Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Tabbed Washer - Speedo Drive

Bike
    invisibike
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by imdying View Post
    Yeah fair enough too... my first port of call would've been a call to the OEM dealer and a 1 hour courier... but TBH I'm surprised you can't buy it as a single item

What model/year etc is it... maybe somebody can find an individual number for it and hey ho off you go
    Quote Originally Posted by jellywrestler View Post
    or draw it out and get it laser cut... don't worry about balance etc, the weight is so minimal and it's right on the axle so wont matter a bit. what actual model is your bike?

well, i do need to consider WHY it failed.
    yes it's old. the metal's obviously gone a bit soft (from heat??) but the burring is fairly brittle.

... being off balance and spinning quickly (centrifuge), while engaged into a pinion and cable(sticktion), while under compression from the axle.... it's all force, so i reckon the bearing surfaces need to be spec...

bike is rego'd as 1989 GSX 750 ES
    from what i've picked up it is a (-d) model, (but f*cked if i know what it means.)
    frame is GR272A, which, according to haynes manual, doens't exist.

i have been to every bike shop in town, again, whole unit only, none in country.
    , and i'v rummaged through a few boxes of old parts. i'm going to drop in somewhere in auckland tomorow, there's a 'zuki wrecker.

i've looked the part up on (partshark?) some yank online store. again. whole unit for 60USD +40 shipping.. so by the time it's landed i'd rather have one ex-factory in japan.

Bike
    invisibike
    Blog Entries
    80$ for whole unit from bike wreckers in akl. deal enough, but i'm broke arse.

anyone?

following cars to guess my speed is getting tedious...

Bike
    Bikes!
    Quote Originally Posted by Akzle View Post
    80$ for whole unit from bike wreckers in akl. deal enough, but i'm broke arse.

anyone?

following cars to guess my speed is getting tedious...
    Warehouse $10 bike computer?

Bike
    1982 Suzuki GS1100GK, 2008 KLR650
    Blog Entries
    Is the drive cable in good condition - no kinks or sharp bends, not rusted inside, inner cable not frayed? Do the ring and pinion turn freely? If both of these are in good condition the drive washer should last as more or less forever. The one on my GS1100G has done 90000k (that I know about) and is still in perfect condition. Before obtaining some super-replacement, work out why the original failed. Then make one like has been suggested - the speedo doesn't require massive amounts of torque.
    it's not a bad thing till you throw a KLR into the mix.
    those cheap ass bitches can do anything with ductape.
    (PostalDave on ADVrider)

Bike
    suzuki

bike is rego'd as 1989 GSX 750 ES
    from what i've picked up it is a (-d) model, (but f*cked if i know what it means.)
    forget the year of rego, whats on the steering head?
    i doubt its a D, that's 1984 basically this letter denotes the year up to this century then they used K1-K12 get the year off the stem (pm me with this), a parts search then a parts cross reference to find other models it'll fit, then that makes the search a whole lot wider...
    probably failed either due to prior poor installation where the tags have been damaged or lack of lubrication in the speedo drive gearbox, so even when you do get another it will need to be pulled down and re lubed.

Bike
    invisibike
    Blog Entries
    didn't even see these replies. sorry guys.
    Quote Originally Posted by imdying View Post
    Warehouse $10 bike computer?
    20$ from avanti. good idea. ( i bought one) not so good in application - wire's too short and sensor-mounting issues. (for sale: bike computer, 30$...PM me)
    thanks though!

Quote Originally Posted by pete376403 View Post
    Is the drive cable in good condition - no kinks or sharp bends, not rusted inside, inner cable not frayed? Do the ring and pinion turn freely? If both of these are in good condition the drive washer should last as more or less forever. The one on my GS1100G has done 90000k (that I know about) and is still in perfect condition. Before obtaining some super-replacement, work out why the original failed. Then make one like has been suggested - the speedo doesn't require massive amounts of torque.

