Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Two-stroke plug lifetime?

Bike
    1994 Kawasaki ZZR1100
    Quote Originally Posted by imdying View Post
    Ooooh, I have to dredge pretty hard in the old memory banks... but I think it was related to the pilot circuit on an Holley 600 vac/sec. Was suggested to me by an older, hideously experienced joker I worked with.
    I have an electrical background, and have usually had access to a wide range of enamelled copper wire gauges & micrometers. I usually start by finding a wire diameter which just fits the orginal jet hole & hence work out the actual jet hole diameter. From there you can measure & calculate different jetting hole sizes & try them without spending a cent! You could buy some new jets, but I have just usually left a final wire size in the hole & it has worked for as long as I have wanted. It is a good idea to document the details in a motorcycle's hand book before they are forgotten!

I have mentioned the idea to a few people, but they usually look at me as if I must be slightly demented at using such a Heath Robinson idea! Being the sort of guy I am, I get a bit of that.
    Anyway, it would be an easy thing for Stoo to try, when he runs out of obvious possibilities.

Bike
    There are other kinds?
    Many people are reluctant to use a solution that doesnt come in a flash box with stickers for the fairings.

Question 1 re the wire in the jets idea - does it work reliably?

There is no question 2.

Home jobs used to be how we did things in NZ - what happened?

Bike
    1994 Kawasaki ZZR1100
    Quote Originally Posted by Tarded View Post
    Many people are reluctant to use a solution that doesnt come in a flash box with stickers for the fairings.

Question 1 re the wire in the jets idea - does it work reliably?
    Years ago I rode a Honda 360 with the main jet in each carb modified like this, and even inspected my handiwork a couple of times over some 10s of thousands of kms.
    The idea worked perfectly, and never gave the slightest trouble. Obviously, the new exposed hole size needs to be correct for carburation to be correct. I on-sold the bike with the wires in place & advised the new owner about it.

Each length of wire was about 30mm long, and it was held in place by a second insertion through one of the several main jet feed holes, and a couple of loose turns around the recessed channel into which these were drilled. I can not of course say that all main jets will be suitable for this form of wire retention.

Funnily enough, I now own a simple commuter scooter which I feel is running a bit rich. I may try this trick again!
    Fairytales are the domain of infants ... Dreams are the stuff of progress.

Bike
    There are other kinds?

Thumbs up

For the time and cost of trying you would be mad not to.

Not to mention the satisfaction of repairing stuff yourself.

Even after years as a mechanic ( and a few years since I did it for a living) I still get a kick out of home job solutions working.

Thread Information