Thread: Dual sport boots (for a lady rider with big feet and calves)

Bike
    None

Dual sport boots (for a lady rider with big feet and calves)

Hi guys, for a while now I've been trying to find a good pair of dual sport adventure boots that will actually fit me (size 10.5 men's shoe US and large calves). So far I've tried going to my local motorcycle store where I tried on three pairs of Gaerne G-Adventure Boots that were shipped in for me to try, without much luck (I went up to an 11.5, though the feet fit perfectly, my calves didn't fit). I feel bad for the store that got them in for me, they said they would keep trying to look for a pair for me (after I gave them a set of measurements last week, but so far I haven't heard back from them).

I'm ideally after a boot that will offer adequate protection for my ankle (and shin), waterproof, have good tread and preferably under $500 (if I can help it). I figured it wouldn't hurt to ask for a second opinion as I don't have much experience with motorcycle boots.

I'm currently looking into; Gaerne G-Midland Boots, Gaerne G-Quad Aquatech Boots, Rjays Sprint Boot, Rjays Terrain Boot, Dainese Longbow Boots, Dainese Fulcrum Boots, Dainese Nighthawk Boots, Alpinestars Web Goretex Boots, Alpinestars Scout Boots, Forma Adventure Boots and Sidi Canyon Boots.

Bike
    2004 Suzuki GN125
    Quote Originally Posted by Hotkebab View Post
    Hi guys, for a while now I've been trying to find a good pair of dual sport adventure boots that will actually fit me (size 10.5 men's shoe US and large calves). So far I've tried going to my local motorcycle store where I tried on three pairs of Gaerne G-Adventure Boots that were shipped in for me to try, without much luck (I went up to an 11.5, though the feet fit perfectly, my calves didn't fit). I feel bad for the store that got them in for me, they said they would keep trying to look for a pair for me (after I gave them a set of measurements last week, but so far I haven't heard back from them).

I'm ideally after a boot that will offer adequate protection for my ankle (and shin), waterproof, have good tread and preferably under $500 (if I can help it). I figured it wouldn't hurt to ask for a second opinion as I don't have much experience with motorcycle boots.
    Have you thought of just getting some nice leather boots with the ankle protection etc and taking them to a cobbler and getting him to insert some extra leather in the back? They can also put lots of darts in with elastic add ins.
    The elastic isn't ideal for waterproof, but the leather should be fine?

Bike
    SPEED TRIPLE
    Done a bit of browsing in the www regarding boots and have read a fair amount of reviews etc about Alpinestairs for the more "muscular" calves. These seem most popular (not dual as such tho) - as far as I have read anyways.
    Stella S-MX 5

*Innovative inner (medial) side entry opening/closure system that features an elastic mounted zipper with an extra wide Velcro© flap, to give a precise, comfortable fit and wide opening aperture for ease of access.

I adore the looks of Sidi boots, but am put off by the fact that I have read many reviews stating that there fit sways towards "chicken legs"

It's hard finding the perfect boot but...

EDIT:
    These look rather stylie... and maybe more towards what you are looking for

YET ANOTHER EDIT:
    I have had my eyes on these for ages, for the adjustability but the additional "tallness" ... but they are on the expensive side I believe
    http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=514635
    No body move... I dropped my brain

Bike
    WR250R
    What you define as 'adequate ankle protection' will depend on the kind of riding you are doing - for more off road you want something closer to a motocross boot, for more gravel/on road you'd be able to go for something roadier.

Getting something waterproof can be a challenge for Adventure style boots. Personally I've given up - I wear motocross boots and waterproof socks.

Most of the people on site who wear larger adventure style boots are unlikely to look at posts in this forum - try asking again in the Adventure forum, giving some information about the kind of riding you are doing, as this will have a big impact on the appropriateness of different boots.

Rosie.
    The road to hell is paved...

Bike
    None
    Generally the sort of riding I do is around town and through the country side (gravel roads). Sometimes I like to go and ride on the beach. But I've never really done off road riding as such (to the extent of motocross). I find the boots with the smooth bottoms to be hell on gravel, especially if you have to pick up a motorcycle, you end up slipping and sliding all over the place. As for protection, that's a must, the last boots I wore offered me very little protection when I had my leg smashed up and my ankle twisted back to front.

I've also considered Acerbis Dual Road Shoes

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	5399-ACERBIS_Dual_Road_Shoes_11581.090_1.jpg 
Views:	7 
Size:	12.0 KB 
ID:	269851

Bike
    XT660R / TTR250 / 2 old Montesa's

I've also considered Acerbis Dual Road Shoes

Name:	5399-ACERBIS_Dual_Road_Shoes_11581.090_1.jpg 
Views:	7 
Size:	12.0 KB 
ID:	269851

I use the Thor ADV version of those...
    Pete

90% of all Harleys built are still on the road... The other 10% made it back home...
    Ducati... Makeing riders into mechaincs since 1964...

Bike
    FransAlp 700
    Alpinestar Tech 2's and shin guards?

Not waterproof but.

Very, very comfortable.

Alpinestar Tech 3 All Terrain Boots? Tech 3's with a good grippy, replaceable sole.

Bike
    None
    I went back to my motorcycle store without much luck. I tried the Gaerne, Thor and Fox range of boots without much luck. The Gaerne fit my feet perfectly but calf wise were too small, and the Thor and Fox range just fit my calves, but the fitting of the feet in terms of width were uncomfortable. So I've pretty much given up on my local motorcycle store (and high cut boots). Considering I tend to do a bit of riding on gravel, motocross boots aren't what I'm looking for (I'm more looking for a trail boot). So I did some searching and found that Alpinestars have recently made this boot, the Alpinestars CR-4 Gore-Tex XCR Boot, unfortunately though they're not stocked in New Zeeland, so I have to get them imported (well, if they don't fit I can always sell them on trademe or here)

Name:	CR4GORETEX.jpg 
Views:	5 
Size:	78.2 KB 
ID:	270059

Name:	cr4-goretex3.jpg 
Views:	4 
Size:	56.3 KB 
ID:	270061

Bike
    None
    Quote Originally Posted by NordieBoy View Post
    Alpinestar Tech 2's and shin guards?

Not waterproof but.

Very, very comfortable.

Alpinestar Tech 3 All Terrain Boots? Tech 3's with a good grippy, replaceable sole.
    Yes, I really like the Alpinestars, I'm currently looking into them.

Bike
    FransAlp 700
    Yes, I really like the Alpinestars, I'm currently looking into them.
    Torpedo7 had the Tech 2's for $200 when I got them.

Bike
    None
    Today I received my Alpinestars CR-4 Goretex XCR boots and I love them. They're a perfect fit and comfy (I normally take a size 10.5 US men's shoe but I went up a size just to be safe). I ended up contacting the company and they were really helpful when it came to finding me the right size (it was a shame though they couldn't ship to New Zealand). They have a good amount of heel, ankle and toe protection on them, tread (which is ideal for gravel) and I can adjust the laces on them like a normal pair of boots. They're fully water proof too, flexible and look awesome.

I ended up getting them from Prefmoto on ebay for about $230 NZD including shipping.

Name:	34050455.png 
Views:	8 
Size:	458.3 KB 
ID:	270791

Thread Information