Thread: 50cc scooter not accelerating from stop?

Bike
    1988 Honda Beat

50cc scooter not accelerating from stop?

Hello! I'm looking for some advice on what might be wrong with my beloved 1988 Honda Beat.

Backstory:
    It was funning fine, then one day it wasn't starting, so I took it into Scootling. They did a diagnosis, found the battery flat (duh) and charged it.

It starts now, but has a very hard time accelerating from a stop, and simply can't if there's even the slightest incline.

It revs low when it's failing to accelerate, and one time stalled (at the Symonds St - K Rd intersection: not cool!).

I've emailed Scootling about it, and are happy to take it back for another diagnosis at another $83/hr, plus whatever it will cost to fix the issue. Bit short of moolah at the moment, so I would like to avoid this.

Can anyone think of what might be the problem? I got a brother who can do mechanical stuff, though he's not particularly automotive savvy. Any help would be appreciated!

Bike
    1993 Yamaha FJ 1200
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by sheepgoesbaaa View Post
    Backstory:
    It was funning fine, then one day it wasn't starting, so I took it into Scootling. They did a diagnosis, found the battery flat (duh) and charged it.

It starts now, but has a very hard time accelerating from a stop, and simply can't if there's even the slightest incline.

It revs low when it's failing to accelerate, and one time stalled (at the Symonds St - K Rd intersection: not cool!).
    Battery was flat. Most likely because it wasn't getting charged as the engine ran. The charging system is most likely poked. An auto electrician could confirm in a few minutes.

Not accelerating would mean that it is not getting the full power to feed the sparkplug ... Flat battery will mean your indicators won't work (do you use them .. ??) and neither will your tail light (have you looked to see if it works .. ??)
    When life throws you a curve ... Lean into it ...

Bike
    RMZ 450, F4RGVGP125

Have you tried with it in the go position?
    Member #3164 of the SHITMARK haters club.

Bike
    1993 Yamaha FJ 1200
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by driftn View Post

Have you tried with it in the go position?
    They have a go position ... ???

But if sheepgoesbaa cleans the sparkplug, and cleans the air filter ... the chance of improvement is better.

Bike
    2017 Suzuki Dl1000
    I think you identified the problem with the words "50cc scooter "

They are not designed to accelerate.
    Time to ride

Bike
    1988 Honda Beat
    Okay, so to solve the problem, what I need to do is check the charging system out with an auto-electrician, clean the sparkplug and air filter, then throw it out and buy a real bike?

Quote Originally Posted by FJRider View Post
    Not accelerating would mean that it is not getting the full power to feed the sparkplug ... Flat battery will mean your indicators won't work (do you use them .. ??) and neither will your tail light (have you looked to see if it works .. ??)
    Haha yes, the indicators were working fine. I believe they even worked after it stalled at the lights, at least they were lighting up on the dash: I was a bit too distracted to check the lights themselves. I assumed they would work as the battery issue was supposed to be fixed and tested. I haven't checked out the taillights for the same reason. Will do that ASAP, thanks for the lead.

Bike
    1993 Yamaha FJ 1200
    Blog Entries
    Okay, so to solve the problem, what I need to do is check the charging system out with an auto-electrician, clean the sparkplug and air filter, then throw it out and buy a real bike?
    Clean the sparkplug (or even better buy a new one) and clean the air filter first. You may get lucky ...

no ... SELL it and buy a real bike ...

Haha yes, the indicators were working fine. I believe they even worked after it stalled at the lights, at least they were lighting up on the dash: I was a bit too distracted to check the lights themselves. I assumed they would work as the battery issue was supposed to be fixed and tested. I haven't checked out the taillights for the same reason. Will do that ASAP, thanks for the lead.
    All lights working is a good sign.

Bike
    2005 Custom Moped
    most scooters the lights work on AC the battery is DC
    Its an old scooter and parts and labour aint cheap

Bike
    '69 Lambretta & SR400
    1988? I wouldn't be surprised if the rollers in the variator are practically square by now. You can get all kinds of weird symptoms if the CVT isn't adjusting smoothly, and it sounds to me like you're stuck with the gearing too high.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave Lobster View Post
    Only a homo puts an engine back together WITHOUT making it go faster.

Bike
    So old you won't care
    Quote Originally Posted by MisterD View Post
    1988? I wouldn't be surprised if the rollers in the variator are practically square by now. You can get all kinds of weird symptoms if the CVT isn't adjusting smoothly, and it sounds to me like you're stuck with the gearing too high.
    When I started reading that I thought it was going to be a star trek type piss take and then I realised your were serious and probably correct...

Zounds.... Now I want a variator.... Do you need to host a party at home to get one?

Bike
    '69 Lambretta & SR400
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul in NZ View Post
    Zounds.... Now I want a variator.... Do you need to host a party at home to get one?
    I might have a Piaggio one somewhere around, I've got a bag of standard bits that came off my old ET4 when I bunged some Malossi at it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave Lobster View Post
    Only a homo puts an engine back together WITHOUT making it go faster.

Bike
    1970 Vespa ss90
    Quote Originally Posted by MisterD View Post
    I agree.
    Very few people bother with the Variators until they give the exact same symptom you are describing.

If you are confident with tools and able to follow clear instructions, I am happy to write a few lines on what to do.

You can buy all the 1 special tool you need for less than $82, and have change for a Happy Meal, a Bus Fare, and a Packet of Blue Bird Spring Onion Chips.

Bike
    big shiney pommy thing
    Also a blocked exhaust can cause this you may need to burn it out

Thread Information