Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: The long life of my '99 TL1000S

Bike
    1999 Suzuki TL1000sx

The long life of my '99 TL1000S

Just thought I'd share whats happened to my TL over the last 12 years of ownership.

This is the earliest picture I have, taken in 2002. Pretty standard except Brake lines, Two Bros cans, rear hump and polished headers and Rear Ohlins shock.

Here's me at Taupo Motorsport Park in 2008

Let the modding begin!!
    This was after installing the Clear clutch cover, rear brake spring and retainer, fender eliminator and FP Racing levers.

Hmmmm Yoshi RS-3's?
    This was after trying out some Yoshimura RS-3 cans, putting in the new pressure plate and retainers, some mini indicators and a Galfer rear disk brake.
    Didn't like the Yosh cans as they were to quiet and really wanted a full exhaust system to add a few horses.

Naaa Full M4's are better
    This was after putting on A full M4 Exhaust system with titanium cans and carbon tips, a custom billet top yolk, front and rear billet brake reservoirs, Power Commander III USB, carbon look mirrors, Billet sprocket cover and Bandit 1200 Nissin 4 pot callipers

A bit of powder coating and some more bling
    Added some Carbon fiber heel guards, a Driven gear selector, powder coated the footpeg brackets and fairing stay, got some good ol Trademe footpegs and had the forks rebuilt with new Race Tech internals

Still not happy....Needs the gap mod.
    The Gap mod involves removing the black plastic tray under the riders seat, relocating the battery to under the hump, making a tray to retain the boot space and making all the leads and wiring longer. I should have put up some before photos

Don't make your own Gap Tray!!! It's a mission. but worth it in the end
    This is after relocating the battery, ECU and Power Commander

Thanks for the dimensions John (N2Wheelies TLPlanet member)
    This is the finished template I made from cardboard for the gap tray

Gap Mod Done
    Now there is a large Gap that you can see through below the riders seat, just makes it look a little racey'er IMOHO.

After putting it back together, adding a DRD speedo healer, K2 GSXR1000 rear calliper, powder coating the rear sub-frame, rear brake hanger, axle sliders, rear torque arm and the gap tray, and cutting of a few bits of unneeded alloy on the sub frame.

Needed some new wheels and a hugger
    After installing the New Carrozzeria forged Alloy Rims on some new Pirelli Diablo Rosso II's and A Carbon Fiber rear Hugger. I had to make a new bracket to hold the hugger on the right, so made it fancy for the hell of it.

Close up of the home made bracket to fit the hugger....

Add some Galfer Wave front rotors, a Driven 520 conversion chain and sprocket Kit.

Put on a 07 GSXR 750 front end and a tank protector, and this is how it's sitting today

Here's the complete mod list of what has happened since 1999:

Vanzuki Billet Bits:
    Black Top Triple, Front/Rear Reservoirs, Clear clutch cover, Sprocket cover, Rear brake spring/retainer, Starter Cover and Pressure plate.

Main Purchases:
    Ohlins Rear shock, Full Race Tech fork upgrade, M4 Full Exhaust, PC III USB, Carrozzeria Rims, Driven chain and sprocket 520 Conversion

Front End:
    07 GSXR 750 forks and Tokico Radial Callipers, 07 GSXR 750 Geelong Carbon Craft Carbon Fiber Front Fender, 08 GSX1300R Hayabusa Front Spindle and Sam's Spacer kit

Other Stuff:
    Rifleman's 1/5 insert*, Barnett Clutch Springs, MattTheHat's TRE, Shorty FP racing levers, Driven Gear selector, Fren tubo braided/Kevlar brake lines, EBC Extreme Pads, Galfer Wave Disks all round, K2 GSXR1000 rear calliper, TLR Master cylinder, KnN oil/air Filters, SpeedoDRD speedo calibrator, R6 throttle tube, Home made Gap Mod Tray, Home made "TL" hugger bracket, IP Performance carbon hugger heel guards, Geelong Carbon Craft Large Carbon Fiber Tank Protector and a small amount of powder coating

Weight Loss:
    17 kg's!!!

Bike
    Custom Nifty-Fiity. SR71

Bloody hell!

Quote Originally Posted by Mad-V2 View Post
    Just thought I'd share whats happent to my TL over the last 12 years of ownership.