Quote Originally Posted by jellywrestler View Post
    forget the year of rego, whats on the steering head?
    i doubt its a D, that's 1984 basically this letter denotes the year up to this century then they used K1-K12 get the year off the stem (pm me with this), a parts search then a parts cross reference to find other models it'll fit, then that makes the search a whole lot wider...
    probably failed either due to prior poor installation where the tags have been damaged or lack of lubrication in the speedo drive gearbox, so even when you do get another it will need to be pulled down and re lubed.

1)everything else is fine. cable spins and speedo indicates good in drill chuck.
    i stripped it down the first time it jumped the groove (suspect gey who fitted front tyre never torqued axle properly a'cause it was too easy to get off) i filled it with clean grease at that time. also bent central tabs in a bit (they were worn) to engage more, but obviously it wuz beyond it.

2)that would be the gr272a (serial 123217) the one wreckers had was of a gsx1100. i might just bite the bullet, and buy it. fuck. =(

(anyone know other bike wreckers in akl?)

Bike
    Blog Entries
    I'll have a look out in the shed tomorrow - I have the remains of a crashed GS1000L so the speedo drive should be in there somewhere . If i find it I'll measure it and let you know.
    (PostalDave on ADVrider)

Bike
    TF125
    I'll have a look out in the shed tomorrow - I have the remains of a crashed GS1000L so the speedo drive should be in there somewhere . If i find it I'll measure it and let you know.
    Don't bother.

...and i've just shelled out for another fucking speedo drive.

Bike
    invisibike
    Blog Entries

thanks.

you can ignore our mad friend up there. (but don't go to any effort on my account)

it would be interesting to know if it will fit.
    FWIW the one i got was offa GSX1135. the housing is missing a good chunk it's edge, so will fill up with dust and grit. yay.
    i'm takin the new washer out and fitting it to me old mech. (could do with spare washer...)

Bike
    Blog Entries
    Ok if this helps at all... (sorry about imperial measurements, can't find the metric caliper)

Outside diameter 1.70" inside diameter 0.90", outer tab width 0.30", outer tab height (from back of drive washer 0.275", inner drive tab width 0.280", drive washer thickness 0.063"
    (PostalDave on ADVrider)

Bike
    invisibike
    Blog Entries
    Ok if this helps at all... (sorry about imperial measurements, can't find the metric caliper)

Outside diameter 1.70" inside diameter 0.90", outer tab width 0.30", outer tab height (from back of drive washer 0.275", inner drive tab width 0.280", drive washer thickness 0.063"
    . .
    Last edited by Akzle; 9th July 2012 at 12:56. Reason: dupli-shit

Bike
    invisibike
    Blog Entries

f*ck me. i still haven't worked out the imperial scale on my verniers... :S
    who the hell uses binary anyway??

Bike
    Blog Entries

Outside diameter 1.70" 43.55mm inside diameter 0.90" 22.8mm , outer tab width 0.30" 7.61mm , outer tab height (from back of drive washer 0.275" 7.0mm , inner drive tab width 0.280" 7.15mm, drive washer thickness 0.063" 1.62mm

Conversions added for the imperially challenged. All measurements give or take a wee bit.

Pity we no longer use rods, chains, perches, cubits and other interesting measurements
    (PostalDave on ADVrider)

Bike
    invisibike
    Blog Entries

F@ck f@ck f@ck

so it gone done it again.

wtf.
    i torqued the axle to middle-of-the-road of the listed specs. next time i'm torquing it all the way.

why the fuck is it doing it?!?!?!

i'll get one of you guys to send me washers. pretty please.

Bike
    Blog Entries
    Are you absolutely sure there are no missing spacers in there? maybe you should pull the bearings and spacer out of the wheel and assemble it with the speedo drive into the fork, the drive, just to see whats going on. Once the axle nut is nipped up tight, that should be it, no further compression.

Parts diagram for GS1000 but yours should be similar http://www.cmsnl.com/suzuki-gs1000-1...2.html#results

Does the speedo drive (item 11) have the spacer (8) ?

parts diagram for 89 GSX750. items numbers changed to 8 & 9 http://www.cmsnl.com/suzuki-gsx750-1...1.html#results
    (PostalDave on ADVrider)

Thread Information