Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: AHO - automatic headlamp on?

Bike
    R100GSPD
    i prolly showing my age,but i have had 12 bikes 7 of em brand new new my 1989 current bike is the newest i have owned,yet oldest i have owned.(Get it?)NONE have has auto on headlights

Bike
    Honda Pan European ST1100
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Jantar View Post
    I was one of the people who encouraged motorcyclists to ride with their headlights on back in the mid 1970s. I raised the issue through 3 different motorcycle clubs, but I pushed it as being a matter of encouragement and education rather than compulsion. Back then if your saw headlight/s approaching then they really stood out and you could imediately identify a motorcycle. Having your headlights on during daylight made a point of difference and hence helped you to be seen.

Now that many cars are driving with their headlights on, that point of difference has gone and any gain in safety for the motorcyclist has gone with it. Instead we have a law which forces us to have headlights on and that makes us just blend in with the cars that are doing the same.
    The point advocates of headlights on at all times for cars either miss or ignore.
    It used to be that headlights on in a car during daylight was for emergencies and other vehicles would give you way; ie pull over and let you pass or other considerations. This gets lost if H/lights on becomes a norm.

The problem for bikes as has been noted is the tail light being on takes away the effectiveness of the stop light.
    My solution on my bike is to have high viz LED running lights on and headlight off. Get a bit of binoccular effect to help with distance estimation and stands out from crowd. Are very bright and only draw 4 watts. Highly recommended mod for old bikes and design recommendation for new ones. Strip LEDs like on Volvos and BMWs look cool and are winners from many angles.
    Atheism and Religion are but two sides of the same coin.
    One prefers to use its head, while the other relies on tales.

Bike
    2004 Ducati Monster
    Having seen a few old school bikes coming from the other direction without lights on, I reckon that they are hard to see until they are almost next to me especially if dark bike and rider in black. Yep, is the possibility of my failing eye sight but I am a baby boomer so there is plenty of us on the road.
    Reckon I see a head light way before I can make out the bike.

Try it for yourself and see what you think. Ride towards a mate with light covered and uncovered. In a car park with dark asphalt which blends with rider and bike, not a pale concrete driveway.

Maybe the whole light on thing isn't going to make 10% difference in being noticed by cagers, but if it saves one life, especially if it is yours, then it is worth it!

Bike
    Royal Enfield 650 & a V8 or two..
    In reality the claim by various people that they don't want to be made to ride with their lights on "because it's unsafe" or "nobody will see me anyway" or "it will flatten my battery" is spurious, the REAL reason is because they are being told they HAVE to ride with their lights on. True.
    Winding up drongos, foil hat wearers and over sensitive KBers for over 14,000 posts...........
    " Life is not a rehearsal, it's as happy or miserable as you want to make it"

Bike
    '76 CB550 Super Sport
    I'm a bit out of touch. Are there any bikes with beepers the beep when you get off your saddle as a warning that you've left your lights on or and left the keys in the ignition yet?

Scummy around town some bikes just don't the charging rate of more modern stuff. It's the reason bikes prior to a certain date are deemed exempt. Even the gummerment figured that one out. Of course generally sensible folk may fit better charging systems or the likes of LEDs.

What's the official line for the popo do when they pull over a rider who is legally riding in such a manner -pass them a pamphet?

Bike
    KTM 890 Adventure
    Quote Originally Posted by scumdog View Post
    the REAL reason is because they are being told they HAVE to ride with their lights on. True.
    Yup.

That, and the small matter that the reasoning behind the law is totally unsound.
    Go soothingly on the grease mud, as there lurks the skid demon

Bike
    Quote Originally Posted by Ocean1 View Post
    Yup.

That, and the small matter that the reasoning behind the law is totally unsound.
    Oh, tell me more - does it actually make motorbikes HARDER to see???
    Winding up drongos, foil hat wearers and over sensitive KBers for over 14,000 posts...........

Bike
    KTM 890 Adventure
    Oh, tell me more - does it actually make motorbikes HARDER to see???
    Going by the differences in typical accident stat's before and after it make no difference at all here, same as every other state that's made the change.

