Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Race trailer build?

Bike
    Windle, MoBuilt, Fireblade, RS250, FZR4
    Quote Originally Posted by BMWST? View Post
    power source from trailer for tyre warmers?
    yip want power points and a power source for sure..

Bike
    RC36, RC31, KR-E, CR125
    Quote Originally Posted by Fast Eddie View Post
    good man, all taken into consideration

Actual towing/or how the trailer tows - 17" mag wheels on low profile tyres on leaf springs? yay or nay.. trailer fully loaded would be about 900kg - 1.2 tonne.

Its that or 16" mags.. or 14" steelies (gay)
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	goldthrteens.jpg 
Views:	20 
Size:	63.9 KB 
ID:	267212

Powder coated steelies! You might want a bit of give in the tyres if the suspensions isn't too flash.

Here's a fancy idea. Go with torsion bar suspension, and have a motor on the end of the torsion bars to raise and lower the whole trailer! Torsion bar might be a good idea anyway if you want to drop the deck below the wheel centers.
    "A shark on whiskey is mighty risky, but a shark on beer is a beer engineer" - Tad Ghostal

Bike
    Quote Originally Posted by bogan View Post
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	goldthrteens.jpg 
Views:	20 
Size:	63.9 KB 
ID:	267212

Powder coated steelies! You might want a bit of give in the tyres if the suspensions isn't too flash.

Here's a fancy idea. Go with torsion bar suspension, and have a motor on the end of the torsion bars to raise and lower the whole trailer! Torsion bar might be a good idea anyway if you want to drop the deck below the wheel centers.
    yea I do have some 14" steelies to use I guess, only 4 stud tho.. but yea will want some give on leaf springs.

yessss your idea is a good one We had thought of that as Kickaha mentioned lowering/raising it. I love that idea - So I looked into it but unfortunately the cheapest torsion suspension bits I could find were costing close to 800/900 bucks.. compared to under 150 for the leaf springs.. soo mm. we opted for long ramps, a winch and the leafs for now. (happy to change plans if torsion bar avail for cheaper hehe, have not purchased leafs yet but about to order them in the next week)

but it is a cool idea, budget might not allow it. We are aiming to build most it for under a grand. so far all the steel needed has cost 350 bucks, the hubs stubs, suspension, coupling, lights etc 350, wheels and tyres, either 50-100 for the 14" steelies with tyres, or 145 for 17" 5 spokes in mint cond with new tyres.. so that 750 - 850 spent depending on rims. Got a fuel tank to pinch and fuel hoses/nozzle freebee.

All the extras I want will be on top of that but they were never part of the budget for the actual trailer. those are extras I can just slap on the visa and not tell the mrs about but they will add up quickly.

Bike
    RC36, RC31, KR-E, CR125
    yessss your idea is a good one We had thought of that as Kickaha mentioned lowering/raising it. I love that idea - So I looked into it but unfortunately the cheapest torsion suspension bits I could find were costing close to 800/900 bucks.. compared to under 150 for the leaf springs.. soo mm. we opted for long ramps, a winch and the leafs for now. (happy to change plans if torsion bar avail for cheaper hehe, have not purchased leafs yet but about to order them in the next week)
    sounds a bit steep, on the plus side, my van is probably worth more than I thought
    Be a bit more work, but you might be able to find a van/ute to pinch some out of at a suitable wreckers; mind you, the associated work with that would throw the budget over 1k, what do the vin/compliance costs come to?
    "A shark on whiskey is mighty risky, but a shark on beer is a beer engineer" - Tad Ghostal

Bike
    sounds a bit steep, on the plus side, my van is probably worth more than I thought
    Be a bit more work, but you might be able to find a van/ute to pinch some out of at a suitable wreckers; mind you, the associated work with that would throw the budget over 1k, what do the vin/compliance costs come to?
    haha a plus for you for sure hehe, keep an eye on that suspension hehe.

Vin/Compliance is a good question, I was told you simply turn up, get a standard trailer wof and then register it for whatever 6 months etc usual cost and get a plate.. This is coming from a trailer builder so inclined to believe him but haven't checked it out myself eh. First time building a trailer! lol

Yea was steep for the torsion but that quote came from a chch trailer company, might find cheaper options.. i saw torsion bars from like morris marinas etc but yea bit of effort involved. the leaf spring kit u buy u simply weld on. got everything u need with it so just gonna stick with the leafs n winch for now build.. if the bank acc gets healthier it could be an option to retro fit the torsion suspension and motor to lower/raise at a later date? hehe.. u can do anything with a grinder and a welder eh

Bike
    RC36, RC31, KR-E, CR125
    haha a plus for you for sure hehe, keep an eye on that suspension hehe.

