Thread: Triumph Explorer 1200

Bike
    2009 Yamaha XJ6S

Announce Triumph Explorer 1200

http://www.stuff.co.nz/motoring/bike...-German-accent

WRITEUP BELOW IS COPIED & PASTED FROM ARTICLE!!

It's official. Triumph copies BMW. The Hinckley firm's product planning manager Simon Warburton said as much at the international launch of the new 1200cc shaft-drive Explorer adventure tourer when he made the statement: "We looked at the [BMW R1200] GS and what we could do better".

Such honesty is refreshing at the debut of a new motorcycle, where the PR flacks are usually keen to keep the focus of the event entirely on the brand doing the chest-beating.

Warburton's acknowledgment that the R1200GS inspired the new Explorer is tantamount to Sir Cliff Richard finally ending all the speculation about his sexual orientation. There are things that we already know, but it's nice to have official confirmation.

Warburton definitely said the right thing, because any denial that the GS had no influence on the gestation of the new Explorer would have placed him on shakier ground than Cathedral Square.

For the Explorer oozes BMWness from just about every pore, and the imitation would have been almost total had Triumph chosen the Bavarian bike's funny single-wishbone front suspension and quaint air- cooled horizontally-opposed "boxer" twin-cylinder engine.

Instead, the Hinckley engineers selected arguably better options - conventional telescopic forks from KYB (formerly Kayaba) and a new 1215cc liquid-cooled inline triple that kicks the boxer into touch in terms of peak horsepower. Better engine performance and increased front-tyre feedback are desirable upgrades that every former GS owner will enjoy when they trade their bike for an Explorer, but will these changelings begin to pine for that elusive commodity that their former ride has in spades - character?

While it's easy to admire the competence and comfort of Triumph's new big-block adventure tourer, I found it a harder bike than most of the breed to engage with. Perhaps some of that personal indifference is caused by my continuing infatuation with the smaller, lighter, friskier, more versatile Tiger 800 X/C, which would be my weapon of choice from the expanding adventure bike catalogue from Hinckley.

To spend more on a heavier, less wieldy and more cumbersome-to-ride model is something I'd only contemplate if planning to do a lot of two-up touring. For the 1200 is better built for the cartage of larger burdens, and this represents its sole advantage over the more off-road- ready Tiger 800 X/C to me.

For some bike tourers, however, only a shaft-drive motorcycle will do, and with that method of power delivery comes extra durability and sealed-in immunity to the wearing effects of dust, sand and ice grit. Triumph says the driveline engineering of their first shaft-drive motorcycle is some of the most robust in the marketplace, and the wearable components of the system are expected to last far longer than those of a R1200GS.
    Ad Feedback

However, the downsides to a shaft are the dramatic increase in unsprung weight that it adds to the rear of a bike and the amount of power it saps during transfer to the rear wheel. Most shaft- equipped bikes are therefore duller to ride than chain-driven alternatives, as any back-to-back ride of the Explorer 1200 and Tiger 800 X/C will confirm.

Finally, while this new 135-brake horsepower engine is hard to fault, it's equally hard to applaud. There is absolutely nothing wrong with any aspect of its performance, and it generates power in a highly refined and progressive fashion as the needle of the analogue tachometer sweeps from idle speed to 10,000rpm redline, the delivery perfect for any bike intended for touring applications, including the coming Trophy 1200 model. However, with this jet turbine-like potency comes a similar blandness, which isn't helped by the whining sound effects at idle, nor the feeling of remoteness promoted by the cableless ride-by- wire electronic throttle.

The latter is a critical component in the Explorer's traction control system, which automatically shuts the throttle butterflies when there is a 10 per cent variation in front and rear wheel speeds at its most intrusive setting. Bumping the trigger point up to a 25 per cent variation in wheel speeds adds more adventure to the Explorer, and the access to the two settings is easier than that of a TC-equipped GS.

The latter is one of many advantages that the $26,990 Explorer lauds over the bike that inspired it and others include more accurate steering, more robust driveline engineering, and a level of affordability that allows you shop-till-you-drop through the Triumph's list of accessories and still spend less than the $33,481 asked for a fully-equipped R1200GS. I just wish the Explorer had the same emotive appeal as the Bavarian wunderbike that provided the template for its development.

AT A GLANCE

Engine: 1215cc liquid-cooled dohc 12-valve inline triple, stoked by electronic fuel injection to develop 101kW (135bhp) at 9500rpm and 121Nm at 6400rpm

Transmission: Six-speed sequential gearbox, shaft final drive

Frame: Steel-tube trellis frame and single-sided rear swingarm; 46mm KYB inverted front forks with 190mm of travel, Fully adjustable KYB rear monoshock with 194mm of travel.

