View Poll Results: Could you have avoided this bin?

Voters
134. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

32 23.88%
  • No

11 8.21%
  • Probably

51 38.06%
  • Probably not

40 29.85%
Page 21 of 21 FirstFirst ... 11192021

Thread: Could you have avoided this?

Bike
    bandit
    Quote Originally Posted by Berries View Post
    And New Zealand has?
    Made it there and back from several tough and cold places ...

"So if you meet me, have some sympathy, have some courtesy, have some taste ..."

Bike
    It was on the good
    Nah, I give up. Which one of the Topp twins is that?

Bike
    GSXR750, KTM350EXCF
    Quote Originally Posted by Berries View Post
    Nah, I give up. Which one of the Topp twins is that?
    It's carrot isn't it? or spinning? I do get them mixed up.

Bike
    1997 Honda VTR1000F Firestorm
    Quote Originally Posted by Drew View Post
    My response referred to slow speed, open chicane. Since you were too retarded to consider adding perameters to the question, you are wrong. Go away, fuck-tard!
    the context of the previous conversation should have been more than enough to add the parameters. But since I did not, you are right.

But you agree that any tight corner at any decent speed (OK above what 40kph?) is going to present big problems.

I have no doubt that your mate can do lock to lock turns without his hands on bars. At slow speed.
    Now YOU go away, asshat.

The one thing man learns from history is that man does not learn from history
    Calvin and Hobbes: The surest sign of intelligent life out there is that it has not tried to contact us.
    Its easier to apologise than ask for permission.
    Wise words:
    Quote Originally Posted by quickbuck View Post
    It could be that I have one years experience repeated 33 times!

Bike
    Its a Boat
    asshat...
    Such language should not be tolerated within the ideology of this fine congenial website.

Bike
    Exxon Valdez
    Quote Originally Posted by Maha View Post
    asshat...
    Such language should not be tolerated within the ideology of this fine congenial website.
    I dunno, at least it's quite original. Everyone is so used to me calling them cunts now, it doesn't even warrant mention any more.

Bike
    CB1300
    Quote Originally Posted by Katman View Post
    The first thing that strikes me is that the running commentary suggests that his mind wasn't entirely on the job.
    +1
    Also no use of the horn.
    Reeks of someone with a divided focus being unable to see the exit.

My money in a similar situation in 2009 was to get on the horn and tip in for an unplanned exit from the main road. Followed sharply by a sphincter pulsating attempt to recover traction on both ends as I passed through a drift of gravel.

Given the choice of definitly pushing the 'busa into a milk truck and going on an unplanned detour to possibly drop the bike into the side of one truck in the path of another the choice was clear and simple.

Had I been recording a blog at the same time I would have probably done the same thing he did and over braked in a situation where the brakes were not a viable solution...

Having said that I was not there when he had his crash and every crash is different. I could be taken out by a parked car tommorow if I were to try and record my thoughts...

Bike

I can't say I'm sure...

But my instinctual method of avoiding shit has always been, use about half of the available distance on the front brake, and use the second half to flick the bike as hard out of the way as possible.

This seems to work, because by the time I've finished my braking, the other driver has usually hit their brakes, and there are more situations where you do not have the distance to stop, but you do have room for very hard cornering.

But the thing is, I don't know what he's riding. I'm usually on very flickable twins or other light bikes for this reason, sounded like he was on a big four.

Bike
    SV1000, ZX6R, FZR400, CBR250,FXR150
    From a reasonable distance, the video shows two trucks and further traffic obstructions beyond the trucks. My immediate reaction would have been to slow down, with caution. It seems the rider was otherwise occupied with his commentary, the question is was he really watching the road or looking at something else as well.

Stupid manoeuvre by the dumbass truckie though.

Bike
    None
    Quote Originally Posted by jrandom View Post
    pic
    And then there's this...

Last edited by Gremlin; 6th January 2013 at 12:26. Reason: Quoted Embedded Media Removed

Bike
    2012 Honda GL1800
    I have a headlight modulator on my bike which would have been activated at this rider's point. I would have considered weaving a bit in the lane to draw attention to my headlight and covered my brakes while reducing speed. The rider did not 'leave himself an out". Had he done that then he might have been able to push steer his bike into the unoccupied roadway on his left after braking down to a slower speed. You can see from his helmet cam that he target fixated on the truck and did not look into the escape route.

Thread Information