Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: *sigh* ok, here goes...

Bike
    2007 Kawasaki ZZR 250

*sigh* ok, here goes...

I swapped a car for a Honda VTZ250 knowing that the bike didn't go <----2nd mistake the first was Honda for a Honda

getting it home I tried firing it up,got a couple of little pops out the pipe. Knowing about cars,I checked the plugs, gettin good spark off the rear one,nothing off the front.

I was now getting excited , it started to rain so I heaved the beast on to the veranda,now I'm not getting any spark on either leads.

Can someone explain to my dumb ass how the electrical system works I.E..power goes battery..little thing by battery that goes click when pushing the starter lol and then to?? I'm guessing coils as they look like the ones on EA Falcon

cheers Noobie Kezza

Bike
    Exxon Valdez
    This is gonna be a fun thread.

The clicky thing is called a solonoid. It powers the starter motor.

It's a Honda, so there is a very good chance that the kill switch is off. That's by the throttle.

Bike
    RC36, RC31, KR-E, CR125
    Good spark on the rear, nothing on the front, I'd start by checking the front coil resistances against those for the rear. I had an VT250F2, and have worked on FGs also, not sure if they changed the engine by much between those models and the VTZ

I have a feeling they use separate pickups to trigger the spark to each cylinder, so that could also be a problem; as well as general wiring issues.

The 'clicker' thing (solenoid) will be near the coils, and will generally have the main fuse on it which passes power to the coils, but as drew says, it turns the starter motor on.
    "A shark on whiskey is mighty risky, but a shark on beer is a beer engineer" - Tad Ghostal

Bike
    1993 Yamaha FJ 1200
    Blog Entries
    For the clicking to start ... I'm guessing the battery is either flat or buggered, either jump start with good leads (not the $5 warehouse variety) or get the battery charged up.

And try again.
    When life throws you a curve ... Lean into it ...

Bike
    Dougcati, Geoff and Suzi
    Quote Originally Posted by Drew View Post

It's a Honda, so there is a very good chance that the kill switch is off. That's by the throttle.
    Agreed.

Check the connections between battery and earth
    Check the connections on the solenoid
    Check the kill switch works
    Check lead and coil resistance
    If you're getting spark, the engine's obviously turning over and it's not the rotor/pick up on the crank.
    A VTZ is rather old now, so I'd swap the coils around and see if you get spark on the front. I wouldn't be surprised it it has munted coils.

Check the wiring to the CDI/Igniter unit is all secure and that the unit itself looks intact (cracks, squahed or bulging)
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul in NZ View Post
    Ha...Thats true but life is full horrible choices sometimes Merv. Then sometimes just plain stuff happens... and then some more stuff happens.....

Alloy, stainless and Ti polishing.
    Bling your bike out!
    PM me

Bike
    2007 Kawasaki ZZR 250
    Quote Originally Posted by Drew View Post

oh dear...how did I miss that

Thanks Drew

Got spark to both plugs now,but still wont start...oh well,tomorrow is another day

Bike
    2007 Kawasaki ZZR 250
    Quote Originally Posted by FJRider View Post
    For the clicking to start ... I'm guessing the battery is either flat or buggered, either jump start with good leads (not the $5 warehouse variety) or get the battery charged up.

And try again.

it's just a quick click when first pushing the start button

Bike
    2007 Kawasaki ZZR 250
    Quote Originally Posted by ducatilover View Post
    Agreed.

Check the connections between battery and earth
    Check the connections on the solenoid
    Check the kill switch works
    Check lead and coil resistance
    If you're getting spark, the engine's obviously turning over and it's not the rotor/pick up on the crank.
    A VTZ is rather old now, so I'd swap the coils around and see if you get spark on the front. I wouldn't be surprised it it has munted coils.

Check the wiring to the CDI/Igniter unit is all secure and that the unit itself looks intact (cracks, squahed or bulging)
    I swapped the leads around,got spark at both plugs now but the front seems to have less spark,is this the norm or be best to get a new lead?

Bike
    Valkyrie 1500 ,HD softail, BMW r1150r
    spark + fuel = combustion

Start ya bastard (ether) may help.....?
    Opinions are like arseholes: Everybody has got one, but that doesn't mean you got to air it in public all the time....

Bike
    Dougcati, Geoff and Suzi
    Quote Originally Posted by anebv8 View Post
    I swapped the leads around,got spark at both plugs now but the front seems to have less spark,is this the norm or be best to get a new lead?
    If it's getting spark at both ends, turn the fuel tap on and see if it's flowing well (you may need to suck on the small diameter vacuum line to get it to flow)
    Also make sure that vacuum line is hooked up to one of the intake rubbers, usually on the front cylinder

I'd replace the leads and plugs anyway
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul in NZ View Post
    Ha...Thats true but life is full horrible choices sometimes Merv. Then sometimes just plain stuff happens... and then some more stuff happens.....

Alloy, stainless and Ti polishing.
    Bling your bike out!
    PM me

Bike
    1993 Yamaha FJ 1200
    Blog Entries
    it's just a quick click when first pushing the start button
    Battery is dead (or dead flat) or solinoid switch is buggered (not entirely unknown). Charge/test it and try again.
    It being an older bike ... down a bit in compression, it probably needs to be turned over pretty quickly to start.
    It may be able to be push started (Or ... hill start) easily as the plugs are taking all the available power on starting. (No drain in power from the starter motor) Find a fit mate to help push (or a big hill)

And ... try only one fix at a time. You then have a better idea if the fix is working ... or not.

If the bike has been sitting and not going for a while ... it could be the petrol thats FLAT ... Give it fresh stuff if you haven't already.
    When life throws you a curve ... Lean into it ...

Bike
    2007 Kawasaki ZZR 250
    If it's getting spark at both ends, turn the fuel tap on and see if it's flowing well (you may need to suck on the small diameter vacuum line to get it to flow)
    Also make sure that vacuum line is hooked up to one of the intake rubbers, usually on the front cylinder

strong sell of petrol so I think I just flooded it lol would be good to see the flames come out the pipe

Bike
    2007 Kawasaki ZZR 250

I did see a small line hanging around by the front lead..mmmm...DAMN YOU DARKNESS ...poor torch wont take much more lol

Bike
    2007 Kawasaki ZZR 250
    Quote Originally Posted by FJRider View Post
    Battery is dead (or dead flat) or solinoid switch is buggered (not entirely unknown). Charge/test it and try again.
    It being an older bike ... down a bit in compression, it probably needs to be turned over pretty quickly to start.
    It may be able to be push started (Or ... hill start) easily as the plugs are taking all the available power on starting. (No drain in power from the starter motor) Find a fit mate to help push (or a big hill)

And ... try only one fix at a time. You then have a better idea if the fix is working ... or not.

If the bike has been sitting and not going for a while ... it could be the petrol thats FLAT ... Give it fresh stuff if you haven't already.

it has been sitting around 2 months...first thing I done was put fresh gold,I mean petrol into it

Bike
    RC36, RC31, KR-E, CR125
    strong sell of petrol so I think I just flooded it lol would be good to see the flames come out the pipe
    Be wary of flooding it for too long, the petrol will break down the oil barrier on the rings, and you'll wear them a lot quicker.
    "A shark on whiskey is mighty risky, but a shark on beer is a beer engineer" - Tad Ghostal

Thread Information