Page 15 of 258 FirstFirst ... 513141516172565115 ... LastLast

Thread: Team GPR

Bike
    a shed full of crazy shit
    Quote Originally Posted by quallman1234 View Post
    That sounds good. Arduino is the way to go! So simple. I have recently made a suspension datalogger on to a SD card with it.
    Have to say we are quite impressed with the Arduino's and what they are capable of (outside of this use).
    They are never going to replace a real logger; but they have some good offerings and open source examples (and if 10 year olds can make them work; well....)..

Quote Originally Posted by Yow Ling View Post
    Will this flashy as dyno software be available to purchase?

Ive been tinkering with this drum over the weekend, the big bit of steel is 80mm x 400 diameter, all up around 200 kg with 2 of those plus the drum and endplates
    The skinny little axle is 40 mm

Attachment 270211
    Yes; we are hoping that we will have a sell'able product soon; I'll post some screenshots after we do some testing this week.
    Engineering wise, best talk to Crazyman.

Quote Originally Posted by quallman1234 View Post
    Easy way to do it is use a excel macro.
    Hall effect sensor -> Arduino microcontroller -> USB/Serial -> CSV on PC
    you can then import the CSV into a excel macro and make it automatically create graphs.
    Yes you can; but why?
    even in that example why wouldn't you use the serial coms lib write some simple code (even in vba) and connect the PC up (via UBS or Serial) in real time and do it all on the fly??
    the choices are endless. but whom has the time.

What we are trying to do is provide an enduser interface (like many other ones out there); as a replacement for some tied software and hardware... at a price that wont break the bank!!.
    and we found someone with the time (good old student looking for a project!)...

Quote Originally Posted by Drew View Post
    Not a particularly accurate one. Just some thing to laod the motor for tuning. A biasic table type rolling road to use as work bench/tuning platform.
    use a hydraulic pump driven off the chain.
    Last edited by Bert; 17th September 2012 at 18:22. Reason: removeed some blabla computer sh!t

Bike
    Honda NSR300 track hack
    For those interested there is a few helpful tools on this site,

http://www.dtec.net.au/Tech%20Articles.htm

one being a inertia calculator as well as mass selection.

I am looking at making a dyno but am not sure what style yet. An eddy current dyno would be cool but $$$

Bike
    93 kwacker zxr750
    looks like l'm going to have to build my self a cool fast bucket . the 2 stroke was just for some fun . but keep looking here ! things will happen if l find some money

Bike
    RG50 and 76 Suzuki GP125 Buckets

Disk brake dyno, simple torqe arm with load cell and shaft encoder for rpm.

Bike
    Exercycle
    According to the engineer whose rolling road we used to use, a pair of Holden HQ discs and calipers can absorb around 150hp comfortably for a fairly long session.
    The only problem with his setup was the air over oil load actuating/adjusting method which simply wasn't fast enough - for a bike.
    Worked OK on cars.
    Having also used one of the Wgtn made Dynopak hydraulic dynos I reckon the disc setup could be rigged to work like the Dynopak which holds the load at a set RPM - or set RPM steps - for a set period. Usually 5 seconds or so, then goes on to the next RPM step.
    The one I used we set to record at 250 RPM steps with a max rpm set which the dyno would not let the motor exceed.
    Once the operator hears the motor held at the max RPM - or reads it on the tacho - he shuts it down.

Prints out a curve with 250 RPM steps so pretty accurate curve shape.

Bike
    Quote Originally Posted by Bert View Post
    Interesting Sunday racing.

Yes well Team GPR crash test dummy was in full flight. Nice little high side in turn 2; left me walking in circles for a little while.
    Motor locked up solid and spat me off; source of the issue munched up ceramic bearing.... photos to come soon.
    And well my FFM M9 helmet has seen better days (pulled it apart tonight find the internals smashed into two pieces); that explains the headache and slightly sore neck....
    Time for an upgrade (anyone tried a Airoh helmet) ???

Right; well its taken since mid June to get my A into G and finally the TZR100 is going again. new mains bearings (steal C3's this time) & a new piston etc.

After the initial stuffing around with the clutch its all go; including the powervalve servo (thanks Wobbly for the required bits). So some more carb tuning and we will be back next round.
    Still haven't done the new higher compression head yet; but given I seem to manage to crash things already so I'm not likely to need the extra power in the near future.

The long awaited Dyno software Beta test this week (looking like Thursday); I'll post up some screen shots afterwards.

