Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sticky helmet?

Bike
    currently none

Unhappy Sticky helmet?

Hey guys im hoping someone can help me on here. i have a helmet that has unfortunatly sitting in the wardrobe for way to long and when i dug it out the other day it had what i thought was mould on the external shell. i have wiped most of it off with a cloth buth there is this sticky, slighlty dirty looking film over pretty much the whole helmet. i have tryed detergent and some stronger sprays to get it off but it wont budge. if i scratch it with my finger nail it comes off but balls up like residueleft over from an old stcker. its really wierd. if anyone has encountered this or knows how to get it off please please help me.

Bike
    Suzuki Smash 2016. (Yes, really!)
    My guess is the material is breaking down and wouldn't trust it. If it were mine I'd chuck it!
    "Statistics are used as a drunk uses lampposts - for support, not illumination."

Bike
    Triple Delight
    Go and invest in some de-solve it. It should lift the sticky dirt off easy as and leave behind a lovely shiney undamaged finish. If it doesn't, cut the straps off the helmet and bin it. Simple.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gubb View Post
    Nonono,

He rides the Leprachhaun at the end of the Rainbow. Usually goes by the name Anne McMommus

Bike
    nope ... gone burger
    steam is your friend - I mean the vapourised water version - no the user who may or may not still frequent KB.

.... back in green and feeling great ....

Bike
    V Rod
    I was almost too afraid to open this thread when I first read the title...
    There are two types of people in the world: Those who can extrapolate from incomplete data sets

Bike
    a red heap
    Just chuck it in the washing machine.

Bike
    2010 Honda CB1000R Predator
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Mom View Post
    Go and invest in some de-solve it. It should lift the sticky dirt off easy as and leave behind a lovely shiney undamaged finish. If it doesn't, cut the straps off the helmet and bin it. Simple.
    +1 to de-solve it.

Bike
    Your mom
    Use some strong alcohol to clean it.

Bike
    1988 Honda CD250u, 1997 Suzuki XF650
    Saw the title and immediately thought that you had the helmet on and couldn't get it loose...

Is it evenly all over the surface, or just on the side that was facing upwards?

Bike
    currently none
    Quote Originally Posted by BurningPlastic View Post
    Saw the title and immediately thought that you had the helmet on and couldn't get it loose...

Is it evenly all over the surface, or just on the side that was facing upwards?
    it is pretty even all over but thicker on the front than the rest. the paint or colour isnt coming off if i scratch at it, just looks nice and clean so i dont think its breaking down. ihave owned it for about 5 years but only got to wear it for about 8 months.

Bike
    2010 Honda CB1000R Predator
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Enadiius View Post
    it is pretty even all over but thicker on the front than the rest. the paint or colour isnt coming off if i scratch at it, just looks nice and clean so i dont think its breaking down. ihave owned it for about 5 years but only got to wear it for about 8 months.
    That does sound a little bit like the helmet might be breaking down to me. I'm wondering if being in the closest the helmet might have been exposed to some chemical for an extended period of time, like an alcohol based perfume, or something else like that.

But at 5 years, your helmet is pretty much at the end of its lifetime. It's time to replace it. Check out my blog on helmets.
    http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/en...orcycle-Helmet

Bike
    Dont have one now
    give it a good dousing in petrol inside and out.....take it out into the back yard and try and burn it off.....

Bike
    150lx vespa

sticky momo helmet

Quote Originally Posted by Enadiius View Post
    Hey guys im hoping someone can help me on here. i have a helmet that has unfortunatly sitting in the wardrobe for way to long and when i dug it out the other day it had what i thought was mould on the external shell. i have wiped most of it off with a cloth buth there is this sticky, slighlty dirty looking film over pretty much the whole helmet. i have tryed detergent and some stronger sprays to get it off but it wont budge. if i scratch it with my finger nail it comes off but balls up like residueleft over from an old stcker. its really wierd. if anyone has encountered this or knows how to get it off please please help me.
    I have a MOMO helmet, 4years old, always kept in the bag it came in, inside the garage. The last six months the helmet is sticky, soap and water don't work, tried Goo Gone, Mr. Clean Magic Eraser, hope someone has a solution. Love the helmet,

Bike
    1993 Yamaha FJ 1200
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by SMOKEU View Post
    Use some strong alcohol to clean it.
    Strain it through the kidneys first ..
    When life throws you a curve ... Lean into it ...

Bike
    None
    Blog Entries
    Chuck it. Buy a new one.
    If a man is alone in the woods and there isn't a woke Hollywood around to call him racist, is he still white?

Thread Information