Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: KTM Duke 200

Bike
    I just lost count
    So the real question is, do we find a smaller piston for it, or short stroke it to reduce the capacity to 150cc

For the record Qkkid was in my bed, not the other way round

Quote Originally Posted by Yow Ling View Post
    Pumba is a wise man.

Bike
    Ducati 1199 R
    There is a KTM Duke 390 coming out as well more here: http://www.zigwheels.com/news-featur...t-month/14433/

I spoke to the Pukekohe dealer today and he said about $10k

Bike
    Forza 155 SE Pit Bike
    Well we're up to 180km on it and it's still averaging around 30km/L. Winding the little critter up through the gears will see a fairly realistic 130-135kph under controlled conditions on a closed road. It's remarkably quick to get there too, you just have to be a little mean and keep the little rev counter bar up around the 10 mark.

What I have found is that unlike a lot of small bikes, it's very stable doing slow speed wheelies and doesn't get wobbly on one wheel. This is really confidence inspiring as to hoist it properly you can really only do it in first gear, at low speed and then once nice and high you shift up a couple of gears. I'm totally shit at stoppies but I'm doing a little practice here and there and getting the hang of them. The bike's so light that the rear wheel gains height deceptively quickly so the "gently gently" approach will hopefully ensure it all stays right way up.

This is a SERIOUSLY cool little bike and I can't WAIT to try the 350cc 390 Duke coming soon.
    Vote David Bain for MNZ president

Bike
    '09 Bandit 1250s
    Quote Originally Posted by White trash View Post
    Well we're up to 180km on it and it's still averaging around 30km/L. Winding the little critter up through the gears will see a fairly realistic 130-135kph under controlled conditions on a closed road. It's remarkably quick to get there too, you just have to be a little mean and keep the little rev counter bar up around the 10 mark.

What I have found is that unlike a lot of small bikes, it's very stable doing slow speed wheelies and doesn't get wobbly on one wheel. This is really confidence inspiring as to hoist it properly you can really only do it in first gear, at low speed and then once nice and high you shift up a couple of gears. I'm totally shit at stoppies but I'm doing a little practice here and there and getting the hang of them. The bike's so light that the rear wheel gains height deceptively quickly so the "gently gently" approach will hopefully ensure it all stays right way up.

This is a SERIOUSLY cool little bike and I can't WAIT to try the 350cc 390 Duke coming soon.
    I can't wait either, then wait another 5-10 years for a second hand one to be cheap enough for me to afford haha

Bike
    N/A
    BikeRiderTV (on CueTV, Tuesdays 10.00pm) are reviewing the Duke 200 this coming week (4/12). Check it out.

Does anyone know whether the new 2013 Duke 200 with ABS is coming to NZ, and when etc?

Bike
    Sonic the Second (II)
    We decided one of these would be the bike for Mum to get back into riding on. Mainly because of the weight, if she screwed up and dropped it, the 5 year old laughing across the road could bike it bike up.

Since she decided to bugger off to Europe for a few weeks holiday, I was in charge of breaking it in. 600+ km later and and I've found out a few things about it.

Because it's so light, if you're doing some high speed cornering and the road is a bit second hand (read: typical NZ road), the front can get a little "wiggly". It's certainly a predictable bike so it's not unsettling. If anyone is riding at the speed to do it I can't imagine they would do anything stupid like choke the bars to cause issues.

The kick stand and shifter setup causes one annoyance as well. If you have big feet, when moving the stand you can sometimes bump the shift linkage to jump it into gear. If you're aware of it, it's not a problem.

All in all though, very impressive bike. Bloody fun to ride (I ride a Daytona). The braided lines are pretty impressive for "learner" bike and shows the build quality. The comprehensive dash is another plus. If this was out when my wife and I were learning we would have brought two.

Honestly, for an extra $1000-1500 over the other 250's on the market. it's worth it. The only other learner bike I haven't played with is the mini-cbr but I still reckon the Duke is a no brainer.

I would say once Mum gets her grove back she'll be upgrading to the 390. That's gonna be a riot!!

Bike
    N/A
    Quote Originally Posted by ckai View Post
    Because it's so light, if you're doing some high speed cornering and the road is a bit second hand (read: typical NZ road), the front can get a little "wiggly". It's certainly a predictable bike so it's not unsettling. If anyone is riding at the speed to do it I can't imagine they would do anything stupid like choke the bars to cause issues.
    Do you mean it's best not to try to stop the wiggle?

