Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Pros and cons of bar-end mirrors?

Bike
    Japanese Zero, Yer mama

Pros and cons of bar-end mirrors?

Like the title says. I am looking at fitting set of these to my 900 Hornet. i already have the Renthal Ultra Low Road bars fitted and still have the stock mirrors. I like the look of some bar -end mirrors but wanted some input into which ones are good and which ones to avoid? Also what are the pros/cons of bar-end mirrors? My only worry is that I will knock them off somewhere because the bike will be that much wider.

Any usefull input appreciated.
    I've spent my money on bikes, booze and babes. The rest I've wasted....

Bike
    anything I can get my grubby wee paws on
    I've got one (not two) bar-end mirrors on my Ducati

I like it - rather than your elbows or shoulders, you can actually see those red and blue flashing lights behind you

I dont do much lane splitting so haven't noticed a width issue. It would only project another 100 - 150 mm

It does get knocked hauling the bike cover on and off, but its quickly and easily adjusted (even when riding)

Just my $0.02
    =mjc=

Bike
    Obsolete ones.
    I've got Mickey Mouse ears on the TDM. Excellent vision, elbow free, far better than the stock stalkies. They are just cheapo generics off trademe, attached with a clamp around the bar end, they can also be fitted with an expansion bolt in the bar but I would have lost my end weights. Never had a problem with knocking them even though I have wider than standard bars. Still going strong after 4 years.
    The mirrors are on a ball mount / clamp which was a tad too loose when I bought them, sudden acceleration into patches of dense air would fold the mirrors in, if you get my drift. Easily fixed with a thin strip of gaffa tape around the ball. They have not moved since, even crashing through pot holes on gravel roads.

Bike
    A
    Look! I'll whisper this to you, so the big kids don't beat you up behind the bike sheds.... You can fit bar end mirrors, but you'll still get the style police pointing out you're only riding a Honda...

Personally, have only ever ridden one bike with bar end mirrors, a 748 Duke, and it suited the bike. In the end, you like 'em, just fit 'em

Bike
    RATS & RICE
    Blog Entries
    I have CRG 3" folding bar-ends on the daytona they can be upto a couple 100 each but unlike the standard daytona mirrors,which is a once piece unit and 220+ ea to replace,With the CRG's you can buy ea conponent of the mirror seperatly , also they don't vibrate like the standard the mirrors do. and I can clearly see what is behind me without looking around elbows and pillon knees/luggage

if I ever sold the bike I would be keeping the mirrors

Bike
    mutton dressed up as lamb and a 73 XL250
    Nothing bad to be said about em really,you can see stuff in them so a vast improvent on OEM.Cheap set i bought years ago,as good as the high end ones.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P1000404 (Medium).JPG 
Views:	186 
Size:	104.9 KB 
ID:	268705  
    Be the person your dog thinks you are...

Bike
    Obsolete ones.
    Look a lot like moine.

Bike
    CB919, 1090R, R1200GSA
    Blog Entries
    I've got wide renthal bars on my Hornet (mx or something) so having bar end mirrors would make it even wider. No thanks.

The wide bars do mean the mirrors are further out than normal, so I get an excellent view behind in both mirrors. Stock ones work fine for me.

Also depends on where your arm is compared to the mirror, but both of my bikes have mirrors in the conventional position so I'm very used to the quick glance.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jane Omorogbe from UK MSN on the KTM990SM
    It's barking mad and if it doesn't turn you into a complete loon within half an hour of cocking a leg over the lofty 875mm seat height, I'll eat my Arai.

Bike
    a fucking hornet
    ive fitted cheep ebay bar end mirrors to my hornet
    with ultra low renthal bars
    these ones have taken me a while to get set as they require a allen key to adjust
    but all in all i get a better view and they were cheap
    set and forget
    http://i642.photobucket.com/albums/u...91096639_n.jpg

plastic fabricator/welder here if you need a hand ! will work for beer/bourbon/booze

come ride the southern roads www.southernrider.co.nz

Bike
    RSV4RR, M109R, ZX10R
    Blog Entries
    I had bar end mirror on my bonny but I bumped it alot. Never mind the lack on the right hand side. I used to put stock on for warrent. Naughty
    I got tommahawks on the mt that are good and with the bar height on it have better than stock view.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	bonny shots 080.jpg 
Views:	78 
Size:	30.0 KB 
ID:	268711   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	MT01 my bike 003.jpg 
Views:	83 
Size:	880.4 KB 
ID:	268712  
    I have evolved as a KB member.Now nothing I say should be taken seriously.

Bike
    ES XTZ
    I like em mainly cause they cut down on that for-ever bastard wind noise , try to get the most convex not just ordinary 'flat' glass for much better vision (round ones).
    I have a Oberon oval

http://www.fastbikegear.co.nz/index....ort=20a&page=2

Bike
    BSA A10
    Best kind of mirror out there, I have seen people take them off though but that was because they didn't like "the look" I just bought a Halcyon 830 for the BSA
    http://classicpartsltd.com/classic-m...nd-mirror.html
    I also have one on the Ducati
    "If you can make black marks on a straight from the time you turn out of a corner until the braking point of the next turn, then you have enough power."

Quote Originally Posted by scracha View Post
    Even BP would shy away from cleaning up a sidecar oil spill.
    Quote Originally Posted by Warren Zevon
    Send Lawyers, guns and money, the shit has hit the fan

Bike
    mutton dressed up as lamb and a 73 XL250
    Quote Originally Posted by Kickaha View Post
    Best kind of mirror out there, I have seen people take them off though but that was because they didn't like "the look" I just bought a Halcyon 830 for the BSA
    http://classicpartsltd.com/classic-m...nd-mirror.html
    I also have one on the Ducati
    Very nice,like the little black one so much i am going to order 1.
    Be the person your dog thinks you are...

Bike
    BSA A10
    Quote Originally Posted by 98tls View Post
    Very nice,like the little black one so much i am going to order 1.
    I have one very similar to the black one on the Ducati, do you have a bike to put it on?
    "If you can make black marks on a straight from the time you turn out of a corner until the braking point of the next turn, then you have enough power."

Quote Originally Posted by scracha View Post
    Even BP would shy away from cleaning up a sidecar oil spill.
    Quote Originally Posted by Warren Zevon
    Send Lawyers, guns and money, the shit has hit the fan

Bike
    2015, Ducati Streetfighter
    Blog Entries
    I'm running bar-end mirrors on my Hornet 900 fitted with Ultra lows. The bar-end mirrors I am running are clamped to the bar (not inside it).

Pros - look bitchin! nice and clean.
    Very clear and a good view without elbow - in fact I have set them up to have a bit of elbow visible as it was just freaky without any!!!!!

Cons - the glass is slightly convex to give a much larger viewing picture than a flat mirror. This does indeed give a good viewing area, however it distorts the distance the objects behind you are. Basically when pulling out into traffic you have to check over your shoulder and not rely on the mirrors - good practise anyway.

Thread Information