Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Searching the touring bikes

Bike
    RSV4RR, M109R, ZX10R
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Edbear View Post
    Yeah, finding something like the Connie at smaller sizes is not easy. Only one I can really think of is the old Honda PC800.
    PC800 isnt my thing. Idd need a man bag and a boyfriend rather than wife?
    I have evolved as a KB member.Now nothing I say should be taken seriously.

Bike
    Had a 2007 Suzuki C50T Boulevard
    Quote Originally Posted by mossy1200 View Post
    PC800 isnt my thing. Idd need a man bag and a boyfriend rather than wife?
    The Valkyrie Tour was a great machine.
    You don't get to be an old dog without learning a few tricks.
    Shorai Powersports batteries are very trick!

Bike
    GSX1200
    Quote Originally Posted by Rhys View Post
    I would look at blackbirds (cbr1100xx)

http://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/List...x?id=514185834
    Sure thing

Bike
    R100GSPD
    Just looking for a new bike.
    Looking for the perfect 2 up sports touring bike.
    Going to be buying a house so this is last chance to buy a bike to keep for 5 years so needs to be a good one.
    Interested in new not second hand

List so far after searching online for reviews.

BMW K1300s well in front. 30k approx so is up on price. Would rather spend less but sports touring selection is hard.

ZX14r. Something says great bike but I want it for 5 years.

Kawasaki Contours 1400. The 300kg weight is a issue as it seems to be to far away from sports for me but I do like the look of them.

VFR1200. Good reviews but im not crazy on the looks.

Busa. Never been into them or even riden one so im not sure.

Maybe theres more options but im after ample seats and fairings. Also optional hard luggage.
    Any advice from those who have late model sports touring bikes that arnt full touring bikes.
    does anyone know someone that has a BMWK1300s

http://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/List...x?id=516387466 This is my trade if any shop sales guys spot the thread.
    motomart have a second hand k1200s and k1300s on the floor

Bike
    RSV4RR, M109R, ZX10R
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by BMWST? View Post
    motomart have a second hand k1200s and k1300s on the floor
    Yes I have had a sit on the white K13. I like it but not in the white colour. Im taking the MT in for a trade valuation this weekend so ill see if I can take it for a ride.
    To get a new one ill need pay a 2k deposit and get it bought into NZ with a 3 to 4 week wait. Im keen on the 2013 silver and black model which is 33600 plus 1800 extra features upgrade less 3k factory rebate. The rebate only runs to the end of this month but the expected next price list on the 2013 models is almost the same as the rebate price. This isnt confirmed yet.

Bike
    All of them
    Yeah and i like the look but the 300kg wet seems a bit much to enjoy the sports aspect and seems very touring only.
    Nah. It'll keep up with anything on the road and do it easy. It only feels heavy when you are pushing it around the garage.

The BMW is very nice too.

Bike
    RSV4RR, M109R, ZX10R
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Big Dave View Post
    Nah. It'll keep up with anything on the road and do it easy. It only feels heavy when you are pushing it around the garage.

The BMW is very nice too.
    With the con at 27.5k and beemer at 32k would you think the bmw was worth the extra coin. im wondering if the beemer would hold greater than the extra 4k value when resold at 5 year old.

Resale later would suggest the con might return 50% but the bmw might return 60%.

Do yo think the bmw is a better bike by 4k or just apple and pears compared? The reason I ask is I don like the look of the con both with and without luggage, very much so in the dark blue.

Bike
    You might want to add a Ducati Multistrada to the list to check out. Motomart has a demo available.

Bike
    CB919, 1090R, R1200GSA
    Blog Entries
    To compare fairly, you have to look at Concours v R1200RT and ZX14 vs K1300S.

Is the K equipped with ESA? Pros and cons, but it's another factor, then again, the Concours has come a long way since it's initial debut.

Ride them! Coz at the end of the day, you must enjoy it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jane Omorogbe from UK MSN on the KTM990SM
    It's barking mad and if it doesn't turn you into a complete loon within half an hour of cocking a leg over the lofty 875mm seat height, I'll eat my Arai.

