Page 11 of 34 FirstFirst ... 91011121321 ... LastLast

Thread: Old multi-cylinder bikes of the 50s to later on. Japanese, British, Euro, etc

Bike
    Rattlecan blue
    Quote Originally Posted by dangerous View Post
    that there would have to be a twin crank engine, never seen it and thats farking cool... name who built a single crank transverse V4
    Honda st1100?
    Stock is best

Bike
    husaberg
    hey motor nerds... who can name the bike that has a oposed flat non transverse twin?
    What about the longitudinal flat opposed four then.
    I can think of two.

MV500 boxer

Konig 500
    Quote Originally Posted by Katman View Post
    I reminder distinctly .

Kinky is using a feather. Perverted is using the whole chicken

Bike
    MG V11 Nero Corsa LeMans
    Quote Originally Posted by Henk View Post
    Honda st1100?
    yeah true too... but I was thinking of the moto guzzi... and morbedellie did the transverse 8
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	guzzi_v7_quattro_cilindri.jpg 
Views:	29 
Size:	37.3 KB 
ID:	288147 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_8369 sm.jpg 
Views:	30 
Size:	118.3 KB 
ID:	288148
    cheers DD
    (Definately Dodgy)

Bike
    husaberg
    yeah true too... but I was thinking of the moto guzzi... and morbedellie did the transverse 8

Name:	guzzi_v7_quattro_cilindri.jpg 
Views:	29 
Size:	37.3 KB 
ID:	288147 Click image for larger version. 

Laverda did a 6 that was essentially a maserati engine,

the Guzzi V8 wasn't transverse though.
    But it was ubber cool.

What about this one

I reminder distinctly .

Bike
    KTM 950ADV,DR750,APRILIA TUONO ,YZ290F
    Blog Entries
    Crazy bikes

Bike
    M109R, GS1200ss, RMX450Z, ZX-12R
    Quote Originally Posted by husaberg View Post
    Laverda did a 6 that was essentially a maserati engine,
    Sig Botchi would love to have heard that

Bike
    and morbedellie did the transverse 8

And Galbusera did a 500cc 2stroke V8 about 50yrs earlier

How about this wee beaut: Imme R100 ..... Have a good look at the whole bike

Bike
    husaberg
    Quote Originally Posted by T.W.R View Post
    You can though.
    I reminder distinctly .

Bike
    You can though.
    Sig Botchi is the man who designed the V Sei and I've heard a Laverda barking in anger plenty of times

Bike
    husaberg
    Sig Botchi is the man who designed the V Sei and I've heard a Laverda barking in anger plenty of times

I assumed Botchi was a Maseriti guy......

The video i posted was a V6 lav you posted a pic of a three they sound a little different i would guess?

What to do then… It so happened that Massimo Laverda was introduced to Giulio Alfieri by Laverda engineer Luciano Zen. Alfieri was an automotive engineer who was best known for his work with Maserati, where he had been employed from 1953 to 1973. During his tenure under the trident he had deigned some of the most iconic Italian machines of the four-wheeled variety – he worked on the 250F Grand Prix racer, the famed “Birdcage”, and the 90-degree V6 shared between the Maserati Merak and Citroën SM. Alfieri proposed just such an engine for Laverda, a miniaturized 90-degree V6 with liquid cooling and dual overhead cam heads. There was also talk of the possibility of developing a V4 or V-twin with the same architecture. Even in the 1970s the writing was on the wall for air-cooled two-valve engines, with increasingly stringent emissions laws looming on the horizon. Laverda needed to start working on more modern liquid-cooled architecture that would allow them to move forward. They would begin by building a racing V6, with the intention of further developing and refining the platform to eventually release a detuned street version. Massimo was quite keen on the idea and work began in 1975, with Alfieri and designer Luciano Zen devoting one day a week to working on the new engine.

According to Alfieri’s plan they would begin by building a 1000cc V6 aimed at the sport touring market, with the possibility of a series of modular engines based off the same architecture. The engine is mounted longitudinally, with the gearbox bolted at the rear driving a shaft to the wheel. Viewed on its own, it looks like a tiny automotive powertrain lifted out of a rear-drive car
    The V6 was developed by Laverda during the directorship of Massimo Laverda in 1977. Designed by ex-Maserati engineer Giulio Alfieri, the Breganze's engine had many similarities to V6 engines he had built working for Citroen and Maserati.
    From memory the engine was even made at Maserati. its weakness allegedly was the drive shaft arrangement which was a bit ahead of its time and not quite developed.
    Don't know about the 180 cranks but i would say the 120's Howl rather than bark.....
    Happy to be wrong though...... i have a write up here re the v6 i will post it when i trip over it.
    I reminder distinctly .

Bike
    I assumed Botchi was a Maseriti guy

From memory the engine was even made at Maseteriti. its weakness allegedly was the drive shaft arrangement which was a bit ahead of its time and not quite developed.
    Don't know about the 180 cranks but i would say the 120's Howl rather than bark.....
    Happy to be wrong though...... i have a write up here re the v6 i will post it when i trip over it.
    In the attachment the first & second paragraphs of the second column mention Botchi and along with the bottom of the 1st column explain how the 120 Jota came to be.

And 180's Bark when set up makes a 120 decidedly civilised by comparison
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Laverda article.JPG 
Views:	19 
Size:	168.7 KB 
ID:	288154  

Bike
    husaberg
    In the attachment the first & second paragraphs of the second column mention Botchi and along with the bottom of the 1st column explain how the 120 Jota came to be.

