Thread: Sidecar Racing

Bike
    motocompo
    Quote Originally Posted by nodrog View Post
    Attachment 270092

Bike
    Windle, MoBuilt, Fireblade, RS250, FZR4
    Quote Originally Posted by Grumph View Post
    Mo's still in Richmond, Nelson. He moved a while back so i don't have a number now but the pub at lunchime will find him...

The annual outing to the GP at Ruapuna seems to be his only trip outside Nelson now. I must come along on the Friday to see his reaction....

Maybe it should be a formal thing...all the guys who know him at an unveiling ?
    Haha im keen for an unveiling I'll see if I can dig up a number but maybe just wait until the GP at Ruapuna - the bike is going to be up on the North Island until then anyway Old Mo should come on kiwibiker haha!

Quote Originally Posted by Henk View Post
    Looks bloody mint. I wouldn't get too worried about a sticker that is a bit wobbly, most people are only going to see it from a distance and at speed anyway. Excellent job, can't wait to see it in the flesh.
    Cheers

Quote Originally Posted by Kickaha View Post
    You should ask him for a loan of the AGIP leathers
    haha.. I bet he isn't 6 foot tall.. might be a squeeze. Would be cool though!

Quote Originally Posted by jellywrestler View Post
    fuck that, would you let anyone you know get in those! David Attenborough could do a Doco series on what probably lives and has lived in those...
    lol... yum
    picture of sidecar ready to go*
    shit yea, better fire it up and get some oil temp up!

Quote Originally Posted by sidecar bob View Post
    Yeah, because you would only need one set then.
    Eddie, Take another look at that old clip that ends with the Scrivy crash (I had nothing to do with it) & see the deck extension on the Agip outfit that extends behind the rear wheel. For some reason it has been removed over the years & I wonder if it should be re fitted.
    It seemed to work quite well & I dont think you will find another passenger anywhere, that got as far right & as far left as Vince did, he was an extremely comitted passenger.
    The thing is, that people buy a NZ title winner, as was the case with the Agip outfit, & then think they can make it faster with some hair brained mods, in their first ever year on sidecars.
    I suspect it stems from people thinking that they should be faster than they are & blaming the equipment, before they even begin to grasp the basics of how it all works.
    Yea, we noticed that platform out the back a while back.. I'll ask Vince about it maybe, Dave and Vince were still racing it when it was modified and the back platform was removed, it was about the time they switched from that 1100ish CC motor to the 1000cc water cooled unit it has now old FZR unit.. We thought maybe the platform put too much weight out back and unloaded the front wheel. Anyway will ask about it

we are all about going as fast as the bike can go - we know (think) its already set up pretty fairly well so we just leave it alone and try and learn how to ride it (plus the suspension/chassis has a decent range of adjustments that I know nothing about.. so best to leave it alone for now haha)

But I know what your saying here "& then think they can make it faster with some hair brained mods, in their first ever year on sidecars.
    I suspect it stems from people thinking that they should be faster than they are & blaming the equipment, before they even begin to grasp the basics of how it all works.." haha sounds kinda like the other Mo bike we have racing down here

Bike
    Bike Tranz update..

my bike was too fat (wide) to fit on their trailer/transporter

So they will pick it up with their bigger truck thats coming down to pick up some weighty Harleys next weekish.

Will keep ya posted...

Bike
    Other peoples weapons....
    Quote Originally Posted by Fast Eddie View Post
    (plus the suspension/chassis has a decent range of adjustments that I know nothing about.. so best to leave it alone for now haha)
    Ow.... I'll have a tinker with it..... I love changing suspension settings.....
    Is it still beastiality if ya fuck a frozen chicken??

Bike
    haha.. you play with mine and I'll play with yours

Bike
    Attachment 270092

Bike
    suzuki
    Bike Tranz update..

my bike was too fat (wide) to fit on their trailer/transporter

So they will pick it up with their bigger truck thats coming down to pick up some weighty Harleys next weekish.

Will keep ya posted...
    so you let your signwriter measure your bike too, time to change your name to Slow Eddie methinks!

Bike
    suzuki
    Quote Originally Posted by sidecar bob View Post
    It seemed to work quite well & I dont think you will find another passenger anywhere, that got as far right & as far left as Vince did, he was an extremely comitted passenger.
    If you knew a bit about passengering then last thing you need to aim for is to be as far right and as far left as one can. Vince used to tell me I wasn't doing it right, funny thing is for him to see that we had to be in front of him, it use to fuck him and Dave Beresford off when I'd give them the fingers through the esses at Wanganui.

