Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 789

Thread: Wanted: 74/75 850 Commando

Bike
    1997 Honda VFR750
    You weren't there to check out that Eldo/Ambo in the background? Saw one on Craigslist San Fran for about $6k. That guy from Canada writes great stories about riding his, still can't imagine drum brakes on the front

Bike
    1972 Norton Commando
    Quote Originally Posted by Diggers View Post
    You weren't there to check out that Eldo/Ambo in the background? Saw one on Craigslist San Fran for about $6k. That guy from Canada writes great stories about riding his, still can't imagine drum brakes on the front
    Funny you should say that.....no.
    Drum brakes are fine, I toured Europe on a /5 two up, mind you a lot of the cars would have had drums too.
    DeMyer's Laws - an argument that consists primarily of rambling quotes isn't worth bothering with.

Bike
    motocompo
    Quote Originally Posted by Voltaire View Post
    After some months of sorting out the Trade Me purchase fitting electric starter took it out for test run and WOF.

Takes a while to get used to riding position and right hand 1 up 3 down gears in Auckland traffic but eventually got hang of it.

After getting WOF and forking out $54.00 for a years rego popped into Carbon Garage for a coffee.

There was another bloke there having a cuppa and he was on an almost identical bike other than being an 850.

Did another 50 miles around the Airport and Mangere.

Other than the feet being further forward than the BMW's its quite fun to ride, certainly sounds like a proper

motorcycle.

Attachment 331831

Next of the list is recommission the Ducati Darmah as $54.00 rego in Jan
    Chai Latte or Soy? ya café riding fag.

Bike
    1972 Norton Commando
    Quote Originally Posted by sidecar bob View Post
    Chai Latte or Soy? ya café riding fag.

would have preferred a cappuccino with cinnamon, but it was closed an the mechanic said he would make me one as I deserved

it riding my Brit bike and not hanging it up in the kitchen as an ornament
    DeMyer's Laws - an argument that consists primarily of rambling quotes isn't worth bothering with.

Bike
    motocompo
    would have preferred a cappuccino with cinnamon, but it was closed an the mechanic said he would make me one as I deserved

it riding my Brit bike and not hanging it up in the kitchen as an ornament
    As my mate in the UK with A 961 Commando says, I think ill ride the Norton today, its a perfect day for a walk.

Bike
    1972 Norton Commando
    Quote Originally Posted by sidecar bob View Post
    As my mate in the UK with A 961 Commando says, I think ill ride the Norton today, its a perfect day for a walk.
    A 961...poor chap.....must have bought before the 1200 cc Triumph Thruxton came on market.

I think the only time I have had to walk was when my Honda 500/4 ran out of gas near Te Anau in 1984....and the R90s last

year when the top end ate itself in Timaru.

I thought about buying a Triumph 1200 Thruxton...but friggen 25K is a lot to spend on a weekend toy.

When the Jap imports start turning up for around 15K might have a look.

Bike
    Smokers and a tractor
    I thought about buying a Triumph 1200 Thruxton...but friggen 25K is a lot to spend on a weekend toy.

When the Jap imports start turning up for around 15K might have a look.
    Agreed they are pretty but way overpriced for what your getting.

Bike
    2015 Aprilia Tuono Factory
    I remember riding one of those 750 Commandos in the early 70s, nice bike for the times. The isolastic motor suspension took care of a lot of the vibration except when stopped. I pulled up at the lights after a nice smooth ride and my eye balls jiggled up and down so much I could hardly see. Nice to ride though, I think I had a 750 H2 at the time.

Cheers

Bike
    Yo momma
    How about this one?
    I would be interested in what people think it might be worth.
    https://bend.craigslist.org/mcy/d/19...247046090.html

Bike
    1972 Norton Commando
    Quote Originally Posted by jasonu View Post
    How about this one?
    I would be interested in what people think it might be worth.
    https://bend.craigslist.org/mcy/d/19...247046090.html
    Depend, some people want things for bugger all and other will pay good money for a good example.

As someone who currently owns two Commandos it looks like good value for money but thats based on NZ prices which tend

to be on the high side compared to the US.

On the face of the add it looks like it is owned by someone who likes it enough to want to use it by fitting sensible mods.
    You either buy them to ride and tinker with ( which is part of the fun) or buy to look at.
    As far as investment goes......will depreciate less than a modern, but you spend it on maintenance.
    Arguably the best British Bike to own as parts are very easy to get and there is a lot of info on the net and they do go quite well. Riding position is a bit too feet forward but it is what it is.

I've recently bought a 72 Interstate and currently getting my 72 Roadster ready for sale.

Thread Information