Thread: New SSM (trademe) brake rotors - anyone had any experience with these?

Bike
    GSXR750x

New SSM (trademe) brake rotors - anyone had any experience with these?

Hi

Im tired of the runout in my front rotors (99 GSXR750) and looking for a new set, anyone tried SSM rotors http://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/List...x?id=481290031 or their website http://www.sweetstreet.co.nz/? Price is good

Ive looked at the raceevolution.co.nz rotors but dont like the wavy rotors, look a little flimsy

Any help is appreciated

Bike
    2001 RC46
    Blog Entries
    No experience - yet - but I'm about the buy some. The fact that there's a 12-month unconditional money-back guaranteee is a big plus.
    I agree with you about the wavy rotors, and have read some negative comments from people who have tried various brands of these and found them noisy, or performance not great, or a tendency to warp, but also lots of comments from people who'd had no problems. I've decided to go with 'conventional' styled disc rotors, partly because of the comments, and partly because I want to ensure there's no WOF-time hiccups with them not being OEM fitment.
    ... and that's what I think.

Or summat.

Or maybe not...

Dunno really....

Bike
    2007 GSXR 1000
    I have what would appear to be the same disc's that are listed as SSM on trademe that i purchased from eBay for my RGV.

They have held up very well so far, no warping and braking has been very good, taken to Puke twice, once with track day pads that were enough to put me up on the front wheel by accident at over 160. and they have been rock solid.
    They replaced some metal gear discs that were on the bike when i got it that i think are slightly warped or just have uneven pad material on them and these new discs have been completely fine.
    Have had them on the bike for slightly over 12 months. Only thing i can see is that they are starting to rust a bit from lack of use now that i have my ZX10 but after running up and down the road a few times there all good again.

FYI if they are the same as the ones available on eBay they are slightly cheaper and shipping time for me was only about 1-2 weeks from memory

This is the style of disc i purchased and it seems very similar if not the same as SSM http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Front-Bra...item3a663641bd

Bike
    bandit
    I have them on my 650 Bandit - purchased from Sweetstreet. I was looking at a UK Distributor - and they were 400 British Pounds (about $NZ800) SweetStreet have them for half that ...

I have no issues at all with them .. I'm pleased I got them. They work extremely well and look cool too. And they have no noise at all ... compared with noisey standard Suzuki ones ... I'm tempted to put them on the 1250 as well ... And I've had no WOF issues - the last warrant I got was from a bike shop. The mechanic commented on them .. (he thought they looked cool too) but gave me a warrant - I doubt that VTNZ testing station staff would know what they are looking at ..

I think they are a little lighter than the standard rotors .. so theoretically they reduce the weight of the moving fork parts - improving handling .. but I thnk that's so minimal that most of us would not notice the difference ...

I haven't seen a rust problem - but then, my 650 is my daily transport ...
    "So if you meet me, have some sympathy, have some courtesy, have some taste ..."

Bike
    2 675R's & a Tracer GT

WOF prob?

Quote Originally Posted by vifferman View Post
    I've decided to go with 'conventional' styled disc rotors, partly because of the comments, and partly because I want to ensure there's no WOF-time hiccups with them not being OEM fitment.
    Is there a ruling to do with non OEM discs for bike WOFs? Good to know if it's official. Haven't heard anything before on the subject.
    Do us all a favour, by bringing yourself up to speed, before pulling onto the motorway.

Bike
    KTM 250exc
    If this is the guy I'm thinking of based in Hastings he's good to deal with great guy with a shed full of good and interesting stuff. Got an SV1000 tank off him in good nick. Was a good fella to talk shit with when i picked the parts up

Bike
    MT-10
    Quote Originally Posted by Banditbandit View Post
    I have them on my 650 Bandit - purchased from Sweetstreet. I was looking at a UK Distributor - and they were 400 British Pounds (about $NZ800) SweetStreet have them for half that ...

