Page 58 of 59 FirstFirst ... 84856575859 LastLast

Thread: Cats

Bike
    2001 zx9
    Equally off topic... like you say rats are tricky - i had one that was near enough to a flatmate for months on end, a big f..ker with plenty of arrogance too. traps didn't work on him and i ended up having the 22 with me both upstairs in the living area or downstairs in the workshop, thinking it would be easier to fix a single hole than put up with his damage (2 in the morning its chew chew in the wall then water is pouring out from behind the gib . and the list goes on). so one evening i spotted him on the window ledge downstairs by the lathe - ok i think, if i have to get the window as well... last second he moved along a bit and snuck in to the back of the fridge (you could see him behind the condensor) - weighing up further sleep deprivation or a new fridge i decided its the rat at (almost) any cost. He was onto me though because everytime i was about to shoot him he'd wriggle in a bit more . next move was heaps of barricading with ply so the only way out was past the 22. i got the fire extinguisher handy then lit some news paper and slid it under the fridge and waited - sure enough he poked his nose out but saw me and went back into the workings... so we all know what the next stage is/was. next morning was spent cleaning Dry Powder off the lathe and amazingly on the window ledge were his powdery prints, he never came back though.

Bike
    Obsolete ones.
    Nutella......
    Manopausal.

Bike
    18 Triumph Tiger 1050 Sport

Name:	Unicon.JPG 
Views:	16 
Size:	21.5 KB 
ID:	347276  

Bike
    2001 zx9
    So its rat season again and they are back in droves... due to past experiences i've developed a zero tolerance approach this winter, but there are consequences to that... literally a dozen traps set (some real expensive never fail types ) with every possible bait and so far its one caught out of about 30 misfires and half a dozen skirmishes in the workshop. sleep deprivation adds to the intensity of the battles too. so late last night Jenny (beardie workshop mate) was circling the lathe and it didn't take long to work out it was hiding amongst the headstock drive...out with a few spanners and a couple of panels off and there it is wedged up out of reach (jenny doing backflips and egging me on) so i reached in and grabbed its tail and pulled and it quickly went to 4wd low ratio and pulled too - none of us gave in and eventually a shortened rat ran off... so washed up and off to bed muttering about effin rats. 4am and there's more commotion downstairs which ended with the rat hiding in the engine bay of the truck (the stakes move up a level or two now) lifted the bonnet and there it is - so what do you do ? you grab the f...er , which i did and of course it sunk its dirty teeth into me down to the thumb bone. i briefly let it go then thought F you and grabbed it again and passed it to jenny. so now theres only about 15 rats left but i spent the day in town getting cleaned/patched vaccinated and invoiced... any thoughts? poison is not an option re Jenny

Bike
    The Vixen - K8 GSXR600
    Whenever my cat catches a rat (or any other prey) she likes to bring it inside and then let it go so she can chase it around the place in the middle of the night...guess who has to catch the bloody thing and biff it out? Gee thanks pussycat!
    . “No pleasure is worth giving up for two more years in a rest home.” Kingsley Amis

Bike
    Exercycle
    I put poison down in areas our animals can't get to. I also tie the baits onto a wire so i can pull it out to see if it's still there.
    Under the house edges is a good spot.
    The dogs historically haven't touched poisoned rats. Don't know why - smell ?
    The baits make the rat dehydrated, you'll often find them by a water source.

Bike
    husaberg
    Quote Originally Posted by Grumph View Post
    I put poison down in areas our animals can't get to. I also tie the baits onto a wire so i can pull it out to see if it's still there.
    Under the house edges is a good spot.
    The dogs historically haven't touched poisoned rats. Don't know why - smell ?
    The baits make the rat dehydrated, you'll often find them by a water source.
    Some baits do others cause the blood not to clot.
    Cholecalciferol is supposed to have a low risk of secondary and causes increased thrist.
    Warfarin is also a low secondary poisoning risk
    You can also use a bait station.
    i would have thought the last issue you would have was not enough rodent eaters.
    Quote Originally Posted by Katman View Post
    I reminder distinctly .

Kinky is using a feather. Perverted is using the whole chicken

Bike
    The Vixen - K8 GSXR600
    Quote Originally Posted by husaberg View Post
    Some baits do others cause the blood not to clot.
    Cholecalciferol is supposed to have a low risk of secondary and causes increased thrist.
    Warfarin is also a low secondary poisoning risk
    You can also use a bait station.
    i would have thought the last issue you would have was not enough rodent eaters.

I use compost bins which are sealed from terrestrial animules but open to the ground. Some also have air holes in them - not too big but still holes. Despite only putting vegetable waste in the bins, the rats always turn up anyway. Their tracks are obvious so when I see 'em I drop in a few baits...or ten. There must be some big mothers of rats out there judging by the last corpse I found yesterday. Don't often find the dead but this was a doozy.
    . “No pleasure is worth giving up for two more years in a rest home.” Kingsley Amis

Bike
    2001 zx9
    I'll look into the "safe" poisons but having had a bad experience with secondary poisoning i have previously vowed never again... I guess i could stray into the spca and see if they've got any monster ginger tom-cats...

Bike
    Rocket 111 Touring (2010)
    Air rifle.

Bike
    husaberg
    Quote Originally Posted by Katman View Post
    I reminder distinctly .

Kinky is using a feather. Perverted is using the whole chicken

Bike
    18 Triumph Tiger 1050 Sport

Name:	Cat.jpg 
Views:	21 
Size:	58.3 KB 
ID:	349599  

Bike
    1982 Suzuki GS1100GK, 2008 KLR650
    Blog Entries
    lonely cat
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    it's not a bad thing till you throw a KLR into the mix.
    those cheap ass bitches can do anything with ductape.
    (PostalDave on ADVrider)

Bike
    Obsolete ones.
    First time I've seen this thread. In response to the ratting videos here's a pic of our new pup at 9 months. She is a real handful and lethal for rats. Crunch, shake, next.
    Much impressed I am!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Dingo.jpg 
Views:	20 
Size:	151.6 KB 
ID:	349601
    Manopausal.

Bike
    BSA A10
    This is Klaus, he was the neighbours cat but decided he liked living here better so he moved in, currently he spends his nights here and days smashing up another neighbours place when he's not hanging off the birdcage of a third neighbour trying to get to the contents

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Klaus.jpg 
Views:	36 
Size:	725.1 KB 
ID:	349656
    "If you can make black marks on a straight from the time you turn out of a corner until the braking point of the next turn, then you have enough power."

Quote Originally Posted by scracha View Post
    Even BP would shy away from cleaning up a sidecar oil spill.
    Quote Originally Posted by Warren Zevon
    Send Lawyers, guns and money, the shit has hit the fan

Thread Information