Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: New bike time. Ideas?

Bike
    2004 Suzuki GN125

New bike time. Ideas?

Heya!

So, as planned (to coincide with LAMS), my Suzuki GN125 is took small for me now. I want to upgrade to something bigger, but not something so big that it will be too heavy for me.

I am - 23 years old, 5'8 tall, 85kg ish.

What do you think I should get next? My budget is up to $2k (ish).

Cheers

Bike
    Obsolete ones.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lozza2442 View Post
    Heya!

So, as planned (to coincide with LAMS), my Suzuki GN125 is took small for me now. I want to upgrade to something bigger, but not something so big that it will be too heavy for me.

I am - 23 years old, 5'8 tall, 85kg ish.

What do you think I should get next? My budget is up to $2k (ish).

Cheers

Ask yourself what you want it to do. You want a mile eater for weekends away, a sprot bike, dual porpoise so you can ride gravel, a layed back cruiser etc?

Bike
    01 SV650S
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by george formby View Post
    Ask yourself what you want it to do. You want a mile eater for weekends away, a sprot bike, dual porpoise so you can ride gravel, a layed back cruiser etc?
    Pretty much this.

Here's something that may help you when looking over a bike, it's certainly the most comprehensive list I've seen
    Link
    Te audire no possum. Musa sapientum fixa est in aure.

Bike
    2004 Suzuki GN125
    I've only really used it as a commuter so far. But I want something that I can comfortably ride for hours at a time for weekends. The GN seat is amazingly comfy. Not a gas guzzler.
    I've only ridden the GN, so don't have anything to compare to in terms of Sport vs Cruiser vs everything else..

Bike
    Obsolete ones.
    Quote Originally Posted by nathanwhite View Post
    Pretty much this.

Here's something that may help you when looking over a bike, it's certainly the most comprehensive list I've seen
    Link
    That's very good.

I've found that my mates do not like having there bikes looked at too closely, though. "Is that a speck of dirt I see?" "chain is slack by 2.6mm...." "Where is that oil dripping from?"

Bike
    01 SV650S
    Blog Entries
    I've only really used it as a commuter so far. But I want something that I can comfortably ride for hours at a time for weekends. The GN seat is amazingly comfy. Not a gas guzzler.
    I've only ridden the GN, so don't have anything to compare to in terms of Sport vs Cruiser vs everything else..
    Get a scorpio? Similar to a GN250 and plenty fine for open road stuff

That's very good.

I've found that my mates do not like having there bikes looked at too closely, though. "Is that a speck of dirt I see?" "chain is slack by 2.6mm...." "Where is that oil dripping from?"
    Be fair, it's not that precise

Bike
    2004 Suzuki GN125
    Pretty much this.

Link
    That's cool for once I know what I want to get and I'm actually getting one, I'm still at the stage of what bikes do I want to look at though.

I need advice on what the heaviest bikes I should be looking at are, which bikes will make me fly off the back, which ones I wont be able to control and will kill myself on etc

If you were in my situation, what bike would YOU get?

Bike
    Obsolete ones.
    Sprot v cruiser is two extremes, the first you can't get much further forward, the second you can't get much further back. Somebody just rode past on a GS 500E.
    A fine upstanding motorcycle. Lots of different bikes in this category & all practical daily rides which can let their hair down at the weekend to a greater or lesser degree.

Bike
    01 SV650S
    Blog Entries

As a first bike under LAMS? anything that didn't have 4 cylinders. As a 2nd bike.... I don't know really, my 2nd bike will sit firmly in 6F territory.

The GS500F if your after a sportier bike would be good
    Honda nighthawk 400 could be a nice naked.

Unfortunately I haven't researched this area of bikes as it hasn't be applicable to me so I can't really answer this easily

Bike
    Kate
    That's cool for once I know what I want to get and I'm actually getting one, I'm still at the stage of what bikes do I want to look at though.