I have no issues at all with them .. I'm pleased I got them. They work extremely well and look cool too. And they have no noise at all ... compared with noisey standard Suzuki ones ... I'm tempted to put them on the 1250 as well ... And I've had no WOF issues - the last warrant I got was from a bike shop. The mechanic commented on them .. (he thought they looked cool too) but gave me a warrant - I doubt that VTNZ testing station staff would know what they are looking at ..

I think they are a little lighter than the standard rotors .. so theoretically they reduce the weight of the moving fork parts - improving handling .. but I thnk that's so minimal that most of us would not notice the difference ...

I haven't seen a rust problem - but then, my 650 is my daily transport ...
    How did these rotors hold up for you? Looking to get a pair

Bike
    CB919, 1090R, R1200GSA
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by manxkiwi View Post
    Is there a ruling to do with non OEM discs for bike WOFs? Good to know if it's official. Haven't heard anything before on the subject.
    I've had no problem with non-OEM discs going through WOF, been like that for a few years and 40k+ now.

I tried SSM rotors, advertised to fit my bike, they didn't, I returned and they refunded.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jane Omorogbe from UK MSN on the KTM990SM
    It's barking mad and if it doesn't turn you into a complete loon within half an hour of cocking a leg over the lofty 875mm seat height, I'll eat my Arai.

Bike
    Triumph Speed Triple
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Mongolian View Post
    Only thing i can see is that they are starting to rust a bit from lack of use now that i have my ZX10 but after running up and down the road a few times there all good again.
    Way back when, rust was a sign of good brakes. Ducati discs were iron, worked great, but turned orange overnight. Japanese discs were stainless, looked great but performed less great.

A little rust wouldn't bother me.
    There is a grey blur, and a green blur. I try to stay on the grey one. - Joey Dunlop

Bike
    1999 Yamaha R1
    The Made in China discs are usually decent quality, but the ones I bought failed after a few months because the rivets loosened. So buying from someone local who's prepared to stand behind them would be a good option.

Sent from somewhere using Tapatalk

Bike
    bandit
    Quote Originally Posted by Jin View Post
    How did these rotors hold up for you? Looking to get a pair
    Still there - still awesome ... a great improvement on the standard brakes ... gave them a hard workout this morning too .. (well kind of .. I don't use the brakes much . just the throttle and gears)

I have recommended them to others - who have loved them as well ..
    "So if you meet me, have some sympathy, have some courtesy, have some taste ..."

Bike
    2001 Moto Guzzi V11 Sport
    I hate to poop all over a product on a public forum. (But I'm gonna).
    Pros:
    1- SSM discs are cheap.
    2- They fitted as per my originals (twin disc 320mm Brembos as per Guzzi V11 Sport/Aprilia Tuno+RSV/Ducati 916+996+Monster etc etc).
    3- They looked "understated" - I don't like my bike to look "bling". The disc hubs are painted black, rather than blingy gold as per Brembo.
    4- Their outright performance felt almost as good as the Brembo originals (not quite).

Cons:
    1- the disc centres/rotor hubs are rusting. Back in the day, that was cool as the best discs were cast iron - a la classic Ducati bevel heads and sporting Guzzi classics. But these days, I think the disc outer (contact area) is made from 420(?) grade stainless, so it just looks a bit poop.
    2- Although their outright performance is nearly as good as original...in the wet they are DEADLY. I've tried EBC HH sintered and organic, to no avail. There's just this odd sensation where they have zero initial bite (for like, upto maybe a second!), and then they suddenly start to bite. And they make an odd graunchy noise when they do bite. Initially, I thought it was because they hadn't bedded in, and then I thought it was because they needed a different pad material. Nope, neither.

I guess you get what you pay for - if you want a brake disc for less than half the money of the original Brembos you either learn to observe the road/car drivers to give you extra stopping time or you wuss out of riding in the rain.

Thread Information