And 180's Bark when set up makes a 120 decidedly civilised by comparison
    Er i win then. Cause he isn't mentioned anywhere else as the designer.
    But, if i was your guy, i would be pissed that my guy seems to take all the credit for his work
    I will say this though, who ever decided to rephase the crank to 120 degrees was a legend........
    Imagine the effort to replicate the 1960's Triumph trident and rocket three and nearly every other 3 cylinder ever made's crank-phasing....

The SM was sold with a small, lightweight engine in various forms, designed from scratch by Giulio Alfieri but capable of being assembled on existing V8 tooling. Because of this, the engine sported an unusual 90° angle between cylinder banks — a trait shared with the later PRV V6. It was a very compact and innovative design that allowed the use of just one pattern for the cylinder heads and an intermediate shaft extended out to drive the auxiliaries.

http://www.laverdacorse.it/bikes/1000v6.html
    The engine was designed by Giulio Alfieri who had recently resigned his post at Maserati and the bike’s 90 degree motor has many features in common with the advanced V6 engines found in the Citroen Maserati and the Maserati Merak. Alfieri was an acknowledged expert on combustion chamber design and the V6 test bed sessions yielded an effortless 160bhp. This was a very impressive figure in the 1970s for a naturally aspirated 1000cc four stroke and in fact the engine was subsequently detuned for testing purposes.
    Another flash in the pan racer with impact beyond its success, the Laverda remains the only longitudinal V6 ever purpose built for a two-wheeler. Designed by former Maserati engineer, Giulio Alfieri, for endurance racing, the 996-cc V6's only official outing was the 1978 Bol d'Or 24 Hour event where it hit an astounding 283 km/h (30 km/h faster than the best works Honda RCB1000 racers) before retiring with a broken U-joint. Rule changes in 1979, limited racing machines to four cylinders, ending its career. Former Laverda owner, Piero Laverda, still occasionally takes the V6 for a spin at historic racing events.
    Chris,
    An interesting choice of engine designed of course by Ing Giulio Alfieri who , by strange happenstance , also designed the Laverda V6! Did you know that or is it just a weird coincidence? He fell out with Citroen who had recently taken over Maserati and whilst on gardening leave was drafted in by his old chum Massimo Laverda to work on the V6 project.
    Bob
    http://books.google.co.nz/books?id=C...averda&f=false
    "The leader of the [Laverda V6] design team, working in concert with long-time Laverda designer Luciano Zen and Massimo Laverda, himself no mean engineer, was one of the most respected names in automotive engineering, Ing Giulio Alfieri. Alfieri had worked for both Ferrari and Maserati in the past, designing the whole post-war series of Maserati racing and sports cars before the company was bought by Alessandro de Tomaso, with whom he found it impossible to get on.

"The result was that Alfieri left the firm his name had become synonymous with, and for a handful of years worked as a freelance engineering consultant before taking up his present position as managing director of the Lamborghini car company.

"I consider him [Alfieri] to be one of the three leading experts in the world on high-performance internal combustion engines,' says Massimo.

-- Classic Racer, Autumn 1983
    I do still have the Classic racer article i could look for, if you are still not convinced

Name:	lav v61.JPG 
Views:	22 
Size:	317.4 KB 
ID:	288156   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	lav v6 2.JPG 
Views:	21 
Size:	384.4 KB 
ID:	288157   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	lav v6 3.JPG 
Views:	18 
Size:	359.3 KB 
ID:	288158   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	traffic_cone.jpg 
Views:	63 
Size:	19.0 KB 
ID:	288155  
    I reminder distinctly .

Bike
    Yamaha SRX400
    Husaberg - thanks for putting these articles up, they're very interesting.

Bike
    husaberg
    Quote Originally Posted by Bender View Post
    Husaberg - thanks for putting these articles up, they're very interesting.
    Thanks I often wonder if anyone does read them that's why i post the odd girl pic to see.
    I have plenty more including the Lav V3 which i had posted before i think on ESE. Its mentioned but no pic in the Walker Italian book.
    Intersting that i did fluff up the engine castings though as i forgot that Laverda's foundry cast the Masterati engines plus stuff for Guzzi etc

Name:	V6 Lav 1.jpg 
Views:	24 
Size:	634.8 KB 
ID:	288161   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	vV6 lav 2.jpg 
Views:	23 
Size:	780.6 KB 
ID:	288162   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	V6 lav 3.jpg 
Views:	24 
Size:	774.3 KB 
ID:	288163   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	V6 lav 4.jpg 
Views:	17 
Size:	760.7 KB 
ID:	288164  
    I reminder distinctly .

Bike
    husaberg
    Lav V3 plus the bike that could and should have saved them. Plus ADM if it fits.

* remember to click on the attachments a few times to make them easy and clear to read

Name:	Laverda 3 pg 1.jpg 
Views:	35 
Size:	756.3 KB 
ID:	288165   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Laverda 3 pg 2.jpg 
Views:	23 
Size:	460.4 KB 
ID:	288166   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Laverda 3 pg 3.jpg 
Views:	26 
Size:	762.3 KB 
ID:	288167   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Laverda 3 pg 4.jpg 
Size:	763.1 KB 
ID:	288168   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ADM 3 pg 1.jpg 
Views:	44 
Size:	769.3 KB 
ID:	288169   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ADM 3 pg 2.jpg 
Views:	35 
Size:	764.3 KB 
ID:	288170  
    I reminder distinctly .

Thread Information