I need advice on what the heaviest bikes I should be looking at are, which bikes will make me fly off the back, which ones I wont be able to control and will kill myself on etc

Initially i was going to suggest the GN250 but as you say you want to go for hours and refer to LAMS what about a mid-range bike, 4 - 600. After a GN250 I went to a 400, found the power increase was about right. If you to ride long distances and enjoy the scenery then stick with road or crusier styling, if you want to see how fast you can get from A - B then go sport. At just on 6 ft I didn't enjoy the cramped knees the VFR400 caused on long rides, nor the pressure on the wrists (higher speeds helped that ) but did ride it from Greymouth to Palmerston North OK, the rest on the ferry helped.
    Great minds discuss ideas, average minds discuss events, small minds discuss people. --- Unknown sage

Bike
    2004 Suzuki GN125
    Sprot v cruiser is two extremes, the first you can't get much further forward, the second you can't get much further back. Somebody just rode past on a GS500 A fine upstanding motorcycle. Lots of different bikes in this category & all practical daily rides which can let their hair down at the weekend to a greater or lesser degree.
    This looks really nice, some of the earlier ones are similar style to the GN as well, so it may be a good change over to something bigger. Doesn't seem tooo much heavier than the 125, which is surprising but good by me!

As a first bike under LAMS? anything that didn't have 4 cylinders. As a 2nd bike.... I don't know really, my 2nd bike will sit firmly in 6F territory.

The GS500F if your after a sportier bike would be good
    Honda nighthawk 400 could be a nice naked.

Unfortunately I haven't researched this area of bikes as it hasn't be applicable to me so I can't really answer this easily
    Yeaaaaaaah. That's why I'm confused as to what to get... There's heaps of advice re first bikes, but subsequent bikes? Nuttin. I got the 125 knowing I'd only have it for a couple months to learn the initial practice etc on. Just convenient I can actually get bigger with the LAMS. Means I am looking for a bike to have for a while, not just in the short term like current.

Bike
    2004 Suzuki GN125
    Quote Originally Posted by oneofsix View Post
    Initially i was going to suggest the GN250 but as you say you want to go for hours and refer to LAMS what about a mid-range bike, 4 - 600. After a GN250 I went to a 400, found the power increase was about right. If you to ride long distances and enjoy the scenery then stick with road or crusier styling, if you want to see how fast you can get from A - B then go sport. At just on 6 ft I didn't enjoy the cramped knees the VFR400 caused on long rides, nor the pressure on the wrists (higher speeds helped that ) but did ride it from Greymouth to Palmerston North OK, the rest on the ferry helped.
    Yeeep I think you may be right about the 4-600 (prob more the lower end then the 600).
    I do enjoy the scenery, but the man has a sport bike & enjoys getting from A - B. Whereas I'm all about the trip along the way.

I guess I've made him go slow this long so it doesn't matter haha

Since starting riding, I've been getting a sore right hand/wrist (ride to work then go on computer all day then ride home) so I guess I should take that into consideration too.
    Last edited by Lozza2442; 30th August 2012 at 14:30. Reason: added crap re wrist

Bike
    01 SV650S
    Blog Entries
    Yeaaaaaaah. That's why I'm confused as to what to get... There's heaps of advice re first bikes, but subsequent bikes? Nuttin. I got the 125 knowing I'd only have it for a couple months to learn the initial practice etc on. Just convenient I can actually get bigger with the LAMS. Means I am looking for a bike to have for a while, not just in the short term like current.
    For subsequent bikes one can go up to a 600-750cc IL4 without too much of a problem and a fair degree more of safety then said beast as a first bike.

The category that attracted me was the 4-650cc single/twin field. You get 3-4 times the power of the first bike and delivered in a way that won't send you off the back or scared crapless with an errant twist

Bike
    2004 Suzuki GN125
    The category that attracted me was the 4-650cc single/twin field. You get 3-4 times the power of the first bike and delivered in a way that won't send you off the back or scared crapless with an errant twist
    Haha this is EXACTLY what I'm trying to avoid. I want to be able to go up hills at normal speed without being scared I'm gonna 'pop a wheelie' or whatever haha

Bike
    2002 vtr250
    IMO for learners there's nothing wrong with the 250s
    CB250
    VT250

Bigger than 250. I would look at these for ones.
    GS500
    BROS

Thread Information