View Poll Results: Could you have avoided this bin?

Voters
134. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

32 23.88%
  • No

11 8.21%
  • Probably

51 38.06%
  • Probably not

40 29.85%
Page 1 of 21 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Could you have avoided this?

Bike
    HONDA EXPRESS

Could you have avoided this?

. .

www.PhotoRecall.co.nz

Bike
    Africa Twin! 2018 all the fruit!

Thumbs up

The one time I had a similar situation I stopped and waited for the arsehole truck driver. He got shitty and flipped me the bird. This looked to be all over rover at the second evaluation, no one moving, right on top of the intersection only to see the bloody black truck start moving. That driver must have seen him from that distance, what was he thinking?
    To answer your question, that close in before becoming aware of that much road block "moving", I'm not sure I could have, no escape routes, no certainty that having seen you he was going to stop and allow you to go around in front of him.Terrible situation.
    Where was this filmed and was it you?
    Every day above ground is a good day!:

Bike
    HONDA EXPRESS
    Quote Originally Posted by caseye View Post
    Where was this filmed and was it you?
    I think it was filmed in the UK. If it was me I would have avoided it

www.PhotoRecall.co.nz

Bike
    Katanasaurus Rex
    The first thing that strikes me is that the running commentary suggests that his mind wasn't entirely on the job.

Bike
    GSXR750, KTM350EXCF
    I was hoping the camera had come off and was not the rider flying like that.

But no as i probably would have been going faster.

Bike
    Custom Ag100
    No way to avoid that as bike wasn't even going that quick, fucking truck driver needs a bloody good thrashing!

Looked nasty for the rider with certain internal injuries I'd suspect, I hope driver got done.
    "Sorry Officer, umm.... my yellow power band got stuck wide open"

Bike
    2005 Z750S
    Quote Originally Posted by Katman View Post
    The first thing that strikes me is that the running commentary suggests that his mind wasn't entirely on the job.
    I have to agree with this. It's what I was thinking. The guy is riding a bike and seems to be making a commentary on road tax or something.

As for the truck driver, I'd expect he looked down the road, saw nothing, and from then on his mind was on the truck to his right. He should have looked again, but didn't. (People generally can't see 'round corners, which is a good reason not to go too fast; you can't blame someone for pulling out in front of you when they can't predict you'll appear from around the corner. But here, the bike wasn't all that fast. The truckie had time for a second look.)

I think I'd have hit the truck too. I'd like to claim I'd have slowed down way more on seeing the potential for trouble, or perhaps moved more to the left. But can't really guarantee that. The video is a good reminder, regardless of "fault" or whatever.
    Measure once, cut twice. Practice makes perfect.

Bike
    Exxon Valdez
    There's no maybe option.

It was avoidable, but I can't make a claim either way other than that.

Bike
    CB919, 1090R, R1200GSA
    Blog Entries
    Positioning was good, not close to the centre line, but yes, talking to video he seems to have not factored in the black truck is still covering ground.

That said... yeah, the truck moved right across in front of him, but it seems he assumed too much and didn't reduce his speed at all...

Moving to survival skills, I think it's best there.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jane Omorogbe from UK MSN on the KTM990SM
    It's barking mad and if it doesn't turn you into a complete loon within half an hour of cocking a leg over the lofty 875mm seat height, I'll eat my Arai.

Bike
    Obsolete ones.
    I concur. i struggle to hold a conversation when I'm driving a car.

That whole scenario would have had my spidey senses screaming. Not so much the trucks but what other road users, hidden to me, behind them might do. Potentially blocked escape routes... I would be very slow by that point, lots going on. The truck is indicating too. I would really be checking that I had been seen & slowing accordingly.
    Well, that would happen on a good day, if my piles weren't distracting me. Otherwise I could fuck up a situation like that if my head was not 100%.

Not gonna vote because I ain't perfick.

Bike
    Exxon Valdez
    I can't even be bothered winding you cunts up about your hypocrisy. I think I should see a doctor.

Bike
    RC36, RC31, KR-E, CR125
    Same thing happened to me with an old lady in a mondeo (iirc). Fortunately both vehicles speeds were lowing in my case, and had I been only a meter or two further up the road, I would have stopped before impact. As it was I left a dent in the rear door, kept the bike upright, but got pretty sore nuts.

So I learnt my lesson, and look for those cues now, so yes I think I could avoid it. And yes I can understand that plenty of riders couldn't!

I agree, the truck didn't appear to have slowed below 10kmhr (hard to tell from the vid) so the rider could have noticed it had he been looking.
    "A shark on whiskey is mighty risky, but a shark on beer is a beer engineer" - Tad Ghostal

Bike
    GSXR750, KTM350EXCF
    Quote Originally Posted by Drew View Post
    I can't even be bothered winding you cunts up about your hypocrisy. I think I should see a doctor.
    O go on, you know you're dying to. Maybe have a few beers.

Bike
    Katanasaurus Rex
    As far as potential hazards go that situation is dripping with them.

The two trucks block off almost all the escape routes and it doesn't appear particularly well lit in amongst the trees.

I'd have been doing whatever it takes to ensure the truck driver spotted me.

It also didn't appear that the motorcyclist slowed down noticeably.

Bike
    Obsolete ones.
    As far as potential hazards go that situation is dripping with them.

The two trucks block off almost all the escape routes and it doesn't appear particularly well lit in amongst the trees.

I'd have been doing whatever it takes to ensure the truck driver spotted me.

It also didn't appear that the motorcyclist slowed down noticeably.
    An instant "oh fuck, look at this lot" reaction.

Thread Information