Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: 1 October 2012 new era for motorcycling

Bike
    2005, Yamaha FZ1

1 October 2012 new era for motorcycling

Exciting times ahead!!!!
    1st October, sees the introduction of the new LAMS (Learner Approved Motorcycles) programme, www.nzta.govt.nz/LAMS , where learner and restricted license holders will have a much wider range of bikes to choose from. They will no longer be restricted to a max cc rating of 250cc.
    Also, after months of planning, trialling, and discussion, the new Basic Handling Skills test will also be introduced.
    If you are thinking about getting your bike licence, then now is the time to do it. For some of my BHS students who come along, I will get them to try out the new system as well, once they have passed with the old test. It will be interesting to see how much more training will be required.
    So, if you are interested in sitting your BHS over the next 5 weeks, and would also like to help me trial the new BHS then please contact me to book a slot..

Motorcycling is such a wonderful way of life, but it isn't suitable for everyone......But it suits me...

Tricia1000
    Roadcraft School of Motorcycling Ltd.,
    09 4261025/0800 4 LESSON (0800 4 537766)
    Approved course provider
    Consultant to NZTA
    Remember, that GOOD QUALITY TRAINING stays with you forever. It doesn't get sold with your bike, or expire with your rego. It stays with you FOREVER..

It's not the message that is DELIVERED, but the message that is RECEIVED that is important.

Bike
    2006 Suzuki GN250
    I was going to start a new thread for this but this one is pretty close and you may have some pretty good thoughts on this...
    With the new era coming what do you think the new go to learner bikes will be?
    What would your pick be if you were advising someone looking for a learner/restricted licence bike?
    PhD Student and Photographer
    Participate in Research - See my photography - Blog

Bike
    Africa Twin! 2018 all the fruit!

Unhappy

I'd advise them to start with something that was small and comfortable, you know a good reliable 2 fiddy or similar, most other bikes will kill unaware, unsure riders a whole lot faster than they do now.
    Every day above ground is a good day!:

Bike
    2005, Yamaha FZ1
    Hi Bradles,
    alot would depend on the physical structure of the person who was thinking about getting the bike. Considerations as to gender, height, weight and natural ability would have to be considered. Also, the type of riding that you would be doing, and whether you like cruisers, tourers, sports models, etc.

As a generalisation, and as bikes for learner riders, I would tend towards: Honda CB range, NTV650,Bros400 (Awesome learner bike) Kawasaki ER5(Awesome learner bike) , ZZR 400, suzuki GN400, (if you can find one), GS 400 - 550, SV650SU, V-Strom, Triumphs, Yamaha XJ400, XJ650, XJR650

Before everyone jumps down my throat, this was just a quick 2 second scan over the list. It is also a list that has formulated from experience of teaching students on these bikes overseas.

When I get a chance, I will go through the list bike by bike.
    Remember, that if you think a bike should be on the LAMS list, you can apply to have it added.

Tricia1000
    Roadcraft School of Motorcycling Ltd.,
    09 4261025/0800 4 LESSON (0800 4 537766)
    Approved course provider
    Consultant to NZTA

Quote Originally Posted by Bradles View Post
    I was going to start a new thread for this but this one is pretty close and you may have some pretty good thoughts on this...
    What would your pick be if you were advising someone looking for a learner/restricted licence bike?
    Remember, that GOOD QUALITY TRAINING stays with you forever. It doesn't get sold with your bike, or expire with your rego. It stays with you FOREVER..

It's not the message that is DELIVERED, but the message that is RECEIVED that is important.

Bike
    Hornet 900
    Quote Originally Posted by caseye View Post
    I'd advise them to start with something that was small and comfortable, you know a good reliable 2 fiddy or similar, most other bikes will kill unaware, unsure riders a whole lot faster than they do now.
    Bikes don't kill people. People kill people.

Bike
    Africa Twin! 2018 all the fruit!

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by Kendog View Post
    Bikes don't kill people. People kill people.
    Yep and people with no idea of what they are doing, buy bikes that will kill them without thought for anything else except how it/they will look.
    Same argument for guns and cars.
    A limited performance, a time line to achieve adequate training in controlled environments and monitored progress all seem like achievable ideals to me , things that have a good chance of turning out competent people who can drive/ride.
    Don't get me wrong, I'm all for advanced rider training, I'm all for sensible sizing and performance matching for new riders, but I predict an increase in the number of accidents involving learner riders in the coming year or two.
    I want to be wrong, but giving novices machines capable of doing far more than they can control will do that.
    Every day above ground is a good day!:

Bike
    Kate
    Yep and people with no idea of what they are doing, buy bikes that will kill them without thought for anything else except how it/they will look.
    Same argument for guns and cars.
    A limited performance, a time line to achieve adequate training in controlled environments and monitored progress all seem like achievable ideals to me , things that have a good chance of turning out competent people who can drive/ride.
    Don't get me wrong, I'm all for advanced rider training, I'm all for sensible sizing and performance matching for new riders, but I predict an increase in the number of accidents involving learner riders in the coming year or two.
    I want to be wrong, but giving novices machines capable of doing far more than they can control will do that.
    There will be a couple of things to watch out for in that blimp in stats;
    1/ those that grab a LIMS bike at the top range when there body size is at the opposite end.
    2/ drongos that read LIMS as if it was the old CC rating system just lifted to 650 and go out on something like an R6

The old beginner rider on the BMW 650 doesn't worry me as much as the 15 year old on the CBR 400.

