Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Searching the touring bikes

Bike
    RSV4RR, M109R, ZX10R
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Gremlin View Post
    Standard practise in NZ. In UK/US etc, you can have the option of spec'ing the bike exactly how you want it. Due to the size of the market, we simply get the top model, as the work they've done says that those in their market buying bikes don't go base model, and take bells and whistles. My insurance got caught out like that, so I had to lay out exactly how the value worked, as they initially tried to price against a $30k base GS, whereas the full optioned GSA is $40k (or was before these rebates).

Stuff like ABS/ESA/TPM etc has to be factory fitted, no chance of retro-fitting most of it. Stuff like carbon and akra are easy bolt ons vs programming of ECU, the extra buttons etc.

edit: Oh, one thing you definitely must consider, if buying new now, factor in stuff like ABS. It's becoming standard, so wouldn't want to be buying something without ABS (Blackbird etc).

Nothing against blackbirds but I have already owned one and your correct its now 1997 style bike with no development and doesnt suit a new bike buyer today unless on a budget under 17k. Im not sure blackbirds are even being sold new. I think vfr1200 that was overpriced and now reduced to 23k is hondas sport touring bike.
    All the write ups suggest the vfr is the closest bike to the bmw and some suggest its more suited to scratching than the bmw for feedback etc. The build quality is ment to be as good but im not sure about the hondas looks. Its not the best looking bike to me.
    I have evolved as a KB member.Now nothing I say should be taken seriously.

Bike
    All of them
    Quote Originally Posted by mossy1200 View Post

apple and pears compared?
    Yeah, somewhat - everyone has different circumstances so value judgements are an individual thing.

Physically the K1300S has a much more agressive (sporty) riding position and less bodywork. I didn't find it as comfy as the Connie - then there aren't many bikes I have found as comfy as it - but I am tall.

The FJR is pretty good comfort-wise too. It just didn't sing as loudly to me as the Kawa did.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	connierear.jpg 
Views:	19 
Size:	168.5 KB 
ID:	270600

Blackbird I found plain uncomfortable. VFR1200 OTOH quite good. I really like that bike too. Fuel range is its achilles if you are planning lots of long rides. Fine for a day tripper.

Bike
    RSV4RR, M109R, ZX10R
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Big Dave View Post
    Yeah, somewhat - everyone has different circumstances so value judgements are an individual thing.

Physically the K1300S has a much more agressive (sporty) riding position and less bodywork. I didn't find it as comfy as the Connie - then there aren't many bikes I have found as comfy as it - but I am tall.

The FJR is pretty good comfort-wise too. It just didn't sing as loudly to me as the Kawa did.

Blackbird I found plain uncomfortable. VFR1200 OTOH quite good. I really like that bike too. Fuel range is its achilles if you are planning lots of long rides. Fine for a day tripper.
    Im getting offered what I would think is a very low trade in on the bmw at this stage which doesnt help when the purchase price is very high.
    The trade in on the Connie at a different shop is almost 3 k higher along with the lower purchase price makes it even more attractive.
    Saying that I have reduced my trade me value and trying to sell private first.

I think I have the price correct. what do you think?

http://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/List...x?id=516387466
    Last edited by Gremlin; 25th September 2012 at 22:01. Reason: Quoted Embedded Media Removed

Bike
    All of them
    I don't really know, sorry. My gig comes with list prices.

Nice unit. Low K's in its favour. Gut feel is it wouldn't attract a quick sale, but would go if you find someone keen for that model. Expert I ain't.

Bike
    RSV4RR, M109R, ZX10R
    Blog Entries
    I don't really know, sorry. My gig comes with list prices.

Nice unit. Low K's in its favour. Gut feel is it wouldn't attract a quick sale, but would go if you find someone keen for that model. Expert I ain't.
    Yeah. Needs the correct buyer. It turns heads everywhere it goes and has over 3k in extras. They seem to sell for over 14k in shops with more kms but the trade offer I got was 10k compared to 13k from a different shop. It may be the markup on the BMW is very low and the concours margin is alot better but 10k seems super low.

