Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: My GSX1100

Bike
    1989ZXR400,GSX1100 & PW50

My GSX1100

I have been rebuilding this bike bike for approx 2 years now,I used to own this bike about 20 years ago & purchased it back off the guy I sold it to,so here is a photo
    So far I have fitted a AP lockeed front brake master cylinder & pressure brake switch,replaced steering head,swingarm & wheel bearings,rebuilt the front & rear brake calipers,fitted wire wheels,replaced the seat(seat base was rusted),I have purchased & will be fitting a set of Mikuni VM33 carbs,also a set of Standard Suzuki Black pipes,then I will start work on the cosmetics
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Wanganui 2009 001.jpg 
Views:	323 
Size:	92.6 KB 
ID:	193388  
    "The road to Hell is really grippy with loads of run off & some wicked lefthanders"

Bike
    77 XL250
    Ye Gods... That takes me back a few years. I had one of the black pipers - same model and colour.
    You need the US model tubular swingarm to complete the look.

Will we see it at Taumaranui?
    The best way to forget all your troubles is to wear tight underpants.

Bike
    Yeah,thats interesting about the swingarm,I dont recall the different swingarm,but Sidecar Bob in another thread has mentioned it,but I will check when I get to work,I work at wellington Motorcycles,so will check with Steve Dundon

Quote Originally Posted by Dadpole View Post
    Ye Gods... That takes me back a few years. I had one of the black pipers - same model and colour.

"The road to Hell is really grippy with loads of run off & some wicked lefthanders"

Bike
    KTM 1190 Adv R and a bunch of dirties
    I thought that the 750 had the tube swing arm and the 1100 the ali rectangular?
    Quote Originally Posted by Albert
    Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe

Bike
    77 XL250
    The T model black pipe had the box swingarm, but they changed for the X model.

Bike
    Just looked into it & from the man who built them assures me that the original Black pipers had the Ali swing arm

Bike
    XT660r
    Bike Rider Magazine had a picture of a black pipe GSX in it a few months ago. I will find it when tonight, Hopefully is good enough to see the swingarm

Bike
    motocompo
    Quote Originally Posted by bistard View Post
    Just looked into it & from the man who built them assures me that the original Black pipers had the Ali swing arm
    Joe Lett from the bike shop (no longer Suzuki) in Wanganui would be worth asking. I understand he was involved with the building of them too.

Bike
    Yup,I have that mag as well & has an ali swingarm

Quote Originally Posted by RDjase View Post
    Bike Rider Magazine had a picture of a black pipe GSX in it a few months ago. I will find it when tonight, Hopefully is good enough to see the swingarm

Bike
    77 XL250
    Odd indeed. My one had the tube swingarm and was less than a year old when I got it. All the reports I heard was that the swingarm was off the US GSX1100E budget model and fitted because it twisted less than the ali box section. I saw one other X model and it had the tube arm also.
    Remember, they did two models - T and X

Bike
    Odd indeed. My one had the tube swingarm and was less than a year old when I got it. All the reports I heard was that the swingarm was off the US GSX1100E budget model and fitted because it twisted less than the ali box section. I saw one other X model and it had the tube arm also.
    Remember, they did two models - T and X
    Yes I do remember both models,I wont be changing swing arms just yet,looking forward to getting the original black pipes & the Mikuni
    carbs on,I might even ride it to Paeroa,will see how the progress goes

Bike
    70's Superbikes
    It's so good to see these in mint condition, memory lane still has some traffic. Awesome colour scheme too, they had a hit/miss with that eh? My friend back in the day had a poo brown one
    Blast From The Past Axis of Oil

Bike
    mutton dressed up as lamb and a 73 XL250
    Very very nice,great to see.
    Be the person your dog thinks you are...

Bike
    77 XL250
    If the poo brown one came from Wgtn in 83-83 ish, then I know the chap who had it first. God only knows what inspired him to paint it that colour. I think it went to Wgtn Motorcycles. We called it the Turdcycle.

Bike
    I now have the black pipes fitted,rode the bike to the Paeroa street races on the weekend,went great did not miss a beat,next is to fit the Mukuni
    carbs,I will post some photos

Thread Information