come on.
    Heads were skimmed by about 1 mm, you can see this with the fins being closed at the head/cylinder joint. Heads have a 'C' stamped on them under the ( rubbish) head steady.
    32mm Carbs were fitted to hogged out heads which are not considered to be junk.

I've had my 72 Combat roadster for 3 years and its easy to start thanks to resleeved carbs and electronic igniton, pulls well in top from 2000 and once you hit 5000 it goes mad.
    Braking is pretty poor for a disk brake, might resleeve down to 12mm one day.
    Cool bikes, everyone should have a Commando at least once.

Bike
    Smokers and a tractor
    Quote Originally Posted by Voltaire View Post
    I've had my 72 Combat roadster for 3 years and its easy to start thanks to resleeved carbs

Braking is pretty poor for a disk brake, might resleeve down to 12mm one day.
    Any more info/thoughts behind these mods Voltaire?

I've had untold frustrations around idle and twiddling/balancing etc has just resulted in going around in circles.Fueling above idle is fine.No probs to start either.

With front brake I've been contemplating braided hoses throughout but don't know if it would be a total cure...an alternative caliper is not an option as I love the look of the original.

Bike
    1972 Norton Commando
    Hi Ellracing, Mine came with sleeved carbs and has always been a nice easy starter. If it was not I'd probably have fitted new Amals. The bodies on Amals wear badly. Mine has had sleeves fitted over the slide. Starts easy and idles after it warms up.
    Still have the boyer but got a Pazon to fit next.
    Brake is rubbish, mostly down to poor m/c to caliper ratio. My BMW racer was the same, and a 12mm M/C make the original ATE calipers and the cast iron discs very good.
    There is a guy on the Access Norton forum called Madass, hes an Aussie living in the Phillipines, makes some good bits. Another Commando guy I know here has bought parts off him including the master cylinder sleeve kit, works well he says.
    I'd say that, braided line, re-kit the Lockheed and softer pads you might have something acceptable and still keep the std looks.
    Next on my list is fitting a set of Lansdown dampers I got last year, one leg has compression and the other rebound, adjustable at the top of the forks.
    cheers
    Volty.

Thread Information