Vin/Compliance is a good question, I was told you simply turn up, get a standard trailer wof and then register it for whatever 6 months etc usual cost and get a plate.. This is coming from a trailer builder so inclined to believe him but haven't checked it out myself eh. First time building a trailer! lol

Yea was steep for the torsion but that quote came from a chch trailer company, might find cheaper options.. i saw torsion bars from like morris marinas etc but yea bit of effort involved. the leaf spring kit u buy u simply weld on. got everything u need with it so just gonna stick with the leafs n winch for now build.. if the bank acc gets healthier it could be an option to retro fit the torsion suspension and motor to lower/raise at a later date? hehe.. u can do anything with a grinder and a welder eh
    I always assumed there would be some certing needed, but a quick look on the ltnz site says not, choice!

Bike
    a shiny new(ish) one
    I always assumed there would be some certing needed, but a quick look on the ltnz site says not, choice!
    Nah, 'home built' trailers are so easy to make legal its almost a little frightening. doesnt cost a whole lot either.

Bike
    1993 Yamaha FJ 1200
    Blog Entries
    Option 2 is buy a second had cheapie trailer and swap plates over. But trailer reg's are basic and the rules of registration differ to powered vehicles. You can get/renew rego prior to WoF.

Worst case ... a welding Cert may be asked for.

Maybe ... do a basic flat trailer ... then "add" to it after rego/wof.
    When life throws you a curve ... Lean into it ...

Bike
    BSA A10
    Actual towing/or how the trailer tows - 17" mag wheels on low profile tyres on leaf springs? yay or nay.. trailer fully loaded would be about 900kg - 1.2 tonne.

I'd put the 14 on, cheap tyres and easy to get anywhere in the country, probably something like a 175/65R14 to keep the cost/height down

Wouldn't bother with an onboard fuel tank, more complexity and hassle than it's worth compared to a gas can
    "If you can make black marks on a straight from the time you turn out of a corner until the braking point of the next turn, then you have enough power."

Quote Originally Posted by scracha View Post
    Even BP would shy away from cleaning up a sidecar oil spill.
    Quote Originally Posted by Warren Zevon
    Send Lawyers, guns and money, the shit has hit the fan

Bike
    KX450 Motard/Flat Track KTM150SX H2R
    Quote Originally Posted by Kickaha View Post
    I'd put the 14 on, cheap tyres and easy to get anywhere in the country, probably something like a 175/65R14 to keep the cost/height down
    agreed here, and also with the leaf springs, having broken a leaf spring on the road it was much easier to get a spare, with a torsion bar set up it will be much harder,

if you want to keep it low a stepped axle is an easier option,

Bike
    Dog Rooter, 1290 SDR
    You will need a BBQ and bar fridge also. Gas heater for going down south ways. Make the hammock a double in case you score while your away.
    Quote Originally Posted by Katman View Post
    but once again you proved me wrong.
    Quote Originally Posted by cassina View Post
    I was hit by one such driver while remaining in the view of their mirror.

Bike
    BSA A10
    Quote Originally Posted by scott411 View Post
    Good idea, that way you can ride it in
    Quote Originally Posted by nzspokes View Post
    You will need a BBQ and bar fridge also.
    Better idea than an onboard fuel tank and more useful, Phil can stock it up for when he hits the deck
    "If you can make black marks on a straight from the time you turn out of a corner until the braking point of the next turn, then you have enough power."

Quote Originally Posted by scracha View Post
    Even BP would shy away from cleaning up a sidecar oil spill.
    Quote Originally Posted by Warren Zevon
    Send Lawyers, guns and money, the shit has hit the fan

Bike
    KTM 250exc
    good man, all taken into consideration

Are you building a dual axle system? I'd say go dual if you can with the kind of weight you are talking about if you can afford to do so, and definitely braked. What are you using as a tow vehicle? most vehicles are only rated 500-750kg's un-braked. I think you might find you are a lot heavier than you think once the whole things enclosed etc. mine ended up being a bit heavier than expected. Keep this in mind unless you are building it out of flimsy furniture grade tubing. put the basic trailer over the weight station at your local rubbish tip to see what weight you are starting with.

As far as i could understand the NZ law doesn't require you to follow the vehicles tow rating, there's a test of if you can stop within 8 meters at 30km/h of something like that. regardless of what your trailers axles etc are rated to.

It would appear the Police don't care BUT YOUR INSURANCE COMPANY WON'T COVER YOU if you are above the load rating for your vehicle. A work colleagues friend found this out the hard way using his work wagon to tow a trailer with his sons project car on it. He was overweight for vehicle's tow rating and wrote off his work wagon, another suv he hit and the car on the trailer. No insurance payout as he was driving overloaded vehicle and has to sell the house to pay for the 3 damaged vehicles...

I think you'd probably find most people who bring a trailer to the track are borderline on their vehicle manufacture 'towing capacity'.