Vince didn't understand the first rule in racing in the old days (and still applicable nowadays), and that was that the drive wheel needs to have the best traction possible, after all isn't the goal of racing to be the quickest and when your wheels spinning it's wasted traction. Classic you'll probably find on you tube for example is He used to jump in the deck coming out of the Paeroa hairpin as soon as the bike straightened up spreading his lard across the rear and the sidewheel approx 50% on each. You could hear and see the thing wheelspinning into fourth gear and maybe more when the done thing to do is apply all of your lard over the rear wheel until it wasn't wheelspinning, forget the sidecar wheel as ideally that should be airborne unless underbrakes or in righthanders. The sidecar wheel is toed in so in a straight line creates drag; drag isn't procative for racing is it really?
    Thing is at Paeroa they won so no point in saying anything, and why tell the opposition how improve eh?

Bike
    BSA A10
    haha.. I bet he isn't 6 foot tall.. might be a squeeze. Would be cool though!
    Two of you would probably fit in side by side
    " haha sounds kinda like the other Mo bike we have racing down here
    That was my first thought when I read that comment
    4 years to go as fast as the old team on the same bike and that's with improvements, to brakes, handling and more hp
    haha.. you play with mine and I'll play with yours
    You sound gayer everyday
    "If you can make black marks on a straight from the time you turn out of a corner until the braking point of the next turn, then you have enough power."

Quote Originally Posted by scracha View Post
    Even BP would shy away from cleaning up a sidecar oil spill.
    Quote Originally Posted by Warren Zevon
    Send Lawyers, guns and money, the shit has hit the fan

Bike
    Thing is at Paeroa they won so no point in saying anything, and why tell the opposition how improve eh?
    Maybe they wanted to lay big long black lines and still win whilst having fun................ I know someone else that likes to do that also......
    As Bob said at a sidecar riders brief one year - "If you can lift the sidewheel, or wave to the spectators while racing, then do it....." (Even if it does slow you down)

Me thinks they were obviously way faster than their competition at that time and place........ so they could afford to have fun..... and the biggest thing about street meetings, that the spectators enjoy the display, and even more important, they'll be back to watch the following year..... hopefully!
    Is it still beastiality if ya fuck a frozen chicken??

Bike
    suzuki
    Quote Originally Posted by scrivy View Post

Me thinks they were obviously way faster than their competition at that time and place........
    maybe at paeroa (i used Paeroa as an example as that's on you tube), not so everywhere else, my point is he had one position for 95% of left handers, as far off as he could get when often he only needed to go part way to keep the wheel low and get as much traction through the rear wheel, be quicker through the corner, higher exit speed and less energy expended too.
    A lot of swingers simply don't sit down and work out what they need to do, they just think it's as far left and as far right.
    Take a look at tony price for example, he had a few clues about how to do it well too.

Bike
    so you let your signwriter measure your bike too, time to change your name to Slow Eddie methinks!
    ? no.. my bikes in chch but I live in Dunedin and used Dunedin signwriter..

why would he need to measure the bike. I drew out/sketched where all the stickers would go/look like on the primered fairings and then measured everything and gave them a list of instructions. (ie, Team, height of capitol T 140mm, length of word 350mm) etc. for each sticker.

anyway - it ended up looking all good to me so who cares?

edit: I get ya, about transporter lol. nope no one measured the bike or asked its dimensions I know how wide it is.. no one asked. They said they were bringing a truck so I assumed they were not concerned about size

Bike
    suzuki
    ? no.. my bikes in chch but I live in Dunedin and used Dunedin signwriter..

why would he need to measure the bike. I drew out/sketched where all the stickers would go/look like on the primered fairings and then measured everything and gave them a list of instructions. (ie, Team, height of capitol T 140mm, length of word 350mm) etc. for each sticker.

anyway - it ended up looking all good to me so who cares?
    Read this real slow now Eddie.

The bike didn't fit in the bike tranz unit

the signwriting was the incorrect size

maybe the person who measured the bike to see whether it fitted in the bike tranz trailer was the signwriter cause they both got it wrong?

and somebody said you were at at university??

Bike
    Two of us would probably fit in side by side
    naw

and that's with improvements, to brakes, handling and more hp
    haha, hes keeping eveyone honest tho

You sound gayer everyday
    part of getting old.. eventually I get to your level

Bike
    Read this real slow now Eddie.

The bike didn't fit in the bike tranz unit

the signwriting was the incorrect size

maybe the person who measured the bike to see whether it fitted in the bike tranz trailer was the signwriter cause they both got it wrong?

and somebody said you were at at university??
    haha I edited it before you got to reply

no one measured bike for transporter, no one asked.

haha - and still you didn't get the point - who cares what the measurements were specifically for the signwriting. I told signwriter to make sticker 140mm high, he gave me 100mm high. etc. the problem was, I asked for 140 and he didn't give me 140. but in the end it looks good i recon, pretty close to the photos I have - close enough to get the jist of it.

edit: hehe.. I am enrolled at uni yes.. why?

Thread Information