Page 1 of 652 1231151101501 ... LastLast

Thread: Sidecar Racing

Bike
    Windle, MoBuilt, Fireblade, RS250, FZR4

Sidecar Racing

Thought I'd start a thread for the sidecar scene - mainly in the South Island since thats where I am (and the North Islanders seem to have a few more people in it) But anyones included of course!

We race whenever the bikes do if you haven't seen us or haven't come out to the track for a watch or a play yet.

Best thing about sidecars you can try before you buy! Come have a go during a lunch break or a practice day, (this applies to anyone, male female whatever, u don't need any prior experience and most of the time we can maybe find some gear to fit you if you don't have leathers/helmet etc.)

Most of us fellas here in South Island are keen as to take people out and get some new people into it. We usually do this during lunch breaks at race meetings - or on Tuesdays/Fridays during practice sessions. Swinging is cheap, a race license is about all you need! if you wanted to come compete and race.. u can get day licenses for 20 bucks or club licenses for cheap as - Come have a go. (you don't need anything to have a go with us to see what its like though)

If any of you, racers or spectators, that come to our club events like King of Levels/King of Ruapuna or haven't been but would be interested then come! and come over to the sidecars and have a go at lunch time.. Kills a few minute, its fun trust me, and maybe you decide to come for a free ride during our races and get into it or maybe even buy your own bike. They are cheap compared to what you guys spend on the 2 wheelers - and if ur just a passenger then its a good way to fill in the gap between races for your class

Couple of photos of my bike as it is now.. shes been in a shed for more than a year and needs a full going over and tidy up. But here are the before shots I guess.. when there is enough of a gap between events I'll tidy it up a bit..

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0415.JPG 
Views:	144 
Size:	554.3 KB 
ID:	266452Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0414.JPG 
Views:	160 
Size:	563.2 KB 
ID:	266453Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0501.jpg 
Views:	175 
Size:	848.9 KB 
ID:	266454Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0500.jpg 
Views:	162 
Size:	848.6 KB 
ID:	266455Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0491.jpg 
Views:	147 
Size:	784.9 KB 
ID:	266456Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0480.jpg 
Views:	134 
Size:	791.6 KB 
ID:	266457

Bike
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0468.jpg 
Views:	60 
Size:	722.5 KB 
ID:	266458

One more for good luck.

If people give it a go and love it there are chances to get into the sport and get racing pretty easily/quickly. Some good bikes for sale in the South Island that need riders and swingers! good opportunity to start new team, and some bikes may need swingers or swingers may need riders! plenty of opportunity to get a few more bikes on the grid down here. We have been struggling a bit for a while. Hoping for a decent turn out August KOL rnd 2 (fingers crossed) and a few new teams would pick things up and make it more exciting for spectators too.

Bike
    Exxon Valdez
    I'd be there in a heart beat man, it is sensational fun! When you loaned that chair to Jay, and I brought Leannes outfit down for the nats, it was the most fun I've ever had at the track!

Bike
    Quote Originally Posted by Drew View Post
    I'd be there in a heart beat man, it is sensational fun! When you loaned that chair to Jay, and I brought Leannes outfit down for the nats, it was the most fun I've ever had at the track!
    Hope ya can do it again bro! hehe And good to hear - it was wet at levels yesterday, just went sideways everywhere it was hilarious

Bike
    a shiny new(ish) one
    Im keen as to get on the side of one of these and give it a go as Ive told you before. what date it KOL round 2, I will try to get there for it.

what do these things sell for? I could be interested in one as a next toy - although I did just buy an ugly ass 1004 GSXR 1000, so might be a while before I convince the missus a sidecar is a good idea as well - I guess I could tell her she can swing for me though?

Bike
    suzuki
    Quote Originally Posted by Fast Eddie View Post

Best thing about sidecars you can try before you buy! this applies to anyone, male female whatever,
    this explains how Kickaha got into them finally

Bike
    Quote Originally Posted by tigertim20 View Post
    what date it KOL round 2
    August 11th

what do these things sell for?
    Cheap for the amount of fun! I got mine for 5k with everything I needed for a season or more maybe.. see how i go with the tyres but didn't lunch the wets even though the back was loving the freedom. First one I bought was 3,500 I lie it was actually only 3,000 also ready to go. I was looking at one in chch before this one. Think they wanted 4k ONO.. I'm not sure if that has sold yet or not.. Kickaha may know..
    Then if you want to be flash, I recon 10k or a pinch more will get you some serious machines.. proper competitive short bike that came ex UK, fuel inj (oops forgot he took injection off and put carbs on.. but think injection still with it) - R1 made by Windle. and a long bike made in nz that is got good potential and I'm told is a pretty damn fast bike. I guess for the pricier ones (you would be gettng serious looking for NZ nat champs title) you could form a team and put 5k in each.. massive bang for buck.

