Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: Suzuki's sport tourer: GSX1250FA review.

Bike
    2017 Suzuki Dl1000
    Quote Originally Posted by paturoa View Post
    Fourth = 4th
    Thanks. I missed that, and changing down isn't needed.

Quote Originally Posted by YellowDog View Post
    I would not ever overtake in 4th gear, unless I was on the motorway. I'd just make sure I was around 5000 revs and be in whatever gear corresponds .....
    5000 rpm is 133 kmh in 6th, and peak torque is at 3750, right at 100 kmh. How can winding it on when right at peak torque be considered "Labouring gears"?
    Time to ride

Bike
    Had a 2007 Suzuki C50T Boulevard
    Quote Originally Posted by Jantar View Post
    Thanks. I missed that, and changing down isn't needed.

5000 rpm is 133 kmh in 6th, and peak torque is at 3750, right at 100 kmh. How can winding it on when right at peak torque be considered "Labouring gears"?
    Heyup! From 100km/h it's only an eye blink to 160 and unless you glance at the speedo you don't know how fast you are going!
    You don't get to be an old dog without learning a few tricks.
    Shorai Powersports batteries are very trick!

Bike
    Various things
    The owners manual recommends 91.

Yeah but 91 overseas is a shitload better than our 91, which is junk. Our dyno tells us everytime there's a considerable difference in power and torque between 91-95+.

Bike
    bandit
    Yeah 'Twas I ... I'm the zippy hoon .. I do chop it down to pass ... it depends on how fast you want to pass ... In fourth gear the bike goes around the vehicle like it's a chicane ... bugger all time spent on the wrong side of the road ... I think (from memory) If I cut it down two gears at 100 klicks (or less) and open the throttle the speedo says something on the far side of 140 klicks as I pass the front of the car ... depending on how wide you open it ...

But I rode on the back of a friend of mines' 1250 and he was in sixth gear around town (50 klicks) and the bike had no problems .. I just ride a little differently - and the bike is so versatile it is not an issue.

Around town, in 50 kmh areas, it is probably best to change down to 4th to overtake, but on the open road 6th gear is fine.
    Yup - it is that ... I just like waving the front wheel at cars as I go passed ... (But seriously ... I did that once accidently at 130 klicks .. I didn't realise I was still in second when I flicked the throttle open .. and the front wheel was about head high beside the driver of the car ... )

But as a Bandit-riding mate said one day "These bikes are great .. pick a gear - any gear and just go ..."

Quote Originally Posted by Edbear View Post
    I found sixth fine once over 65km/h. Engine like an electric motor with torque from any revs! If you twist it at 80km/h you better be expecting it!
    Yeah .. and if you're in third at 80 klicks and open the throttle ... hang on tight ...

It's not labouring the gears ... never said it was ... changing down just means you get around the car faster ...

And I've always run the bike on 91 ... it has no issues at all ..
    "So if you meet me, have some sympathy, have some courtesy, have some taste ..."

Bike
    2017 Suzuki Dl1000
    Quote Originally Posted by Banditbandit View Post

It's not labouring the gears ... never said it was ... changing down just means you get around the car faster ...

That was in response to Yellowdog's comment.
    Time to ride

Bike
    18 Triumph Tiger 1050 Sport
    That was in response to Yellowdog's comment.
    I guess that's why the engine seemed so lifeless to me.

I prefer a higher revving engine.

Each to their own eh.........

Bike
    bandit
    Quote Originally Posted by YellowDog View Post
    I guess that's why the engine seemed so lifeless to me.

I prefer a higher revving engine.

Each to their own eh.........
    Yeah .. That's probably why I change down a couple of gears to pass cars at 100 klicks or less .. the motor is more responsive ... it does have a bit more life in it at higher revs ...
    "So if you meet me, have some sympathy, have some courtesy, have some taste ..."

Bike
    Quiet plodder
    Thanks, but a hugger only stops the dirt from being thrown into the suspension, it doesn't stop it being thrown up the back of the bike. I will propbably add a hugger at some stage, but of more immediate concern is a simple mudflap at the rear.

I just brought this to extend the rear mudguard

http://kewwibike.blogspot.co.nz/sear...max-results=11

brought from

http://www.bobsbikestuff.co.uk/oursh...da-050085.html

its a pyramid ductail, fits nice, attaches with a sort of double sided tape-needs to be clamped for the glue to set over 24 hours, the part overlaps the mudguard.

it will stop the top box from getting covered in yuck etc
    Last edited by eldog; 24th May 2014 at 12:08. Reason: corrected link for GSX1250FA

READ AND UDESTAND

Bike
    2017 Suzuki Dl1000
    Quote Originally Posted by eldog View Post
    I just brought this to extend the rear mudguard

http://kewwibike.blogspot.co.nz/sear...max-results=11

Thanks, I have now ordered one.
    Time to ride

Bike
    A
    Interesting read...and in anticipating the power deficiency of the 1250 well in advance I went up one notch and got the real Suzuki sports tourer, the GSX1300RA...