Bike
    All of them
    FWIW I'd also check some of the large adventure tourers too. Protection is good, comfort for two excellent and they suit the roads and conditions in NZ admirably.

GS, Tigers, V Strom, Tenere, new Hondas - all do the business.

Bike
    None any more
    FWIW I'd also check some of the large adventure tourers too.
    Indeed, including my favourite the KTM 990SMT.
    "Standing on your mother's corpse you told me that you'd wait forever." [Bryan Adams: Summer of 69]

Bike
    Concours 14, S10
    There is only one choice...

83,000km on my Connie and looking forward to the next 83,000. Some riders put Ninja stickers on 'em...

Bike
    K1300R
    No mention of the Sprint GT?
    Whats he building in there??

Bike
    RSV4RR, M109R, ZX10R
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by raziel1983 View Post
    No mention of the Sprint GT?
    Im not that keen on the triumph.

My wife likes the look of the zx14r and the connie. Both in Black.
    So they are on the short list as I like both.

I need to get the new home purchase sorted prior buying the bike or I will change the pre approval figures etc so I have time to trial them all.

There will be a demo K1300s in wellington on October 15th so ill take her out on that. I wont be trading the MT for 10k so idd need sell it to get the beemer. Funny thing is she seems to not like the look of the BMW compared to the 2 Kwakas.

Bike
    RSV4RR, M109R, ZX10R
    Blog Entries
    I must admit. I went for a look at a few bikes today and had a sit and the zxr14r was the perfect fit for me in leg space and arm reach. The pegs were in the correct spot. It seemed to have the best build quality also. The 2nd hand bmw k13 didnt have a great finish to it in some places. Most notably the top tripple clamp area that had unfinished edges and a cheap look to them. It doesnt help thats the bit you see when sitting on it. The bmw seat was nice and soft but not as wide. I guess being 6.4 the wide seats on some bikes doesnt effect having my feet down when stationary.

ZX14r is at the top of the list now and since the one at the shop is a demo ill take Sue out on it next weekend.
    Dont like the green but they come in Black.

Bike
    R1200RT LC
    Quote Originally Posted by Hitcher View Post
    There is only one "perfect" sports touring bike. It's made by Yamaha. It is the FJR1300. Nothing else comes close in performance terms..
    Remember that personal preference means a whole lot. My perfect sports tourer would be an R1200RT. Personal preference. I respect Hitchers views, just don't agree.

So there.

Bike
    KTM 890 Adventure
    Quote Originally Posted by rastuscat View Post
    I respect Hitchers views, just don't agree.
    He's such a slut. He'll be bike shopping as we ...er... type and my money's that he'll end up with that KTM.

If I don't find it first.
    Go soothingly on the grease mud, as there lurks the skid demon

Bike
    R1200RT LC
    Rode a 6 month old 1200RT today, SE model. 10000 km on the clock.

I've ridden RTs a lot (guess my job) but the DOHC version I rode today with all the fruit was head and shoulders better than the ones we ride. Better colour too.

ESA, ABS blah blah blah. Suspension adjust on the fly. Stereo system. All the fruit.

Fecking gorgeous. I was looking at a Con on TM, but I'll be saving my pennies for an RT.

Very personal preference. It's the nature of bikers, very brand loyal. Well, some are.

Bike
    CB919, 1090R, R1200GSA
    Blog Entries
    The RT-P gets a different sort of fruit of course, but yes, my understanding is that the RT-P gets less of the stuff like ESA.

You should have stuff like the fan behind the radiator (for a lot of traffic work), but you'd have to fit that to the civilian version. Always had a soft spot for the RT, but some actually choose the GSA over the RT for touring, and since I do adventure riding and a couple of decades too young for an RT, the GSA it is!
    Quote Originally Posted by Jane Omorogbe from UK MSN on the KTM990SM
    It's barking mad and if it doesn't turn you into a complete loon within half an hour of cocking a leg over the lofty 875mm seat height, I'll eat my Arai.

Thread Information