Thread: Motorcycle GPS tracking device - GTV01 limited amount at this price

Bike
    2003 Yamaha R6

Motorcycle GPS tracking device - GTV01 limited amount at this price

Here's the story:
    I've had my pride and joy stolen twice from me in the last 2 years, so I began to look alarm systems and tracking devices until I finally decided that passive GPS tracking was the way to go. I then researched heaps of the things before bringing in samples of 4 different brands/models.

The GTV01 is what I have chosen for these reasons:
    I was installing it into my bike, which has a small battery compared to a car, and also has limited space;

1) The chipset used in this model is JRC - all other trackers I found use the old obsolete SirF Star III which has a higher power consumption. Models using the SirF chipset drained my battery in around 1 week of non use so they were pointless.

2) This device has a low power sleep mode - the power consumption drops significantly by deactivating the GPS module while the bike is off, but will activate when the bike is on, or if it detects movement or if the power is cut. Consumption is less than 80mA when in standby, and around 150mA when on

3) Compact size and built in antennas mean minimal messing around and hiding wires.

4) Built in Li-ion rechargeable battery lasts for hours after the power is cut so can even keep tracking if the power has been cut

5) There is a freely available Android app for this model tracker only to make tracking with your smartphone easy - see attached photos

Trademe link for the technical details http://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/List...x?id=484537437

I currently have one installed in my bike and one in my car so I can give advice on installing. Yes it is pretty easy to install: Positive + Ground wires required only and yes, it has the ability to cut your ignition/fuel pump/ sound your horn by remote (relay not included).
    All that you need is a GSM sim card with credit (2 degrees or Vodafone)

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P1040472.JPG 
Views:	267 
Size:	193.5 KB 
ID:	265015

Name:	P1040473.JPG 
Views:	226 
Size:	180.5 KB 
ID:	265016

Name:	P1040474.JPG 
Views:	290 
Size:	175.9 KB 
ID:	265019

Name:	tlt2h monitor 1a.jpg 
Views:	316 
Size:	55.8 KB 
ID:	265017

Name:	tlt2h monitor 4.jpg 
Views:	220 
Size:	155.2 KB 
ID:	265018

Price for Kiwibiker members is $134 + $6 postage, or pickup from Penrose/Panmure in Auckland. I have these listed on Trademe, but will reserve 6 units for KB at the lower price

Reply to this thread, pm me or email me mad.dawg27@gmail.com if you're interested

Bike
    invisibike
    Blog Entries
    good luck and all.

but i'm a jaycar whore, did you compare:
    http://jaycar.co.nz/productView.asp?ID=LA9013
    or
    http://jaycar.co.nz/productView.asp?ID=LA9011

and why did you decide against?

Bike
    2003 Yamaha R6
    Quote Originally Posted by Akzle View Post
    good luck and all.

but i'm a jaycar whore, did you compare:
    http://jaycar.co.nz/productView.asp?ID=LA9013
    or
    http://jaycar.co.nz/productView.asp?ID=LA9011

and why did you decide against?
    Even though this is a year old thread, both those models are personal GPS trackers and not designed for vehicles; the LA9011 is one of the units I had the unfornate pleasure of testing - one of my two units failed within 1 day, the other unit had the shock sensor fail after a month and online reviews agreed that their reliability is not the best. The LA9013 has the same chipset underneath; both are SIRF Star 3 which is the obsolete GPS unit that has higher power consumption which is a major factor in motorcycle trackers - my bike even with a new battery would last no longer that 3 days where as the GTV01 unit would last 7 days; and in power saver mode it would last almost 14 days. No point having a tracker if it runs your bike dead every week

The unit I picked to import has useful features such as low power consumption since bikes have small batteries compared to cars (also important for motorcycles that aren't used often), the reliability of this unit it much higher, ease of use, Android app to control the unit, along with the usual features all units have like vibration sensor, power cut sensor, vehicle proximity sensor (detects when your bike is removed from an area without being started). You do really get what you pay for and those jaycar units I can source for around $40 NZD each but this one I have costs me $110 NZD for a reason.
    I am no longer selling this unit though so if anyone is interested their OEM name is TLT-2H though they now offer a waterproof unit called TLT-2F that you can find on aliexpress or ebay for roughly the amount above

Bike
    So old you won't care
    Interesting....