Nice write up of the 1250 though. My brother had one, might be the reason I didn't buy one

Bike
    Quiet plodder

fuel, tuning, service,

Quote Originally Posted by Crasherfromwayback View Post
    Yeah but 91 overseas is a shitload better than our 91, which is junk. Our dyno tells us everytime there's a considerable difference in power and torque between 91-95+.
    can you elaborate on that. seems like most here run on 91, does it depend on supplier/brand?

How often do you recommend a tune up from new?
    Is there anything to look out for regarding service etc?

once I get my crap together (next year) could ride it to Welly for you to look at if you want

been reading www.Kewwibike.blogspot.com its interesting reading too...

could this bike become classic?

READ AND UDESTAND

Bike
    Dog Rooter, 1290 SDR
    So to dredge this thread, I now have one of these.

Its a very good standard bike but needs so help to be better. Ive sorted the forks with springs and Gold Valves. O2 delete has been done and it has sorted the constant speed slight surge. Changing the mirrors to lower smaller ones has solved the buffeting. Pair has been blocked to stop the popping slowing down. Have changed the pegs into the lower position which has made it more cumfy. Renthal ultra lows has made the front end light.

It will be going to be dynoed to free up the top end power. I will probably remove the secondry butterflys that start closing at 7500 rpm. A Nitron rear shock will be ordered soon. Maybe go -1 on the front sprocket as well.

They are a very smooth bike to ride and to be fair handles better than I thought it would. GSXFA seems to be valved firmer and it has stronger springs.
    Quote Originally Posted by Katman View Post
    but once again you proved me wrong.
    Quote Originally Posted by cassina View Post
    I was hit by one such driver while remaining in the view of their mirror.

Bike
    Dog Rooter, 1290 SDR
    Couple more decent rides on it now. Very comfortable and very easy to ride. Couple of adjustments to the suspension and she turns fine. Suspension being sorted helps the front brakes no end.

Will look at a screen extension as the stock one is to low. I like the look of the adjustable Givi one.

Looking forward to see what dyno time brings.

Bike
    R1200GSA
    Quote Originally Posted by nzspokes View Post
    So to dredge this thread, I now have one of these.

Its a very good standard bike but needs so help to be better. Ive sorted the forks with springs and Gold Valves. O2 delete has been done and it has sorted the constant speed slight surge. Changing the mirrors to lower smaller ones has solved the buffeting. Pair has been blocked to stop the popping slowing down. Have changed the pegs into the lower position which has made it more cumfy. Renthal ultra lows has made the front end light.

It will be going to be dynoed to free up the top end power. I will probably remove the secondry butterflys that start closing at 7500 rpm. A Nitron rear shock will be ordered soon. Maybe go -1 on the front sprocket as well.

They are a very smooth bike to ride and to be fair handles better than I thought it would. GSXFA seems to be valved firmer and it has stronger springs.
    When you get the nitron do not be tempted to go cheap. Get the R2 with separate compression and rebound clickers and get the remote preload adjuster. From memory you take a pillion semi-regularly? If yes you will thank me for reminding you to do this. Much easier to dial in just what you need and maintain a happy bike even loaded up. I ended up getting the remote added afterwards, more hassle and cost a wee bit more. It would have been worse except RT cut me a deal on a second hand one.
    Life is not measured by how many breaths you take, but how many times you have your breath taken away

Bike
    Dog Rooter, 1290 SDR
    Quote Originally Posted by Ulsterkiwi View Post
    When you get the nitron do not be tempted to go cheap. Get the R2 with separate compression and rebound clickers and get the remote preload adjuster. From memory you take a pillion semi-regularly? If yes you will thank me for reminding you to do this. Much easier to dial in just what you need and maintain a happy bike even loaded up. I ended up getting the remote added afterwards, more hassle and cost a wee bit more. It would have been worse except RT cut me a deal on a second hand one.
    That was my plan anyway. Part of the reason for this bike is I will be traveling for work doing training. So at times I will be carrying a decent amount of gear with me. Now I have to work out how to adjust the headlight.

On that note, what is a good touring windscreen for them?

Thread Information