although I did just buy an ugly ass 1004 [2004?-Ed] GSXR 1000
    Filthy, how much? sell me your engine... would go mint in the bike

might be a while before I convince the missus a sidecar is a good idea as well - I guess I could tell her she can swing for me though?
    Good idea about the swinging, need more girls in it - Few in it though, North Island. All female team n stuff. She would love it if she likes having fun haha
    - and yea.. I didn't tell my mrs until I had paid most of it off the deal was done! First one I just didn't mention at all.. it just sort of showed up in the garage one day hehe

Bike
    a shiny new(ish) one
    yes an 04. got it for 4k.

Bike
    BSA A10
    Quote Originally Posted by jellywrestler View Post
    this explains how Kickaha got into them finally
    I first watched them at the Sydenham street race and thought I'd like a go at that, took about another 15 years before I actually got to try one, next best class to Buckets
    Me and Dave at Manfield

Me and Phill Garret, Ruapuna hairpin

Me and Dave with a minor engine problem at Ruapuna
    "If you can make black marks on a straight from the time you turn out of a corner until the braking point of the next turn, then you have enough power."

Quote Originally Posted by scracha View Post
    Even BP would shy away from cleaning up a sidecar oil spill.
    Quote Originally Posted by Warren Zevon
    Send Lawyers, guns and money, the shit has hit the fan

Bike
    Exxon Valdez
    The pirates old Windle was on trademe for $13,000 not long ago, two sets of wheels and tyres, plus another set of hoops. A shit load of other spares too.

I've ridden only two chairs, the pig that Leanne Thomas had, and that Windle. The price difference between them was $9,000, and there wouldn't have been a seconds hesitation...Windle all the way! When we first met Pete when he was selling it, we thought he was spinning a line when he said it was the best short chair in the country, I don't think that anymore.

Bike
    The pirates old Windle was on trademe for $13,000 not long ago, two sets of wheels and tyres, plus another set of hoops. A shit load of other spares too.

I've ridden only two chairs, the pig that Leanne Thomas had, and that Windle. The price difference between them was $9,000, and there wouldn't have been a seconds hesitation...Windle all the way! When we first met Pete when he was selling it, we thought he was spinning a line when he said it was the best short chair in the country, I don't think that anymore.
    not this one? also a short windle.. didn't know the pirate had owned it though..

http://www.trademe.co.nz/motors/moto...-470940893.htm

this one has dropped to 11k and there is a trailer if you need it

gwaarn!

Bike
    BSA A10
    Quote Originally Posted by Fast Eddie View Post
    not this one? also a short windle.. didn't know the pirate had owned it though..
    Pirate owned it before Bill although he spent more time pushing it and trying to start it than racing it, it would be a very competitive bike with the right crew on it

The guy currently seling it has only done a few races on it, came form a speedway background and I think he thought he'd be able to clean us up,he also didn't appreciate the sense of humour some of us have

I'd sell the carbs and put the injection back on it
    we thought he was spinning a line when he said it was the best short chair in the country, I don't think that anymore.
    Probably the best one with a 1000cc motor in it
    "If you can make black marks on a straight from the time you turn out of a corner until the braking point of the next turn, then you have enough power."

Quote Originally Posted by scracha View Post
    Even BP would shy away from cleaning up a sidecar oil spill.
    Quote Originally Posted by Warren Zevon
    Send Lawyers, guns and money, the shit has hit the fan

Bike
    BMW
    Whats the rules with sidecars? Does it just have to have 3 wheels? Could you race one of those spiders or other 3 wheel motorbikes?

Bike
    suzuki
    Quote Originally Posted by CHOPPA View Post
    Whats the rules with sidecars? Does it just have to have 3 wheels? Could you race one of those spiders or other 3 wheel motorbikes?
    Funnily enough they're in the rule book Sloan!
    over the years there's been Morgans and three wheeled Minis and other contraptions but the formula is what you see now, give or take 100mm here and there.

Bike
    Quote Originally Posted by CHOPPA View Post
    yea there are some rules, there is specified measurements for the front and rear wheel positions (think they have to be pretty close to inline with each other) and also the location of sidechair wheel.. and overall length/width dimensions I think..

can't be a trike or stuff like that I don't think

Thread Information