Bike
    Going by the differences in typical accident stat's before and after it make no difference at all here, same as every other state that's made the change.
    Each to their own but I have had lights-on since way back - however I qualify that by saying since abot '96 I have two mini spot lights on my bike, each side of the headlight.

I only use them during daylight as they would be extremely dazzling to oncoming motorists at night.

I have had quite few people say they noticed those lights before they saw the bike, on that basis a headlight on must give SOME increase in visibility, especially as a motorbike headlight headinging towards you seems to 'jiggle' a lot thereby drawing attention to it.
    In a very busy built up area there may be a different story but I'm speaking from my experience down here.

At the end of the day I trust no one to notice those lights, if they do it's a plus, I don't rely on them to make me seen.

Bike
    KTM 890 Adventure
    Each to their own but I have had lights-on since way back - however I qualify that by saying since abot '96 I have two mini spot lights on my bike, each side of the headlight.

I only use them during daylight as they would be extremely dazzling to oncoming motorists at night.

I have had quite few people say they noticed those lights before they saw the bike, on that basis a headlight on must give SOME increase in visibility, especially as a motorbike headlight headinging towards you seems to 'jiggle' a lot thereby drawing attention to it.
    In a very busy built up area there may be a different story but I'm speaking from my experience down here.

At the end of the day I trust no one to notice those lights, if they do it's a plus, I don't rely on them to make me seen.
    What you've got there has some basis in credible science. So it shouldn’t come as any surprise that it's probably not actually legal.

Single fwd facing lights don't give an onlooker any idea how fast you’re approaching, as a “conspicuity” device they simply don’t work. What makes people looking in your direction look harder is any horizontally features rapidly getting further apart. I’m looking at these: http://www.motozone.co.nz/products/a...andguards.aspx, with the LED strip, (also probably not strictly legal).

If I can figure out a gadget to make 'em bling from the inside towards the outside it'd have an even better effect.

As for trust? I try not to put myself in a position where anyone can tag me, accidentally or otherwise. But, y'know we all have bad days, so anything that helps us throught them...

Bike
    FransAlp 700
    They are easier to see.

But it doesn't really make a difference.

Bike
    Quote Originally Posted by NordieBoy View Post
    They are easier to see.

But it doesn't really make a difference.
    What he said, it's just to try and be seen.

Speed is irrelevant.

Bike
    89 GS500, 89 ZXR400, 93 RGV250, 14 MT07
    My 91 Suzuki RGV250 has a headlight switch while my 93 RGV they are wired on.

I feel like having my lights on increases my visibility especially during winter when shadows are longer and sun strike can be quite bad.

Bike
    A blue one
    my 97 trx850 is AHO so is the 08 R1.

my ute i have AHO LED running lights as im commerical in and out of a lot of places plus having the orange flashers on the roof
    for various site's ( fletchers fulton hogan etc )

my haulage truck ( super kenworth ) i have running lights and also a rack of lightforce over the cab that certainly lights
    up the road at night.. ( been told its light watching a 747 land )

I have down the side of the low loader trailer led's as ive found most people day and night look at the truck but not what
    you are towing ( roundabouts and interchanges are classic ) even if you have a 50 tonne digger and chase car's people still
    seem to run up the ass of the lowboy or hit it in the side...

Bike
    Honda Pan European ST1100
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by carburator View Post
    ... i have running lights and also a rack of lightforce over the cab that certainly lights
    up the road at night..

..... even if you have a 50 tonne digger and chase car's people still
    seem to run up the ass of the lowboy or hit it in the side...
    Those Lightforce lamps are fantastic.

OMG. I guess it's because people look for shapes and sizes. The shape and size of a car.
    Bikes and large vehicles are outside the size/shape parameters they are looking for and are therefore not 'seen'.
    It's like trout fishing. Trout lock on to a particular food and fishing success comes from emulating the size and shape of that food.
    Too big or too small and the flies are ignored.
    Atheism and Religion are but two sides of the same coin.
    One prefers to use its head, while the other relies on tales.

Thread Information