Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Searching the touring bikes

Bike
    RSV4RR, M109R, ZX10R
    Blog Entries

Searching the touring bikes

Just looking for a new bike.
    Looking for the perfect 2 up sports touring bike.
    Going to be buying a house so this is last chance to buy a bike to keep for 5 years so needs to be a good one.
    Interested in new not second hand

List so far after searching online for reviews.

BMW K1300s well in front. 30k approx so is up on price. Would rather spend less but sports touring selection is hard.

ZX14r. Something says great bike but I want it for 5 years.

Kawasaki Contours 1400. The 300kg weight is a issue as it seems to be to far away from sports for me but I do like the look of them.

VFR1200. Good reviews but im not crazy on the looks.

Busa. Never been into them or even riden one so im not sure.

Maybe theres more options but im after ample seats and fairings. Also optional hard luggage.
    Any advice from those who have late model sports touring bikes that arnt full touring bikes.
    does anyone know someone that has a BMWK1300s

http://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/List...x?id=516387466 This is my trade if any shop sales guys spot the thread.
    I have evolved as a KB member.Now nothing I say should be taken seriously.

Bike
    ducati 900ss f650
    I would look at blackbirds (cbr1100xx)

http://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/List...x?id=514185834

Bike
    RSV4RR, M109R, ZX10R
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Rhys View Post
    I would look at blackbirds (cbr1000xx)

I owned one 6 or seven bikes ago and found it ok at most things but idd rather put more money in on something with newer techno gadgets.
    i have a budget of up to 35 but like to stay on or under 30 so I can put 5k away for a rainy buy a motard day after the wifes $*&ole loosens up again.

I wasnt aware they still made them.

Bike
    Sold
    Quote Originally Posted by Rhys View Post
    I would look at blackbirds (cbr1000xx)

Had mine for 8 years and they're unburstable. You need to spend about $2000 extra to make it perfect with upgraded suspension and a more comfortable seat. The motors last for over 300,000 km with only a cam chain tensioner change now and then.

Bike
    RSV4RR, M109R, ZX10R
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Blackbird View Post
    Had mine for 8 years and they're unburstable. You need to spend about $2000 extra to make it perfect with upgraded suspension and a more comfortable seat. The motors last for over 300,000 km with only a cam chain tensioner change now and then.
    Agree with suspension as I wore the fairings away. Im after a higher value bike to keep me happy for 5 years and the cbr is a older design now. The blackbird for some reason was a back killer when riding 2 up for me also. 3 days into a tour I could barely walk. it may have been I strained it doing other things or even a motel bed and riding kept it bad the whole trip.

Bike
    CB919, 1090R, R1200GSA
    Blog Entries
    BMW currently have factory rebates running, you're looking at $3k off on a K1300S currently. I'd reckon these rebates make the bikes excellent value, BMW has a lot of experience in the gadget section, so you're getting good ABS, ASC etc. I'm biased as I own a BMW I guess.

Haven't ridden any you're looking at, the K1300S is certainly a monster of a bike, wicked fast etc. To throw a spanner in the works, if you've considered a Concours, what about an R1200RT? K1300S/ZX14R are definitely more sports, Concours/R1200RT are more tourers, but would be better suited to 2up touring etc. Still not full dressed as such, like the K1600GT, but then again, it depends what sort of riding you're going to do, and a good rider will make most of them corner well. Some would also recommend the FJR1300.

Equally, plenty go for an R1200GS, finding it plenty suitable for touring, more versatile and more upright. Even heard recently someone bought the R1200GSA for touring as they liked the large range.

The VFR1200R, been expensive and not selling well, but means you can pick them up for a bargain, even brand new. Heard from one owner there are problems with the fuel gauge, but Honda is saying no problem. New bikes would come with a 2 year warranty I'd expect, if you're looking to own for 5+ years then something proven would be my pick, ie, boxer motor is well refined. Depends if you like the power delivery etc.

Ultimately, while a cop out, you have to go ride them, see if the ergonomics work for you. Is the seat the right height, comfortable, also take it out 2up, as you want her to be comfortable. Make a list of essentials you want to have, then likes, see what matches and if you like the ride.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jane Omorogbe from UK MSN on the KTM990SM
    It's barking mad and if it doesn't turn you into a complete loon within half an hour of cocking a leg over the lofty 875mm seat height, I'll eat my Arai.

Bike
    RSV4RR, M109R, ZX10R
    Blog Entries
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	fzr 002 80.jpg 
Views:	31 
Size:	399.7 KB 
ID:	270550
    Quote Originally Posted by Gremlin View Post
    BMW currently have factory rebates running, you're looking at $3k off on a K1300S currently. I'd reckon these rebates make the bikes excellent value, BMW has a lot of experience in the gadget section, so you're getting good ABS, ASC etc. I'm biased as I own a BMW I guess.

