Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: South Island - any suggestions?

Bike
    ZZR1100 D7
    When you are in Te Anau, a great way down to Riverton is down through Manapouri and the Clifden-Blackmount Road to Tuatapere and Riverton.

Forests, lakes and coastline in 1 hit.

I'm amazed how many tourist guides miss this little bit of NZ out.

Bike
    1993 Yamaha FJ 1200
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by MaxB View Post
    When you are in Te Anau, a great way down to Riverton is down through Manapouri and the Clifden-Blackmount Road to Tuatapere and Riverton.

It's called the Southern Scenic Route (Google it). It features quite well actually. You can follow it from Te Anau all the way round to Dunedin.
    When life throws you a curve ... Lean into it ...

Bike
    Honda Pan European ST1100
    Blog Entries
    Mix some Dettol in Baby Oil. Best sandfly repellant ever.
    Thomas's Lodge & Holiday Park, Owaka in the Catlins, is highly recomended stay.
    Gremlin quoted my favourite Sth Island roads.
    Pubs are good places to stay. Fantastic free campsites on the Milford Road. Flowering Lupins, Fogloves etc on the Eglington River - so pretty. Mount Cook campsite was fabulous. Views down the valley and back over the bush to the mountains. So picturesque.
    Interesting comment I heard recently. "People in the South Island are wierd. They are so friendly." from a Jaffa - obviously.
    Atheism and Religion are but two sides of the same coin.
    One prefers to use its head, while the other relies on tales.

Bike
    2 red ones and a white one
    Quote Originally Posted by MaxB View Post

I did this road last year. 2 kms of the worse road works I've ever been on.
    Lucky I was on a small block Guzzi with narrow wheels.
    Thick mud tracks that seemed to go forever. It was recommended to us by a Te Anau camping ground owner.
    Yes, apart from this, I loved the road. Stopped for a coffee at the Tuatapere cafe (it was full of antiques and such).
    We did the Catlins as well, staying at Mcleans Falls motel. There's a cafe there if you're desperate (and have plenty of money).
    Best trip I've done on a bike.

Bike
    ZZR1100 D7
    Quote Originally Posted by FJRider View Post
    It's called the Southern Scenic Route (Google it). It features quite well actually. You can follow it from Te Anau all the way round to Dunedin.
    Yup I have heard of the Southern Scenic Route. Done it a few times. BTW officially it starts in Queenstown. But parts of it are not that well signposted. I have a friend who has lived there all her life and is in the tourist industry and never gets asked about it. When Southland is mentioned it is in the context of booking a luxury coach trip from Queenstown to Milford Sound.

I found it well signposted from Dunedin down and Balclutha down to the Catlins but in Te Anau it is easy to miss the Manapouri turn off if you are a visitor.

Bike
    2 675R's & a Tracer GT
    Quote Originally Posted by FJRider View Post
    There have been plenty of threads asking the same thing. Search South Island tour.

Top 10 camping grounds have budget cabins ... but most motels/camps have a booklet called Budget Accommodation they provide for free. You should be able to source a copy in your locality.

But the roads in the south island are really ... really ... really bad. More Traffic Patrol cars per Km than anywhere else in NZ. Boring roads with lots, and lots, and lots ... of traffic. Dont ask about all the rain we get down here ... and we wont need to tell you ...

Perhaps a tour of Auckland City roading network instead. As most of the Goverments road funding in the last 20 years has been spent there ... so it must be good ...

He he, nice try. You'll have to do better than that to keep the North Islanders away.

We're planning a month trip round the SI when I've sold my SV and got the Sprint GT that I'm eyeing up. Been 19 years since my last tour down there. Far too long!
    Do us all a favour, by bringing yourself up to speed, before pulling onto the motorway.

Bike
    Honda Pan European ST1100
    Blog Entries
    from an earlier post.

North of Motueka go to Marahau. Great wood carvings on left near end of Harvey road. Start of Able Tasman track. Take Riwaka / Sandy Bay Rd. for trip back.
    North of Westport. Great run up the hill to see the Denniston Incline.
    To the end of the road past Karamea is worth the trip. Start of Heaphy track.
    The road over the Crown Range South from Wanaka has the best seal in NZ on one section. Great views.
    Seems a bit messy around Southland. H'way 94 is flat. 10km /100km it's all the same.
    Catlins:Slope Point, Curio Bay, Thomas Catlins Hostel in Owaka and Nugget Point are recommended.
    You could take H'way 6 from North of Kohatu on your way South.Then take Tophouse road from 63 going North. Through Golden Downs to meet H'way 6 to Wakefield - Nelson.
    This thread (http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/sh...ad.php?t=86074) and Pete's Blog are worthy reads. He packed an amazing amount of travel into a short time, saw some great sights and had some wonderful experiences.
    Atheism and Religion are but two sides of the same coin.
    One prefers to use its head, while the other relies on tales.

Bike
    Il4 and Vtwin
    Quote Originally Posted by PrincessBandit View Post
    Balu and I are intending to ride the South Island over the Christmas holidays.
    Maybe we might get to catch up with some southern kb dwellers if we're sufficiently organised!

PB
    Try contacting the organisers of the KB Sth Island do and see if they could change the date and have it when you are down. They don't get royality down there, very often.

Bike
    Baby Gixxer
    Blog Entries
    Hahaha, we're soooo looking forward to this trip. Will most definitely check out all the great advice given here - thanks guys!
    I lahk to moove eet moove eet...

Katman to steveb64
    Quote Originally Posted by Katman View Post
    I'd hate to ever have to admit that my arse had been owned by a Princess.

Bike
    1993 Yamaha FJ 1200
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by doc View Post
    Try contacting the organisers of the KB Sth Island do and see if they could change the date and have it when you are down. They don't get royality down there, very often.
    There's already one or two from the north island that show up ... that are a bit dodgy ...
    When life throws you a curve ... Lean into it ...

Bike
    Baby Gixxer
    Blog Entries
    Only one big sleep to go.... starting to get butterflies with anticipation!

Katman to steveb64

Bike
    2017 Suzuki Dl1000
    Is that the 10th that you are riding Balclutha to Cromwell? If so I can't think of a better excuse to head out and meet up with you?
    Time to ride

Bike
    Baby Gixxer
    Blog Entries
    Yep, those dates are correct - we arrive in Balclutha on the 10th, then on the 11th head to Cromwell. Would be great to meet up! I'll pm you my mobile so we can arrange it.

Katman to steveb64

Bike
    Royal Enfield 650 & a V8 or two..
    Quote Originally Posted by PrincessBandit View Post
    Yep, those dates are correct - we arrive in Balclutha on the 10th, then on the 11th head to Cromwell. Would be great to meet up! I'll pm you my mobile so we can arrange it.

The 10th?
    I'm working that day - but feel free to drop in at work, ask for scumdog and they'll know who to get.
    Winding up drongos, foil hat wearers and over sensitive KBers for over 14,000 posts...........
    " Life is not a rehearsal, it's as happy or miserable as you want to make it"

Bike
    2017 Suzuki Dl1000
    I'm off from the 8th - 10th but back at work on the 11th. So maybe I'll catch up with you either in Te Anau or down in the Catlins. I'll text you closer to the time.
    Time to ride

Thread Information