My new in Japan Sprint has a sticker on the tank claiming "Vehicle Tracking and Locating System Install"... Plus some stuff in Japanese (probably the same thing) .... How could I tell if such a device is actually fitted????? I don't rally want to pull it all to bits but if it had one could I even use it?

Bike
    2003 Yamaha R6
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul in NZ View Post
    Interesting....

My new in Japan Sprint has a sticker on the tank claiming "Vehicle Tracking and Locating System Install"... Plus some stuff in Japanese (probably the same thing) .... How could I tell if such a device is actually fitted????? I don't rally want to pull it all to bits but if it had one could I even use it?
    You would need to pull off your seat or lift the tank to check, I imagine the device would stand out as not being OEM. It should work here but you'd need an nz sim and need to find the pin to change the settings but you could use the existing wiring to install a new unit

Bike
    2015, Ducati Streetfighter
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul in NZ View Post
    Interesting....

Somewhere in Japan is the ex owner being driven mad buy their phone being constantly called to inform them that the car has been stolen.....

Bike
    invisibike
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by blonky View Post
    Even though this is a year old thread, both those models are personal GPS trackers and not designed for vehicles; the LA9011 is one of the units I had the unfornate pleasure of testing - one of my two units failed within 1 day, the other unit had the shock sensor fail after a month and online reviews agreed that their reliability is not the best. The LA9013 has the same chipset underneath; both are SIRF Star 3 which is the obsolete GPS unit that has higher power consumption which is a major factor in motorcycle trackers - my bike even with a new battery would last no longer that 3 days where as the GTV01 unit would last 7 days; and in power saver mode it would last almost 14 days. No point having a tracker if it runs your bike dead every week

The unit I picked to import has useful features such as low power consumption since bikes have small batteries compared to cars (also important for motorcycles that aren't used often), the reliability of this unit it much higher, ease of use, Android app to control the unit, along with the usual features all units have like vibration sensor, power cut sensor, vehicle proximity sensor (detects when your bike is removed from an area without being started). You do really get what you pay for and those jaycar units I can source for around $40 NZD each but this one I have costs me $110 NZD for a reason.
    I am no longer selling this unit though so if anyone is interested their OEM name is TLT-2H though they now offer a waterproof unit called TLT-2F that you can find on aliexpress or ebay for roughly the amount above
    they were advertised as less power consumption, did wonder.

Bike
    So old you won't care
    Quote Originally Posted by AllanB View Post
    Somewhere in Japan is the ex owner being driven mad buy their phone being constantly called to inform them that the car has been stolen.....
    nah its the bike... I suspect its just a sticker and the units long gone but i will look out for it just in case... I think the previous owner was driven mad by the dodgy suspension....

Bike
    2003 Yamaha R6
    Quote Originally Posted by Akzle View Post
    they were advertised as less power consumption, did wonder.
    And they probably do use less power than the tracker they replaced, though they still use the old chipset??? The main problem for most people using them in their vehicle is that it doesn't have the ability to detect if the vehicle is on or off, or if the power is cut to the device, and I'm not too sure on the shock sensor either

Bike
    A
    So as a mostly solo rider, the wife was nagging me last year to fit some sort of GPS doodacky so she'd know my whereabouts. Then when that BMW rider went missing north of Auckland the nagging turned into an entry on my to-do-list.

Have been using the LA-9011 GSM/GPS Tracker for a while now, got it from Jaycar.

The instructions are rather pigeon English, but hey it all works as intended. As for battery usage, not sure really since I run a battery tender on my bike. Data usage on the 2 degrees sim card is minimal, still on $6 per month plan and I'm not using all of the data. The motion detector bit works sweet, turns itself on and off when bike is used then parked up.

The next best bit of GPS kit is at least 4 times the price, so unless this GPS thingee fails within a year then I'm ok with it.

My only reservation might be that since it logs your speed and location, I'm kinda curious as to how this info would stack up in court, if at all?

Bike
    1966 Triumph TR6
    Will any of these tracking devices work with a Possitive earth system?

Cheers
    Rod

Bike
    various
    Blog Entries
    I would assume that none of them will be earthed to the frame but be connected to the + and - by wires meaning that it does not matter if the bike is an older English + earth.

May the bridges I burn light the way.

Follow Vinny's MX racing on www.mxvinny.com

Thread Information