Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: New bike time. Ideas?

Bike
    None
    I would go for the Honda GL400 Wing Custom (its LAMS approved).

That's a nice bike (rare too), I would of bought it myself If had allot more experience with motorcycle repairs and spare cash sitting in the bank. I don't know off the top of my head where you would get a stator from for it (the seller might know, if not, you'll need to ask around), you could try the local motorcycle mechanic, or if that's no good, I can think of several websites that might have what you're looking for; Ebay, Wemoto, Bits4bikes, Econohonda, Hondapartshouse, CMSNL, Mrcycles, Japmcdismantlers (they have a GL 400 in stock that might have a stator in working condition) etc. I also heard that the parts used for the Honda GL400 are compatible with the Honda CX500. So that's something worth looking into if you're keen on the motorcycle.

If you're not into motorcycle repairs, you might want to skip this one. But there are tutorials on the internet on installing stators, as well as books covering the basics of motorcycle repairs (Haynes has written some very good motorcycle techbooks). And if you screw it up, there's always the mechanic (or you could try asking an experienced motorcycle enthusiast from here to look at it).

Now watch this video of a Japanese man riding a Honda GL400

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DNO9NpJEOt8

Bike
    Dog Rooter, 1290 SDR
    I went from a 250 to a 1200 with a 400 in between for a month or to. You get used to wheelies after a while.

But PM crasherfromwayback as he gets trades in sometimes which are great deals, tell him Spokes sent ya.
    Quote Originally Posted by Katman View Post
    but once again you proved me wrong.
    Quote Originally Posted by cassina View Post
    I was hit by one such driver while remaining in the view of their mirror.

Bike
    Honda vfr 750 fn 1992 x2 90red
    Blog Entries

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by Lozza2442 View Post
    Haha this is EXACTLY what I'm trying to avoid. I want to be able to go up hills at normal speed without being scared I'm gonna 'pop a wheelie' or whatever haha
    I tell you my nephew brought a kawaski ex 250 ninja well my dad did and he selling it also

I never thought about them but i rode it few times was fun and brillent bike i chouldint fault it i buy myself

if had the cash, and am honda fan boy i got say the cbr 250 whould haave to bloody good to better it.

I like it better than my 750 around town so much fun .

Bike
    Honda vfr 750 fn 1992 x2 90red
    Blog Entries

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by blackdog View Post
    That GB is the nuts. I would say a perfect first step up, and it may well come in under budget.

Not likely to depreciate much compared to many others and easy as to work on and get parts for.

If only I had the readies for every machine I looked at and wanted.
    +1 nice bikes

Bike
    None
    The Honda GB400 is also another fantastic choice and bargain (Its also LAMS approved). It would most likely also work out much cheaper (in terms of any needed repairs and registration) too than the GL400. And if you wanted too in the future, it would make a nice cafe racer project.

Definitely worth keeping your eye on.

Bike
    1993 Yamaha FJ 1200
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Hotkebab View Post
    The Honda GB400 is also another fantastic choice and bargain (Its also LAMS approved). It would most likely also work out much cheaper (in terms of any needed repairs and registration) too than the GL400. And if you wanted too in the future, it would make a nice cafe racer project.

Definitely worth keeping your eye on.
    The GB500 is still "On the list" and a improvement on the 400. Although not by that much. Same dimensions of seat hight/length ... etc.
    When life throws you a curve ... Lean into it ...

Bike
    Triumph Tiger 1050se
    Blog Entries

best for money

at this money it may depend on what comes up that is good buy and simply look at all between 450 and 650cc. Not much good stuff at thsi money.

I woudl say preference to twins maybe so as to keep light, simple, and therfore also for standards - standard road bikes. I reckon best compromise riding position, best riding and handling without going to sports bike which may be too radical a ride position after GN. Smaller cruisers will creat a wind sopck out of you and be hard work on trip, and just dont handle and brake as well - you will notice difference.

Suzuki GS500 is great bike - huge miles, plenty of poke, light and easy to handle. There are similar bikes from others - Kawasaki ER5 great bikes and maybe Honda Bros.

http://www.trademe.co.nz/motors/moto...-511481829.htm too much but right bike.

http://www.trademe.co.nz/motors/moto...-537458106.htm

BUT you might be surprised how well a good 250 can go - more than okay at 120 km.
    http://www.trademe.co.nz/motors/moto...-539897712.htm

I know it is too much but these Honda Bros are very good bikes and ridden well will keep up easy with much bigger bikes. But also small and light:
    http://www.trademe.co.nz/motors/moto...-535686224.htm

If you feel confident you can handle weight of a 4 cylinder (possible but not best advise) Yamaha XJ's are bullit proof older bikes:
    http://www.trademe.co.nz/motors/moto...-534152572.htm
    Not best unless you feel attracted to extra engine.

These have gained great reputation, simpel light twin, good parts, might be too pricey:
    http://www.trademe.co.nz/motors/moto...-537685218.htm
    dont be put off by name - they have established themselves well now. ideal if you can swing the money.

An ex of mine learnt on an old 1980's BMW R65 (650cc) twin boxer which can be picked up for $2500 when rough. Only okay if the idea and euro bit appeals and touring and learning to do own work appeals. cant see on TM right now. Solid things but keep weight low so good learners and will go for ever and ever and ever.
    Stuff everything...I've always got my bike.

Bike
    all sorts
    get a busa!
    He who makes a beast out of himself
    Gets rid of the pain of being a man

Thread Information