This is the earliest picture I have, taken in 2002

Here's me at Taupo Motorsport Park in 2008

Let the modding begin!!
    Is this the only $25,000 TLs in NZ?
    Last edited by Gremlin; 14th July 2012 at 00:44. Reason: Quoted Embedded Media Removed
    Quote Originally Posted by Akzle View Post
    i just slammed my cock in the car door. Im going to complain to holden, as they didnt put a sign on the door advising me to either wear pants, or avoid slamming it on my penis.
    Fucksake. Hang yourself.

Bike
    In the rubbish bin
    At least for me, I can't tell one sports bike or non-chopper/cruiser from another.

So might be an idea if you explained a bit more whats in the photos? Because I didn't really understand what I was looking at.

Well I understand the parts list.

Whats a gap mod?
    Find out more at www.unluckyones.co.nz

Bike
    1999 Suzuki TL1000sx
    Quote Originally Posted by The Lone Rider View Post
    At least for me, I can't tell one sports bike or non-chopper/cruiser from another.

So might be an idea if you explained a bit more whats in the photos? Because I didn't really understand what I was looking at.

Well I understand the parts list.

Whats a gap mod?
    O.K there ya go I have edited it so you can read the full process in each step.

Bike
    In the rubbish bin
    O.K there ya go I have edited it so you can read the full process in each step.
    Heaps better.

Clear clutch cover is very cool.

One day it'd be awesome if someone made a fully functioning engine, that has clear covers all over.

Bike
    1999 Suzuki TL1000sx
    Yea that would be different, handy for maintenance!
    I've always wanted a V-Twin motor with clear casings and original internals as a display or coffee table that runs on power.

Bike
    1999 Suzuki TL1000sx
    Quote Originally Posted by Damantis View Post
    Is this the only $25,000 TLs in NZ?
    Yea wouldn't be far off that but I think there is at least 3 others in N.Z that wouldn't be far off that price tag, or maybe even more.

Bike
    1996 ZX6-R
    Jesus christ thats a lot of work. Well done that man. May as well sell it if you've finished and start again with something else

Bike
    Girlz bikes rule :-)

Thumbs up

Very very nice

Have you still got the race tech front fork internals

Bike
    1999 Suzuki TL1000sx
    Ha Ha yea right, I'll never sell this thing, still got a few other jobs to do on it yet like gut the airbox, 1080 big bore kit, freshen the motor, projector headlight kit, new Bitubo spring on a stick, upgrade the rear brakes again, upgrade the wiring loom and give the paint a re spray. Thats all I can think of at the moment but I'm sure some other stuff will come up.
    And if something bad happens before I finish, it will become a beach buggy

I do still have the OEM forks with Race Tech internals, I don't really want to sell those but if someone offered me the right price I may let them go.
    The Nissin Brakes are a good upgrade aswell but a far cry from the Gixer front end.

Bike
    In the rubbish bin
    Might as well add a bit of chrome somewhere, for the sake of another thing to add to it!

Bike
    mutton dressed up as lamb and a 73 XL250
    Well you know i love it.
    Be the person your dog thinks you are...

Bike
    Custom Ag100
    Awesome build, how's the real world performance over stock?
    "Sorry Officer, umm.... my yellow power band got stuck wide open"

Bike
    1999 Suzuki TL1000sx
    Quote Originally Posted by The Lone Rider View Post
    Might as well add a bit of chrome somewhere, for the sake of another thing to add to it!
    I never really got into chrome on sports bikes, I like the look of raw or polished alloy much better, different strokes for different blokes I guess.

Quote Originally Posted by 98tls View Post
    Well you know i love it.
    Same goes with yours Mike, I was referring to your TLS with the high price tag along with Patch's TLR and TLDV8's awesome TLS.
    And I know a couple of others who have the modding addiction like Saul for instance.
    Would be awesome to get them all together for a good run one summer.

Quote Originally Posted by BigAl View Post
    Awesome build, how's the real world performance over stock?
    Cheers BigAl, The difference is night and day mate but the ride itself is still just as entertaining.
    I might be a bit biased, but ya just cant beat the feel of a V-Twin trying to tear your arms off powering out of a corner

Bike
    In the rubbish bin
    I never really got into chrome on sports bikes, I like the look of raw or polished alloy much better, different strokes for different blokes I guess.
    Then get something anodized!

Can't be cast though, only machined billet!

Thread Information