Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: School zones, speed and at what times?

Bike
    It was on the good
    I remember seeing quite a few "Slow. Children." signs when I lived in Wellington. I never thought it was related to speeds though, just the spazoid kids.

Bike
    1994 Kawasaki ZZR1100
    My brother once collected a woman who stepped out between two parked cars.
    The police totally exonerated him from all blame, but he was still shaking like a leaf for two days. He thought he had killed the woman who was in hospital at that time. Fortunately she did in fact make a full recovery & it did not take too long. Since then I have watched several people die as a result of car crashes etc.

My point here is that collecting a pedestrian, including a kid is a very real possibility for all of us. I don't always obey the letter of the law, but it is there for a reason, and so are traffic warnings. Do any of you really want to go to bed tonight knowing that you have killed or maimed somebody, whoever is at fault? I don't, and I am not sure I want to jest too much about this one because it could happen.

Have you watched a few injured people die yet? Taking another life even by accident may ruin yours. I have watched this happen to others & come a bit close to it myself. Please think about all this & act responsibly.
    [Not my favourite topic this]

Bike
    It was on the good
    Quote Originally Posted by sootie View Post
    My point here is that collecting a pedestrian, including a kid is a very real possibility for all of us. I don't always obey the letter of the law, but it is there for a reason, and so are traffic warnings. Do any of you really want to go to bed tonight knowing that you have killed or maimed somebody, whoever is at fault? I don't, and I am not sure I want to jest too much about this one because it could happen.
    You need to take your serious hat off. The OP was seeking clarification over something which is a good thing because they were wrong.

Bike
    1994 Kawasaki ZZR1100
    Quote Originally Posted by Berries View Post
    You need to take your serious hat off. The OP was seeking clarification over something which is a good thing because they were wrong.
    Maybe, but if people are paying for & erecting signs, what happened to cause that?
    Probably the wrong thread for me Berries! Shall back on out of here.

Bike
    CB919, 1090R, R1200GSA
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by sootie View Post
    Taking it a bit off topic... but I presume you don't ride in the Auckland CBD... I swear to god there are tons of pedestrians that WANT to be collected. Playing with your [insert electronic toy] and stepping onto the road without looking? Dawdling on the road and not looking for traffic?

/rant
    Quote Originally Posted by Jane Omorogbe from UK MSN on the KTM990SM
    It's barking mad and if it doesn't turn you into a complete loon within half an hour of cocking a leg over the lofty 875mm seat height, I'll eat my Arai.

Bike
    2006 Kawasaki ER-6n, 2009 CT110, NBC110
    Quote Originally Posted by rastuscat View Post
    The only thing that changes is the tolerance applied by the Police. It's 10 kmh per usual, but it drops to 4 kmh duriong the school hours.

See the times here

https://www.police.govt.nz/service/r...ills-kids.html
    I just want to add, unless my girlfriend is an exception, you will get ticketed if you are doing 54km/h, not 55km/h like that link might lead you to believe. This is in a 50km/h school zone of course.

Bike
    R1200RT LC
    Quote Originally Posted by Jizah View Post
    I just want to add, unless my girlfriend is an exception, you will get ticketed if you are doing 54km/h, not 55km/h like that link might lead you to believe. This is in a 50km/h school zone of course.
    The overriding policy has always been that the speed limit is the speed limit. Warnings are entirely at the discretion of the officer dealing with the infringement.

The stated tolerances are always a guideline. To expect a tolerance is dancing with fate.

I have no idea of the circumstances in which the ticket for 54 was written, so can't comment on that.

Bike
    2006 Kawasaki ER-6n, 2009 CT110, NBC110
    The overriding policy has always been that the speed limit is the speed limit. Warnings are entirely at the discretion of the officer dealing with the infringement.

The stated tolerances are always a guideline. To expect a tolerance is dancing with fate.

I have no idea of the circumstances in which the ticket for 54 was written, so can't comment on that.
    It was from a speed camera van in Lower Hutt. I probably should have mentioned that.

Bike
    1993 Yamaha FJ 1200
    Blog Entries

I got one for 103 ... he was in a generous mood. I was doing 140+ ...
    When life throws you a curve ... Lean into it ...

Thread Information