Page 2 of 652 FirstFirst 12341252102502 ... LastLast

Thread: Sidecar Racing

Bike
    suzuki
    Quote Originally Posted by Fast Eddie View Post
    yea there are some rules, there is specified measurements for the front and rear wheel positions (think they have to be pretty close to inline with each other) and also the location of sidechair wheel.. and overall length/width dimensions I think..

can't be a trike or stuff like that I don't think
    So let me get this right, your'e a sidecar racer but know shit all about the rules, there's not a lot, best have a wee study of them Eddie, before you get knocked back at a meeting.

Bike
    BSA A10
    Quote Originally Posted by CHOPPA View Post
    Whats the rules with sidecars? Does it just have to have 3 wheels? Could you race one of those spiders or other 3 wheel motorbikes?
    No a Spyder or similar couldn't run in modern sidecars, maybe you could put a remit in so if it's got three wheels in anyway, shape or from it's eligble

The current rules mean the front and rear wheel can be offset no more than 75mm and the sidewheel has to be within the line of the rear axle and midpoint of the wheelbase
    http://www.mnz.co.nz/download/2012_M...ifications.pdf
    "If you can make black marks on a straight from the time you turn out of a corner until the braking point of the next turn, then you have enough power."

Quote Originally Posted by scracha View Post
    Even BP would shy away from cleaning up a sidecar oil spill.
    Quote Originally Posted by Warren Zevon
    Send Lawyers, guns and money, the shit has hit the fan

Bike
    BMW
    Quote Originally Posted by Kickaha View Post
    No a Spyder or similar couldn't run in modern sidecars, maybe you could put a remit in so if it's got three wheels in anyway, shape or from it's eligble

The current rules mean the front and rear wheel can be offset no more than 75mm and the sidewheel has to be within the line of the rear axle and midpoint of the wheelbase
    http://www.mnz.co.nz/download/2012_M...ifications.pdf
    Looking at those rules I reckon I could make my BMW meet the requirements.

I cant see anything about having a compulsory swinger all it says is that you have to have a maximum of 1 swinger....

I could make even be real fancy and switch sides for the "sidecar" so its on the outside of each track.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Sidecar.jpg 
Views:	41 
Size:	99.5 KB 
ID:	266475  

Bike
    BSA A10
    Looking at those rules I reckon I could make my BMW meet the requirements.
    Probably could but it wouldn't be competitive, there's a couple in the UK/Europe running S1000R motors
    Quote Originally Posted by CHOPPA
    I could make even be real fancy and switch sides for the "sidecar" so its on the outside of each track.
    If you watch racing out of Europe from a few years back there's sidecars set up on different sides
    "If you can make black marks on a straight from the time you turn out of a corner until the braking point of the next turn, then you have enough power."

Bike
    BMW
    Probably could but it wouldn't be competitive, there's a couple in the UK/Europe running S1000R motors

If you watch racing out of Europe from a few years back there's sidecars set up on different sides
    With that set up id lap the field

Bike
    BSA A10
    Go on then, I'd pay a chocolate fish to see it happen

Bike
    suzuki

If you watch racing out of New Zealand from a few years back there's sidecars set up on different sides
    corrected it for you

Bike
    Windle, MoBuilt, Fireblade, RS250, FZR4
    Quote Originally Posted by jellywrestler View Post
    So let me get this right, your'e a sidecar racer but know shit all about the rules, there's not a lot, best have a wee study of them Eddie, before you get knocked back at a meeting.
    my bike is legal to the rules and passes scrutineering so I don't see it being a major issue that I'm not 100% on sidecar dimensions, but I shall read them again just for you

before I get knocked back at a meeting? I don't know what that means.. but when only 3 of us turn up.. im always guaranteed at least 3rd place..

Bike
    Windle, MoBuilt, Fireblade, RS250, FZR4
    as long as your racing on the south island grid all good! make up them numbers..

Bike
    BSA A10
    Quote Originally Posted by jellywrestler View Post
    corrected it for you
    Haven't seen one here yet, would I have to watch some footage from the sixties back when you were racing them?

Bike
    BMW
    Quote Originally Posted by Fast Eddie View Post
    as long as your racing on the south island grid all good! make up them numbers..
    Might be worth a look to let some guys come along and race there trikes!

Bike
    BSA A10
    I've had the odd comment about how I must be mental to passenger on a sidecar and I must remove my brain before the races, the reality is that it's nowhere near as bad or as dangerous as most people seem to think

Another common misconception seems to be that you need a lot of upper body strength, anyone whose seen my puny arms would know that can't be true, a little bit of coordination and timing goes a long way when you're moving about at speed, get it right and the g force can help you a little bit,get it wrong and you'll either not make the move or be sliding down the track
    (which will cost you a slab of piss, pity you missed out on that shout Spyda )

I've found aerobic fitness helps the most hence I do a bit of riding on the MTB from time to time (not anywhere near enough though)

People tell me they wouldn't want to do it because they have no control, perhaps they could have a word to a rider who made a similar comment and then had their swinger run them off the track just to show the rider how much "control" they really had

The passenger can steer the outfit, cause it to loose or gain traction and cause it to handle like shit depending on where they put their weight

Might be worth a look to let some guys come along and race there trikes!
    You'd be keen to have a try? Dennis Charlett loved it when he did a few laps last year

Bike
    BSA A10
    How to passenger, watch this and you'll be fully trained and able to step in anytime

The guy in the video is Paul Woodhead three times world champion passengering for Steve Webster

Bike
    Forza 155 SE Pit Bike
    How to passenger, watch this and you'll be fully trained and able to step in anytime

The guy in the video is Paul Woodhead three times world champion passengering for Steve Webster
    That's very interesting Kick, thanks. It differs immensely from my own spastic technique which simply involves flailing around like an epileptic while attempting not to get thrown off.

There's more "work" in swinging one lap than an entire ten lap race on a solo.
    Vote David Bain for MNZ president

Bike
    BSA A10
    Quote Originally Posted by White trash View Post
    It differs immensely from my own spastic technique which simply involves flailing around like an epileptic while attempting not to get thrown off.
    I started like that, I haven't improved much either

Thread Information