Bike
    Quote Originally Posted by Bert View Post
    The long awaited Dyno software Beta test this week (looking like Thursday); I'll post up some screen shots afterwards.
    Right Thursday turned to Friday; and was compounded with communication issues with the arduino (which I then smoked by the looks of it). limited time meant we didn't resolve these issues.
    however the software interface looks great (I will get around to posting up some screenshots).
    Our man has done a great job sorting out not only the real time dial display, but also playback, graphs and tool to enable the uses to over plot previous runs; plus a lot of user configurable bits and reports.
    Will be building another arduino (with a bit more voltage protection) and do a second beta test run next week.
    plus make a couple more disks for the optical pick up (2 and 4 hole options to go with the 10 hole variant) to reduce information overload..

Its all coming along well.

There are some other great examples of DIY dynos in development

Quote Originally Posted by Yow Ling View Post
    Making progress on my dyno, would have done more but after getting the big wheels out of the car boot Im rooted !

lAttachment 270756Attachment 270757
    Quote Originally Posted by Sketchy_Racer View Post
    Speaking of dyno's, Kyle and I have almost finished our inertia dyno too, did all the machining last weekend and got the frame together this arvo.

What software you looking at running Yow?

Attachment 270758Attachment 270759
    Last edited by Bert; 29th September 2012 at 10:13. Reason: Others dynos in construction

Bike
    Honda NSR300 track hack
    Looking forward to seeing this screen shot.

How much do you think you will be selling the software for?

Bike
    Quote Originally Posted by Sketchy_Racer View Post
    Looking forward to seeing this screen shot.

How much do you think you will be selling the software for?
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Dyno interface Beta.jpg 
Views:	52 
Size:	69.1 KB 
ID:	270799

Starting point; don't read too much into the dial labels and scales (the two big ones are dyno roller speed and engine rpm and just need the auto range setup).
    The secondaries are what ever you want to add; sensor wise; or they can be calculated values...
    .net application; direct USB coms to the Arduino (with coms terminal for debugging); 0.1 sec refresh/recording rate. blabalabla you get the idea.
    The choice of colours is to enhance the use with a projector (so one can have a big view when doing testing).

Name:	Dyno interface Beta config.jpg 
Views:	45 
Size:	41.2 KB 
ID:	270800

As I've stated the software while built for the dyno primarily if can also be a tool for the use with Arduino data logger (i.e. recording race data on the bike etc.).
    so the graphical options are a plenty; currently every thing is time based; but will need to do some more work on a final output: RPM vs. Calculated power (in the HTML reports section).

Name:	Dyno interface Beta graphs.jpg 
Views:	41 
Size:	79.5 KB 
ID:	270801

For you Sketchy; I'm sure we can cut a deal.
    you might want to talk to Crazy man on how he balanced up his roller.

Bike
    93 kwacker zxr750

Smile

Name:	gpr100twin.jpg 
Views:	367 
Size:	268.3 KB 
ID:	270823getting there with it . got a working front and rear brake fuel tank made . just need to make a tank cover and wire the water pump in. thanks to bert l got a nice controller to turn the water pump on and of at the right temperture,. so the next round is looking good.

Bike
    -
    Quote Originally Posted by crazy man View Post
    getting there with it .
    Very sexy piece of work!!
    Love watching the updates of your bikes, and very interested in your dyno building progress.

Bike
    2011 yz450f
    so nice looking!!! when are you next at kaitoke?? im racing a flat track possibly on ashurst road on the 28th can bring the airbox mould up then?? opr if your in kaitoke sometime soon could drop it off then??
    Blindspott are back as Blacklist check them out
    www.blacklistmusicnz.co.nz

Bike
    93 kwacker zxr750
    Quote Originally Posted by Ivan View Post
    so nice looking!!! when are you next at kaitoke?? im racing a flat track possibly on ashurst road on the 28th can bring the airbox mould up then?? opr if your in kaitoke sometime soon could drop it off then??
    28th is are next meeting. will see if l can get somone to pick it up of you then or have to make another date

Bike
    93 kwacker zxr750
    just a hand full of things to finsh the bike now . hope it goes ok

Bike
    Gotta love long weekends.

Some solid hours spent getting things right for summer.

So after the failure of ceramic bearings we are back to trusty old C3s & new YZ100 piston (given the mess made). 34mm carb.
    The powervalve is all working; it seems to help full the mid range hole that it had (no print-outs yet too fully confirm its successful application).

Engine is still in a mild state of tune and liked running on 98 rather than race fuel (which would fit given the low comp).
    finally got around to adding one of Wobby's radiator bypass units (been sitting under the bench for a while); seems to hold the head temp around 72 degrees.
    still got some jetting work to do, but it's close. It seems to run up thought the rev range well now and doesn't seem to suffer flat spots at any point above 4000.

here's an attempted plug chop run to wet people's appetite.

Turn up the sound....

Dyno software is coming along actually managed to get a few runs out of it on Sat; programmer is off fixing a few graphical bugs (mainly around the start of plots and calculations) hopefully by the endo f the week we will have a working version to show off..

Thread Information