Haven't ridden any you're looking at, the K1300S is certainly a monster of a bike, wicked fast etc. To throw a spanner in the works, if you've considered a Concours, what about an R1200RT? .......................take it out 2up, as you want her to be comfortable. Make a list of essentials you want to have, then likes, see what matches and if you like the ride.

Thanks Grem. We had a BMWr1200s but sold it to fund racing and it was the most missed bike. Even though it didnt look like a 2 up bike it was the one the wife liked the most even over zx12 and blackbird for comfort.

Im lucky at the moment that there is a second hand k1300s at the shop that I can take for a ride with the wife to trial. Only issue is its white and Im not into that colour but I can ride it and order a new one if needed. Ill trial a rt also. They may be just a fraction to much tour without the sport but ill give one a go.

Bike
    None any more
    There is only one "perfect" sports touring bike. It's made by Yamaha. It is the FJR1300. Nothing else comes close in performance terms. The engine is a peach that goes like a cut cat on a hot tin roof, if you want. Brakes are just magic. Standard suspension is better than average.

They have the best luggage system in this class in terms of functionality and space. The pillion quarters are best of breed. The fuel efficiency is mind numbing -- 18+ km per litre, fully laden and two up.

I have just spent two weeks in Australia on one clocking up 4,500km and reacquainting myself with a bike model I previously owned and loved.
    "Standing on your mother's corpse you told me that you'd wait forever." [Bryan Adams: Summer of 69]

Bike
    Pillion
    We loved the Busa and regret selling it but have had two (one is current bike) GSX 1400's and are great two up. Very comfy, pillion not too high and plenty of room for both of us. Good size tank. My partner had only ever owned new bikes before but this was a great purchase $8k and only 7000km on clock
    It is entirely possible to teach an old blond new tricks!!!

Bike
    All of them
    I've tested everything mentioned so far.

Connie 1400 would be my choice of that lot for touring on.

Bike
    Had a 2007 Suzuki C50T Boulevard
    Quote Originally Posted by Big Dave View Post

My only concern with the big bikes is that they are really comfy and relaxed cruising at 160km/h+.

My C50T was relaxing and comfy at 100km/h+...
    You don't get to be an old dog without learning a few tricks.
    Shorai Powersports batteries are very trick!

Bike
    RSV4RR, M109R, ZX10R
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Hitcher View Post
    There is only one "perfect" sports touring bike. It's made by Yamaha. It is the FJR1300. Nothing else comes close in performance terms. The engine is a peach that goes like a cut cat on a hot tin roof, if you want. Brakes are just magic. Standard suspension is better than average.

They have the best luggage system in this class in terms of functionality and space. The pillion quarters are best of breed. The fuel efficiency is mind numbing -- 18+ km per litre, fully laden and two up.

I have just spent two weeks in Australia on one clocking up 4,500km and reacquainting myself with a bike model I previously owned and loved.

I see they are at 23k, down from almost 30k so ill add to the list and see if I can get on a demo.

Bike
    RSV4RR, M109R, ZX10R
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Edbear View Post
    My only concern with the big bikes is that they are really comfy and relaxed cruising at 160km/h+.

My C50T was relaxing and comfy at 100km/h+...

Have had a big cruiser and its not for me. After good seats and wind protection plus the ability to scratch ride. Want a bike thats semi sports but with a good serving of back seat comfort also. My arms are long enough to ride a S/T at a hundred odd without being tiring.

Bike
    Had a 2007 Suzuki C50T Boulevard
    Quote Originally Posted by mossy1200 View Post
    Have had a big cruiser and its not for me. After good seats and wind protection plus the ability to scratch ride. Want a bike thats semi sports but with a good serving of back seat comfort also. My arms are long enough to ride a S/T at a hundred odd without being tiring.
    Yeah, finding something like the Connie at smaller sizes is not easy. Only one I can really think of is the old Honda PC800.
    You don't get to be an old dog without learning a few tricks.
    Shorai Powersports batteries are very trick!

Bike
    RSV4RR, M109R, ZX10R
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Big Dave View Post

Yeah and i like the look but the 300kg wet seems a bit much to enjoy the sports aspect and seems very touring only. 27k seems expensive for the touring version of a zx14?? Maybe that price will drop soon.
    At the price the fjr is running idd have change to get a motard play bike is a option but im not keen on 2 regos and 2 times insurance.

Thread Information