Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

Thread: New to riding, new bike! (Lozza2442)

Bike
    invisibike
    Blog Entries
    okay. for the sake of clarity, to help out our new friend and rectify my apparent ignorance, what have i said that is wrong?

it always piques my interest when someone thinks you do something different (asides from slower) on gravel. the physics remain the same, the grip is less. gravel accentuates the motions your vehicle WANTS to do...

fuck the chocolate fish, i'll let you buy me a beer next time i'm in the hood though.

Bike
    Dog Rooter, 1290 SDR
    Quote Originally Posted by Lozza2442 View Post
    Hokay, I've already done some training with Ridertraining. Now I just need to practice the basic stuff over and over and I'll prob go to NASS or SASS. I've gotten messages from a dude who seems pretty awesome offering to help (in a non creepy way I should add) so I'll defo try take him up on that offer at some point soon too.
    I'm stuck at a family thing all weekend, which is annoying cause all I really want to do is clock up some carpark practice hours -_-

When I recover from the costs of setting up I'm gonna go do this - http://www.ridertraining.co.nz/119527.html or this http://www.riderskills.co.nz/default...&rightbar=none preferably the first one but if they have no course dates then the second.
    The more professional training you can do the better. Cant remember how many Ive done but they have all been great. I found Sass good as we do different things each week. Trips are also good as you get real time to ride and really get used to the bike. If you come on Mahas trips you can normally find someone to help carry gear. Distances are not to high for L platers and no speeding. They made a big difference to my riding.
    Quote Originally Posted by Katman View Post
    but once again you proved me wrong.
    Quote Originally Posted by cassina View Post
    I was hit by one such driver while remaining in the view of their mirror.

Bike
    Exxon Valdez
    Quote Originally Posted by Akzle View Post
    okay. for the sake of clarity, to help out our new friend and rectify my apparent ignorance, what have i said that is wrong?

it always piques my interest when someone thinks you do something different (asides from slower) on gravel. the physics remain the same, the grip is less. gravel accentuates the motions your vehicle WANTS to do...

fuck the chocolate fish, i'll let you buy me a beer next time i'm in the hood though.
    For the love of christ man, the reason you cannot use the rear bike more the the front is very bloody simple. Weight is transferred forward as soon as the brakes are applied, so the amount of traction at the rear is progressively lessened the more that the brakes are put on.

Bike
    2004 Suzuki GN125
    Quote Originally Posted by Drew View Post
    For the love of christ man, the reason you cannot use the rear bike more the the front is very bloody simple. Weight is transferred forward as soon as the brakes are applied, so the amount of traction at the rear is progressively lessened the more that the brakes are put on.
    Don't be hating on me, but I got told at my Ridertraining.co.nz training that you're meant to apply the back brake a half second before the front so the weight sits at the back and there's no chance of locking up/flipping the bike. "Should be 60% rear brake 40% front at all times."

Bike
    Dougcati, Geoff and Suzi
    In my opinion, if you're not braking hard it shouldn't be an issue. I can ride everywhere on a GN using only the rear brake If however, you're panic braking, the rear won't stop you fast...ever.

Practice your emergency stops (I know the GN is not a very great bike in terms of stopping, in fact, they suck properly)
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul in NZ View Post
    Ha...Thats true but life is full horrible choices sometimes Merv. Then sometimes just plain stuff happens... and then some more stuff happens.....

Alloy, stainless and Ti polishing.
    Bling your bike out!
    PM me

Bike
    A blue one
    Don't be hating on me, but I got told at my Ridertraining.co.nz training that you're meant to apply the back brake a half second before the front so the weight sits at the back and there's no chance of locking up/flipping the bike. "Should be 60% rear brake 40% front at all times."
    your not going to flip a GN125

everybike handles and brakes differently and as much as everyone goes on about weight transfer
    if you have a crap stock setup that the bike pogo's worse than one of those spring ride on toys
    the sensation is pretty spincher cleanching... hence why 60% rear to drag the nose down then
    using the front with a decent preload to stop..

i hardly use the rear brake on one of my bikes, a good tap and i leave one hell of a skidmark..
    mind you dual sixpots up front you don't grab a handfull just use a ring finger..

personally id get over to the old carrington polytech on a weekend and ride around all the
    carparks and inner roads loads of space

have a read of twist of the wrist..

Bike
    2004 Suzuki GN125
    Quote Originally Posted by carburator View Post
    your not going to flip a GN125
    I'm not worried about flipping it, was merely repeating what was taught to me in my training for arguments sake

Quote Originally Posted by carburator View Post
    personally id get over to the old carrington polytech on a weekend and ride around all the
    carparks and inner roads loads of space
    There's no security to tell you to feck off at unitec? Good idea then, will get the fulla to pillion me over there then cause I actually know the area so will know whats next.