Bike
    RSV4RR, M109R, ZX10R
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Ender EnZed View Post
    You might want to add a Ducati Multistrada to the list to check out. Motomart has a demo available.
    Nice but not as suited to 2 up touring and scratching and not enough fairings for an aged Mossy. A number of years ago and with a wife that wasnt into distance rides I would.

Bike
    RSV4RR, M109R, ZX10R
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Gremlin View Post
    To compare fairly, you have to look at Concours v R1200RT and ZX14 vs K1300S.

Is the K equipped with ESA? Pros and cons, but it's another factor, then again, the Concours has come a long way since it's initial debut.

Ride them! Coz at the end of the day, you must enjoy it.
    The K has all the bells at base figure plus 1800 (quick shift esa etc)but the base bike isnt in stock in Australia so its fully optioned at 32k approx or HP version(carbon and akro pipe etc) at 40k.

The r1200rt im not into and the zx14r is in the picture but at 218hp its a little over the top but does have good seating and comfort. The K1300s would be closer to the zx14r. The extra weight of the con makes me think scratching ability when im one up is a little limited but saying that I ride 110clicks max and dont hit the Hill at speed. zx would be fun at the quarter miles though.

Bike
    KTM 890 Adventure
    The K has all the bells at base figure plus 1800 (quick shift esa etc)but the base bike isnt in stock in Australia so its fully optioned at 32k approx or HP version(carbon and akro pipe etc) at 40k.

The r1200rt im not into and the zx14r is in the picture but at 218hp its a little over the top but does have good seating and comfort. The K1300s would be closer to the zx14r. The extra weight of the con makes me think scratching ability when im one up is a little limited but saying that I ride 110clicks max and dont hit the Hill at speed. zx would be fun at the quarter miles though.
    From the selection so far I'd take the K1300S, very competent and smooth piece of kit.

But I think you should try that multistrada. Both of you.
    Go soothingly on the grease mud, as there lurks the skid demon

Bike
    Nice but not as suited to 2 up touring and scratching and not enough fairings for an aged Mossy. A number of years ago and with a wife that wasnt into distance rides I would.
    Have you read the reviews on them? I haven't ridden one myself but they sound pretty well suited to what you're after, and at $27.5k you'd have a bit left in your budget for fine tuning.

http://www.motorcyclenews.com/MCN/Ne...a-what-a-year/

Bike
    RSV4RR, M109R, ZX10R
    Blog Entries
    The multi isnt what we are after. Idd do a april hyper 1200 motard and a restored gsxr1100 or blackbird before the multi but im not riding enough one up to have 2 regos and insurance policies. The Multi is a bit exposed for the long trips. im having issues with the wind and cold on the MT01 hence the want to upgrade to full faing. We toured on the MT and although it was fun it was hard on the wife. The trailer was good but towing I guess makes my 260kg MT a concours and a bit all up.

Bike
    CB919, 1090R, R1200GSA
    Blog Entries
    Standard practise in NZ. In UK/US etc, you can have the option of spec'ing the bike exactly how you want it. Due to the size of the market, we simply get the top model, as the work they've done says that those in their market buying bikes don't go base model, and take bells and whistles. My insurance got caught out like that, so I had to lay out exactly how the value worked, as they initially tried to price against a $30k base GS, whereas the full optioned GSA is $40k (or was before these rebates).

Stuff like ABS/ESA/TPM etc has to be factory fitted, no chance of retro-fitting most of it. Stuff like carbon and akra are easy bolt ons vs programming of ECU, the extra buttons etc.

edit: Oh, one thing you definitely must consider, if buying new now, factor in stuff like ABS. It's becoming standard, so wouldn't want to be buying something without ABS (Blackbird etc).
    Quote Originally Posted by Jane Omorogbe from UK MSN on the KTM990SM
    It's barking mad and if it doesn't turn you into a complete loon within half an hour of cocking a leg over the lofty 875mm seat height, I'll eat my Arai.

Thread Information