The old rider is problably a lawyer in mid-life crisis mode whilst the kid still has potential to do something good
    Great minds discuss ideas, average minds discuss events, small minds discuss people. --- Unknown sage

Bike
    Roadstar 1600 & Royal Star Venture
    Quote Originally Posted by Bradles View Post
    The LAMS ruling is no different to the current 250 law in respect of bike performance. You could buy a DR650/XT660/GB4/500 etc and these will have no better performance than most of the current non race rep 250's.(cbrr/zxr/fzr 250 = race rep) ZZR/hornet/hyo/gpx etc are the 'average' 250's. The advantage is they will be less stressed motor wise, lower revving and more flexible in power delivery. I owned an XJ650 in the 1980's, they are a great bike, HOWEVER they suffer from the old school shaft reaction if you play with the throttle mid corner. Not a good thing for a total newbie. And they aren't exactly 'slow' compared to the sprot 250's mentioned earlier. So it's time to research, but my pick if buying a newer 'big bike' would be the GS500, EN500(and the other version's)... or similar. A good nick GB4/500, if you are big enough, a DR650 or XT660.... i would consider thosethe more 'docile' performers, and before any of the 'faster is better brigade' get stuck in. Most of the bikes I mentioned have been in production for decades and are well accepted as 'big bikes' by full licence holders that do an honest days work as a commuter/fun bike.
    If the road to hell is paved with good intentions; and a man is judged by his deeds and his actions, why say it's the thought that counts? -GrayWolf

Bike
    2017 Husqvarana FS701
    I always thought the '04, '05 ZX10 was a good learner bike. Only the truly talented learner riders make it past the learner phase....

It's cool that learners can now look at some of the bigger classic bikes as learner bikes. Bikes like a nicely restored CB350/400...ooze coolness and also easy to justify as a "second" bike once the rider has progressed, whereas the smaller 250cc sports bikes are often made redundant once the rider gets a bigger sports bike.
    Nail your colours to the mast that all may look upon them and know who you are.
    It takes a big man to cry...and an even bigger man to laugh at that man.

Bike
    Your mom
    Quote Originally Posted by Brett View Post
    I always thought the '04, '05 ZX10 was a good learner bike. Only the truly talented learner riders make it past the learner phase....
    1000cc sports bikes are for n00bs, all learners should start on either a Hayabusa or ZX14.

Bike
    2000 Honda Hornet 600
    Hopefully the stricter BHS and R & F tests will help counter those possibilities...
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Your beliefs don't make you a better person, your behaviour does.

Bike
    2014 Honda VFR1200F
    Blog Entries
    I see the LAMS system as a good thing , for far too long riders have been subjected to 250cc or under while on their learners & restricted licences. Many who would have taken up riding have looked @ the 'learner' bikes & said stuff it & gone & brought a jap import car for a similar price. If we are to get commuters out of their cages & onto bikes then this is a good way to start.

The more commuter bikes out there in rush hour means fewer cars clogging up the roads

The next thing that should be brought in is a power to weight ratio for learners in cars. That would stop the boi racer problem straight away.
    bikes and babes are best naked

Quote Originally Posted by oldguy View Post
    MONEYI don't have any
    Quote Originally Posted by Mom View Post
    I found I had a fluffy seam when my crotch got wet.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lula View Post
    Pussy forget about him.

Bike
    Your mom
    Quote Originally Posted by jafar View Post

The next thing that should be brought in is a power to weight ratio for learners in cars. That would stop the boi racer problem straight away.
    How exactly is that meant to be enforced? Roadside dyno testing?

Bike
    2014 Honda VFR1200F
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by SMOKEU View Post
    Use the same setup as they have done for the LAMS for motorcycles..

If the driver is on a restricted licence & in a modified car then he gets a fine. Any learner in a V8 or turbo gets one too. It wouldn't be that hard to enforce.
    bikes and babes are best naked

Quote Originally Posted by oldguy View Post
    MONEYI don't have any
    Quote Originally Posted by Mom View Post
    I found I had a fluffy seam when my crotch got wet.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lula View Post
    Pussy forget about him.

Bike
    1993 Yamaha FJ 1200
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by SMOKEU View Post
    Same as our LAM's ... if it's on the list, and NOT modified ... they're free to carry on. If its not on the list OR modified ... it will be impounded/parked up (depending on a attitude pass) if a licenced (sober) driver cannot be found.
    When life throws you a curve ... Lean into it ...

Thread Information