Price: $26,990 (as tested: $30+K)

Hot: Comes with a full inventory of electronic riding aids for a price pegged $2000 below that of a base BMW R1200GS; plenty of optional accessories including his and hers heated seats.

Not: Triumph's latest motor feels and sounds more like a jet turbine than an internal combustion engine; heavily- engineered shaft adds unsprung weight to rear wheel.
    GET ON
    SIT DOWN
    SHUT UP
    HANG ON

Bike
    Gone
    Hi Jen,
    Sensible write up. Confirms what was becoming apparent. Feel vindicated in my choice of ride which i do intend (and have) taken some distance from asphalt already. For a gentleman of modest abilities it does me very well. I'll leave the big bore hardcore riding to the KTM owners.
    "Age and treachery will triumph over youth and skill"

Bike
    CB919, 1090R, R1200GSA
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by MyGSXF View Post
    ...and the access to the two settings is easier than that of a TC-equipped GS.
    I disgreed with a couple of things, but especially this. Wouldn't mind an owner of the Explorer saying how it's ASC/TC is accessed, but the GS is a 2-sec push on a single button to cycle between On-Sport-Off. I can't imagine it getting much easier than that? Opinion is one thing, but getting facts wrong

I wouldn't say Telelever is a bad thing either. Sure, bit more remote, but the bike never dives which keeps it more balanced which improves handling and grip, especially in the rear end. Valuable things to have, but like everything, you have to know how to use it...
    Quote Originally Posted by Jane Omorogbe from UK MSN on the KTM990SM
    It's barking mad and if it doesn't turn you into a complete loon within half an hour of cocking a leg over the lofty 875mm seat height, I'll eat my Arai.

Bike
    None
    Blog Entries
    I agree with the "Not" comment. There is nothing more repulsive than the Broken Beaufighter whistle that a modern large bore Triumph makes when cruising past at 50km/hr. I'd rather put up with a V&H piped big block HD at twice the dB rating. It's just not a nice noise.

Weird thing is, the 1050 didn't used to sound like that when the Sprint and Tiger came out. Has Triumph put playing cards on the forks or something?
    If a man is alone in the woods and there isn't a woke Hollywood around to call him racist, is he still white?

Bike
    Japanese Zero, Yer mama
    Paul Owen at it again
    I've spent my money on bikes, booze and babes. The rest I've wasted....

Bike
    2009 TBird Big Bore 1700
    I've done around 200kms on the shop demo Explorer, including some 2 up & damp/drizzle riding, but did no off road stuff. Bike only had 150 ks or so on the clock when I picked it up.
    I didn't fiddle with anyof the settings, so ride height/suspension etc was all as shop had set up.
    A tall ride (I'm 5'10), but was not uncomfortably so. Seems to have plenty of power & torque, despite bike being obviously new & tight.
    Seating was very good for the standard seating, even the missus didn't complain about the pillion seat (although touring she might).
    long story short, I loved it. Even though I ride a cruiser, my background was enduro bikes when I was younger, so it was easy for me to slot into a more upright riding position. Thoughts of trading in, hmmmmm!
    As for copying the Germans, I have never ridden a BMW so can't comment on that side of things, but it happen's all the time anyway. It still has to look like an adventure bike. No different when the Japs first started making V-twin cruisers, or how most mx bikes look the same, so no big deal there.
    Shaken, not stirred in the shakey city!

Bike
    2015, Ducati Streetfighter
    Blog Entries
    The copy statement is irrelevant.

Irrelevant in that if you are spending millions developing a bike for a specific market you'd logically get an example of the current leader and try to do better or bring out something very good at a much lower price. Spending $ appears to be a bit irrelevant in this segment otherwise everyone whould be riding those Suzuki things.

Do not sports nikes all look like each other?

Do not cruisers all look like Harleys?

The nakeds are one of the few segments that occasionally offer something different to the norm styling wise.

Some areas of motorcycling (sports and cruisers are almost becoming boring. They all preform very well but are becoming cookie cutter copies.

Bike
    N/A
    took the Explorer out for a test today...having tested teh BMW 1200GS last week. They both have their merits...but I have now ordered an Explorer - it handles well, feels well planted on the road and inspires confidence. from 0-100 it's performance is not far my previous 955i Daytona. The gizmos are easy to operate (and cruise control? Awesome!) It's my first departure from Sports Bikes. The Explorer is absolutely incredible....I challenge anyone to test it and not love it - and it's British!!

Thread Information