As for lights i run two LED driving lights from www.ledworld.co.nz through a bike battery, charged by solar panel. one is above the rear door and one at the front of the trailer, the rear door one swivels out to light the ramp/deck area. Solar panel is cheap as and can just fix it to the roof and leave plugged in.

I went to Jaycar and bought two hobby boxes and pulled the cigarette adapter out of my old scooter, then the solar panel plugs in through the cigarette adapter, and the two switches are rigged up in a 3way system so the lights can be switched on and off from either door. also lets you charge phones etc and even put a USB cigarette adapter in for charging stuff that way.

Solar panel:
    http://www.trademe.co.nz/motors/car-...-498058614.htm
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1600.jpg 
Views:	25 
Size:	569.8 KB 
ID:	267228   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1601.jpg 
Views:	22 
Size:	766.4 KB 
ID:	267229  

Bike
    suzuki
    - Onboard fuel tank and pump (flag carrying around a bunch of plastic jerry cans, I have a habit of dropping them and cracking them anyway)
    - A fold down bed idea for out of town racing events where no other accomodation is available
    what happens at tracks where you 're required to leave your trailer in a trailer park?
    also what happens when you're low on motion lotion and someones just nipping into town and you want a bit of gas, do they have to take the whole trailer.

ever heard of a pump up thing called a lilo? or an airbed?

Bike
    Quote Originally Posted by FJRider View Post
    Maybe ... do a basic flat trailer ... then "add" to it after rego/wof.
    Thats the plan will just make the flat deck first and then get it wof and reg. then will add a box on top..

Wouldn't bother with an onboard fuel tank, more complexity and hassle than it's worth compared to a gas can
    True.. swinger already found pump thats grounded/suitable for petrol.. and thinks nozzle should be fine as long as your holding onto it.
    Will see how we go, its not really gonna cost anything to stick the tank on the trailer but if its a bad idea will leave it.
    Will go with 14" then.. 15" that much of a difference in tyre choices? cause the 14's are steelie shitters, 15" can be alloy mags..

Quote Originally Posted by scott411 View Post
    agreed here, and also with the leaf springs, having broken a leaf spring on the road it was much easier to get a spare, with a torsion bar set up it will be much harder,
    yea we were never going to use torsion due to the cost, 800ish was the quote vs 150 for leaf. it is a cool idea to have one that lowers and just drive in. maybe the next trailer we build in a few years will have that

Quote Originally Posted by nzspokes View Post
    You will need a BBQ and bar fridge also. Gas heater for going down south ways. Make the hammock a double in case you score while your away.
    already done bro.. bbq and ice box, it'll do. The mrs do a good job of catering too (you missed out last race day kickaha.. all the pies and sammys and coke in the world)

*stepped axle* Good idea, that way you can ride it in
    will ask phil about it, he's gonna make the axle.. can you do this with any old leaf springs and hubs/stubs?

*bbq/fridge* Better idea than an onboard fuel tank and more useful, Phil can stock it up for when he hits the deck
    lol.. we will def be stocked up with food n drink no worries. still space for a fuel supply. can also use it to top car up when on the road if no station in the whop whops.. happens in the south island.. or even stranded bikers on the side of the road. some fella n a ute filled me up in the middle of no where.

Quote Originally Posted by speights_bud View Post
    Are you building a dual axle system? I'd say go dual if you can with the kind of weight you are talking about if you can afford to do so, and definitely braked. What are you using as a tow vehicle? most vehicles are only rated 500-750kg's un-braked. I think you might find you are a lot heavier than you think once the whole things enclosed etc..
    Na single axle actually, springs etc rated for 1500kg. Being towed behind either a hilux diesel turbo, not sure on its load rating but we have towed a car transporter with a subaru legacy wagon on it no worries at all. or an Audi A4T S-Line.. which is rated to 1200kg braked trailer, unbraked was about what you said, 800/900kg since trailer will not be braked. Will do some brake tests and see how the whole thing feels before we start using it on the open road. I have someone with a fair bit of trailer building helping out, has a bit of experience so he shouldn't lead me too astray. All the points made are valid and are being taken into consideration for sure. Will measure weight of chassis/flat deck once finished and reg/wof. Will then look at enclosure.

thanks for all your points, food for thought. Your trailer looks nice - will look at the solar panel and lighting options. it all sounds very good

Quote Originally Posted by jellywrestler View Post
    what happens at tracks where you 're required to leave your trailer in a trailer park?
    also what happens when you're low on motion lotion and someones just nipping into town and you want a bit of gas, do they have to take the whole trailer.

ever heard of a pump up thing called a lilo? or an airbed?
    I would think in that situation you would park the trailer in the trailer park wouldn't you? Or what would you do..
    Haha - who is going to nip into town with my car and trailer? lol no one thats who.. take your own damn car.
    I have a blonde mrs prob same thing as an airhead.. oh sh*t sorry you said airbed, no.. what are those?

Thread Information