Bike
    Its a Boat
    I always use the rear break...its hit first before the front.
    The advice given is good advice, I apply a gentle touch to the rear break going downhill into corners also.
    It certainly seats the bike well, you can feel the difference.

Bike
    Exxon Valdez
    Ok, I have once again forgotten that what happens to any advice on here is nothing but more confusing and contradicting information, that will completely do the head of the noob in.

Do what works, practice everything, and punch the first person that brings up fuckin counter steering, straight in the cock! It is something you do already, and thinking about it will not make you better at it.

Bike
    2004 Suzuki GN125
    Ok, I have once again forgotten that what happens to any advice on here is nothing but more confusing and contradicting information, that will completely do the head of the noob in.
    Thats the nature of the internet though isn't it? Everyone thinks their way is correct.

Do what works, practice everything, and punch the first person that brings up fuckin counter steering, straight in the cock! It is something you do already, and thinking about it will not make you better at it.
    I think the only place I've seen countersteering discussed is in the bike road code. I shall try to find its cock so I can punch it haha.

Bike
    Windle, MoBuilt, Fireblade, RS250, FZR4
    Quote Originally Posted by ducatilover View Post
    (I know the GN is not a very great bike in terms of stopping, in fact, they suck properly)
    I'd have to say the mrs gn250 has enough stopping power to make the front wheel squeal like a pig and the rear hover over the ground slightly.. with a better tyre on the front it would do fine.

as for that advice about 60% rear 40% front..

well you're not an electronic brake balance controller so you'r never going to be that accurate hehe! but sounds terrible to me..

why don't you just go out and ride OP? put the kms under your belt and gain experience by riding on all roads in all weather.

you'll soon see that if you want to stop fast or in an emergency its going to be all front brakes on MOST bikes.. on tarmac/tar seal road too..

but there are so many techniques and skills to learn. not really a matter of learning a few tips n tricks and then being an awesome rider.

put the kms on the clock, experience rain, ice, snow, gravel, mud, sticky roads, slippery roads etc etc etc.

Bike
    punch the first person that brings up fuckin counter steering, straight in the cock!

10 charssss

Bike
    Quote Originally Posted by Maha View Post
    I always use the rear break...its hit first before the front.
    The advice given is good advice, I apply a gentle touch to the rear break going downhill into corners also.
    It certainly seats the bike well, you can feel the difference.
    true, lots of different braking applications in situations and very dependant on the bike as well - and gentle touch to the rear during a corner is different to her advice she said she got of 60% rear 40% front all the time!

try stopping as quick as you can using the back brake more than the front let us know how it goes.. down hill too..

there are so many techniques to learn like dragging the brakes to settle it down in a corner or as wheelie control etc.. but basics for a learner should focus on stopping safely and quickly when things get sticky. for me its definitely all front brake. but I'm on a sports bike.

Bike
    2004 Suzuki GN125

Thumbs up

Hey all!

First of all, I'm a chick rider, early 20's and my fiancee just got me into riding. Soooo. I've just gotten my learners and secured a bike off trade me. A suzuki GN125, something small with the aim of not killing myself. Haven't been on the road yet, haven't done any corners yet, so WISH ME LUCK!

I'm nervous, but the interwebz seem to have all sorts of tips.
    What are YOUR main tips? What do you wish you'd know when you first started riding?

Looking forward to talking to y'all more.

Loz
    I'm just gonna put this here.

Referencing to my first post, I was merely asking for tips etc was never my intention to make it seem like I was trying to learn from theory.

For example tips like what the first person responded - White lines are more slippery than you think.

I wish I could be as accurate as a robot though. That'd be pretty epic.

Bike
    I was merely asking for tips etc
    ask all you want, you'll never get it here at KB muahahaha..

I can't think of any tips.. Ice.. its slippery.. rain.. makes road slippery.. snow.. pretty slippery..

white lines, they are ok, not as slippery as ice, worse when wet

rain.. its wet.. wear a coat.

wind and cold are real killers on long journeys - if u riding for like more than 20 min/half hour u'll want to layer up heaps. keep warm (although if ur up north u wont know what winter and snow is hehe)

get a wee tool kit on your bike cause eventually a nut or bolt will rattle lose or you'll get a tyre puncture or something. good to have a basic tool kit and puncture repair kit onboard. I also carry a first aid kit on my bike.

in summer please ride in a bikini at all times. (male or female doesnt matter)

Thread Information