Bike
    Sonic the Second (II)
    Quote Originally Posted by tons View Post
    Do you mean it's best not to try to stop the wiggle?
    It's really like riding any bike - the more input you put into the bars when something "unexpected" happens the more you're forcing the bike to do something it doesn't want to do. This just pisses them off more.

So yeah, I just let it do it's thing. It's nothing stupid, but it would be unsettling for a learner. But like I said, a "learner" riding at the speed to get it to do this should know not to play with the bike. So when you're first starting out it's perfect and you can stick with it for a while since you can have so much fun in the corners.

The "wiggle" isn't really a wiggle, it's more of being able to feel everything the front wheel is doing because it's so light.

Yes, they're not as stable as a big fat lardy 250 like an Intruder or Hyosung or Ninja but they're so nimble and predictable it doesn't matter and you certainly don't get blown around like you'd expect with a bike so light. You don't even worry about trucks coming the other way.

You think about turning on them and you turn. Really responsive. In fact, when I first go on it I was expecting it to be just a little better than everything else for similar money with regards to turning. First roundabout I got such a shock I had to sit the bike up because it turned so quick.

I think any new rider or someone looking for a round-town bike should at least take one for a ride.

I was thinking of giving it a blast around a track to see what it was like. Might still do. It'll be fun

Bike
    N/A
    Thanks for the info ckai .

Did anyone see the BikeRiderTV review of the Duke 200?

What did you think - I thought it was a bit mixed - some good, some not so good. I guess Kevin is used to riding top end bikes, so I guess any negative comments could be taken with that in mind?

Bike
    1999 Honda Hornet CB600FX
    Digging this thread out because this is one of the bikes I've been having my eye on.

Quote Originally Posted by Hailwood View Post
    ..shame the seat height was too high my my lady otherwise it may have been a serious contender for her first bike.....
    I've been wondering about that. KTM's usually not known to make bikes for vertically challenged people like me. I'm 1.65 m. How tall is your lady?

Quote Originally Posted by ckai View Post
    We decided one of these would be the bike for Mum to get back into riding on. Mainly because of the weight, if she screwed up and dropped it, the 5 year old laughing across the road could bike it bike up.
    So how is the bike going after 2 month now? How does your Mum get along with it?

Has anyone else tried (bought?) the bike, yet?

Bike
    Sonic the Second (II)
    Quote Originally Posted by Grashopper View Post
    Digging this thread out because this is one of the bikes I've been having my eye on.

I've been wondering about that. KTM's usually not known to make bikes for vertically challenged people like me. I'm 1.65 m. How tall is your lady?

So how is the bike going after 2 month now? How does your Mum get along with it?

Has anyone else tried (bought?) the bike, yet?
    Just wiped out the measuring tape and checked wifey. She's 1.63 - give or take - and she's fine on it. In fact she loves it (not as much as the daytona mind you ). She helped decide to buy it.

Even though it's slightly taller than other learners, it's so much lighter that you can bounce it from foot to foot when stopped. He'll, you can even lift the front wheel!

As for how it is after 2 months, to be honest there hasn't been that many more ks put on it but mum loves it.

I was telling her about them bringing them out with abs and it didn't bother her one bit as she thinks the brakes are awesome (and they are!).

Sit on one if you haven't and swing it from side to side to feel the weight. You might be surprised.

Bike
    Thank you very much for your reply ckai.

That sounds really promising. will buzz over to Hamilton some time and have a look (and sit).

Bike
    N/A
    I jumped on the KTM NZ (and Aus) website this morning for the first time in a few weeks, and noticed the 2013 Duke 200 is now advertised (as was a 2013 Duke 125, although the 125 was tagged as Aus only).

The 2013 Duke 200 has ABS, and they had photos of it in the white colour scheme (where the white and orange have been swapped, and which formerly was only available in India, and makes it look a bit more like the Duke 390).

Good ole KTM aye!

Bike
    Damn, that bike even looks good in white.

Bike
    N/A
    I think white is a good colour for a bike, it must be more visible which has got to be a good thing.

Hmmm, I was thinking I'd get a 390 but with the 200 with ABS and in white, maybe the 200 could be an option after-all ... I guess may it may come down to price - if they hike the 200 price because of ABS etc then I think it would be worth the little bit more for the 390, which I understand is going to be $10K (interestingly the UK site lists the 390 for 4500 pounds and the 200 for 4195 pounds, which means the 390 is 1.0727 times the price of the 200 ... if the same ratio were to be applied to the prices in NZ, as the 200 is $7999 in NZ, the 390 should cost $8580.57 in NZ ).

Thread Information