Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Race trailer build?

Bike
    a shiny new(ish) one
    you didnt hear it from me.

go to Vulcan steel in Dunedin, and ask what damaged sheets they have of 1.6mm or so, they sell it cheaply, often they have only a slight bend of kink on a corner which you can cut around, or bash flat with a hammer. steel deck in an enclosed trailer might have some benefits too.

Ive had sheets for $50 or so from them.

but shhh its a secret!

Bike
    Windle, MoBuilt, Fireblade, RS250, FZR4
    Quote Originally Posted by tigertim20 View Post
    you didnt hear it from me.

go to Vulcan steel in Dunedin,

but shhh its a secret!
    cheers!

10 char

Bike
    a shiny new(ish) one
    also, if they dont have any, ask at the other metal chaps.

Bike
    KTM 250exc
    In an attempt to avoid hi-jacking your thread, started my own Re: A-frame RaceVan/Trailer thing...

http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/sh...A-Frame-towing

Bike
    1993 Yamaha FJ 1200
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Fast Eddie View Post
    cheers!

10 char
    With a steel skin on the outside and wooden lined inner ... with vents at the top and top of the sides (if you can understand that) ... it will be cooler inside in the summer heat. A white roof helps in this respect too ...
    When life throws you a curve ... Lean into it ...

Bike
    1993 Yamaha FJ 1200
    Blog Entries
    cheers!

10 char
    Joinery shops (and the like) often have cover sheets on pallets of wood sheeting they buy. They seldom use them so either sell them cheap or give them away. ASK around ... it wont be treated stuff though ...

Bike
    Quote Originally Posted by FJRider View Post
    With a steel skin on the outside and wooden lined inner ... with vents at the top and top of the sides (if you can understand that) ... it will be cooler inside in the summer heat. A white roof helps in this respect too ...
    Joinery shops (and the like) often have cover sheets on pallets of wood sheeting they buy. They seldom use them so either sell them cheap or give them away. ASK around ... it wont be treated stuff though ...
    cheers man! yip we plan to give it some thin sheet steel skin on the outside, and yip can understand the vents. with the hammocks/beds tucked away i may be sleepin in it once or twice. Not sure if heat will be an issue in the south but maybe on the north island

will ask around for cover sheets, should be a good knock off the price - untreated won't matter if we layer on a bit of primer/sealer would it? got plenty of odd pales of house paint primers and sealers lying around the house haha.

Bike
    1993 Yamaha FJ 1200
    Blog Entries
    Not sure if heat will be an issue in the south but maybe on the north island

will ask around for cover sheets, should be a good knock off the price - untreated won't matter if we layer on a bit of primer/sealer would it? got plenty of odd pales of house paint primers and sealers lying around the house haha.
    The heat is an issue in the summer ... sometimes it gets into double figures.

It may pay to buy some (2nd hand) closed cell matting for insulation winter/summer.

Bike
    a red heap
    ... How thick? I was going for the 20mm thick zone but maybe overkill?...
    I would halve that thickness.

Unless you are 500kg and walk around in high heels?

Bike
    BSA A10
    Quote Originally Posted by nodrog View Post
    I didn't realise you two had met
    "If you can make black marks on a straight from the time you turn out of a corner until the braking point of the next turn, then you have enough power."

Quote Originally Posted by scracha View Post
    Even BP would shy away from cleaning up a sidecar oil spill.
    Quote Originally Posted by Warren Zevon
    Send Lawyers, guns and money, the shit has hit the fan

Bike
    Quote Originally Posted by nodrog View Post
    I would halve that thickness.

nup no where near 500kg on these heels, and good, the less thickness the less cost for me. Will still follow up the cover sheet idea though probably cheapest of all.

The heat is an issue in the summer ... sometimes it gets into double figures.

It may pay to buy some (2nd hand) closed cell matting for insulation winter/summer.
    lol double figures temps are rough, yea good idea about a bit of insulation - not too fussed tho not too soft haha

Quote Originally Posted by Kickaha View Post
    I didn't realise you two had met

Bike
    KTM 250exc
    got 12mm ply on the floor of mine, and the door/ramp. got it cheaper as it was untreated and painted the bottom and edges with that black tar seal paint used on housing block walls. Used cheap Exterior white for the inside. 12mm i've found is plenty thick enough and should be ok with the frame spacing you have in the pics.

The rear door of mine is heavy though, i lift it up and down manually but could be a bit much for some. I've got some garage door springs but never got around to fitting them.

Bike
    Quote Originally Posted by speights_bud View Post
    got 12mm ply on the floor of mine, and the door/ramp. got it cheaper as it was untreated and painted the bottom and edges with that black tar seal paint used on housing block walls. Used cheap Exterior white for the inside. 12mm i've found is plenty thick enough and should be ok with the frame spacing you have in the pics.

The rear door of mine is heavy though, i lift it up and down manually but could be a bit much for some. I've got some garage door springs but never got around to fitting them.
    sounds good to me, 12mm is gonna almost halve the cost anyway if I buy new sheets, if i get cover sheets even better. So it sounds good to me!

yea we aren't sure about rear door yet.. I'm guessing we will make it strong and us it as ramp as well so will need some heavy springs or a pulley idea.

bla deal with it later. get the flat deck finished first and wof and reg'd. hoping it will tow good!

Bike
    BSA A10
    yea we aren't sure about rear door yet.. I'm guessing we will make it strong and us it as ramp as well so will need some heavy springs or a pulley idea.
    Check out how Alex has done his, rear door as a ramp is a good idea, less shit to carry, have people borrow and lose
    "If you can make black marks on a straight from the time you turn out of a corner until the braking point of the next turn, then you have enough power."

Quote Originally Posted by scracha View Post
    Even BP would shy away from cleaning up a sidecar oil spill.
    Quote Originally Posted by Warren Zevon
    Send Lawyers, guns and money, the shit has hit the fan

Bike
    Quote Originally Posted by Kickaha View Post
    Check out how Alex has done his, rear door as a ramp is a good idea, less shit to carry, have people borrow and lose
    too true. yip will have another look at his next weekend at the race meet. think he just has a frame with sheet metal riveted to it and the door is a sturdy frame with a couple of garage springs to help take the weight.. doesnt work too well though, usually need 2 people to lift it up haha

Thread Information