Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: SV650 engine in VFR400 frame progress

Bike
    1992 VFR400R, 2007 SV650 Pro Twin

SV650 engine in VFR400 frame progress

Custom engine mounts welded to frame, engine installed, suspension reinstalled.

Now hurdles to overcome:
    Need somewhere to put radiator/s.
    Need to get an exhaust fabricated to suit the VFR frame.
    Front forks from the VFR are in terrible condition.
    Brakes need a lot of work too, and I don't have any discs.
    Have to figure out how to run the loom.

Jason

Bike
    Street Triple R
    the first thing I thought was "Where the hell are the rads going to go?" SP1 style beside the motor? You'd need a custom fairing to duct air through it though.

Have a look on 400greybike at the build threads, there is at least one there dealing with a full CB600 front end transplant: not sure if it included the yokes or they were custom. from memory, the thing was almost a straight boltup. You might pick something more modern up for the cost of a full fork rebuild on the NC30 forks: for a bit more you might get USD, radial brakes, a lighter wheel etc. I have been looking for a decent second hand set now for a while: they dont come up very often. I love builds like this: please keep th thread updated

great job so far: how much of a pain in the arse was fabricating the mounts and welding them on? How did you go with chain alignment? did you heat treat the frame after welding?
    I thought elections were decided by angry posts on social media. - F5 Dave

Bike
    CBR450RR
    Blog Entries
    Good stuff.

Thought you'd be further along by now but still, it's progress.

You're definitely going to need a heat shield for the rear shock. Otherwise it'll cook the fluid in 2 laps.

The rear exhaust is going to be a bit of a prick most likely. I'm guessing you can't route it the same way the originals were?

Firestorm style radiators or Britten style underseat, although the latter requires ducting.
    Zen wisdom: No matter what happens, somebody will find a way to take it too seriously. - obviously had KB in mind when he came up with that gem

Artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity

Bike
    I'm going to look at Motorcross radiators and try and mount them either side of the head.
    Going to just use standard suspension for now and worry about that at a later date I decided tonight. I had a look at a whole range of front end options, and I think it's best not to mess with the VFR geometry, and just sort out spring rates and dampening once the bike is running.
    I have a good friend who works as an engineer and I was living in his house with a mill and a lathe in the garage. He did most of the design and fabrication and I only really got involved when filing and hacksawing needed doing as I don't want to learn how to mill and lathe on his equipment. He's pretty quick too. We sat the engine on a couple of blocks and lowered the frame over the engine, and lined up the sprockets as best we could and measured where to put the first mount on. Then we put the frame on the mill and used that to line it up perfectly and fabricated the first mount and stuck it to the frame with clamps, and he tack welded them. Then mounted the frame on the engine again and worked out the next set of mounts positions, put it on the mill again and cut the bits out of the frame we needed to and installed the custom mounts, 1 set of the mounts were plugs in the frame and the other were cylinders welded to the bottom of the frame (so the frame is a little lower than original because the engine is taller center of gravity still about the same. The last mounts were plate and cylinder ones welded to the frame square section about halfway towards the head.

The mount fabrication and installation and frame modifications were an absolute mission and I would not recommend anyone to follow in our footsteps, but I do think the hardest part of the job is done, and it's all comparatively straight forward from here, still it's going to be a long slow labour of love.

No we didn't heat treat it after the welding. The welding was done by a robotics installation workshop for me and the resident expert didn't recommend heat treating, but he didn't not recommend it either. I think it's more important for stainless than aluminium though. I'm very happy with how the engine is mounted in the frame and the sprockets line up, and the weight distribution. This was the make or break part of this hybrid creation.

Jason

Quote Originally Posted by HenryDorsetCase View Post
    the first thing I thought was "Where the hell are the rads going to go?" SP1 style beside the motor? You'd need a custom fairing to duct air through it though.

Have a look on 400greybike at the build threads, there is at least one there dealing with a full CB600 front end transplant: not sure if it included the yokes or they were custom. from memory, the thing was almost a straight boltup. You might pick something more modern up for the cost of a full fork rebuild on the NC30 forks: for a bit more you might get USD, radial brakes, a lighter wheel etc. I have been looking for a decent second hand set now for a while: they dont come up very often. I love builds like this: please keep th thread updated

great job so far: how much of a pain in the arse was fabricating the mounts and welding them on? How did you go with chain alignment? did you heat treat the frame after welding?

Bike
    Hey man don't put pressure on me, good things take time.
    Haven't thought much about the exhaust yet. Figured if they can get 4 cylinders exhausted in that space I should be able to get two.
    Yeah man, also considering underseat radiators, will see how we get on with up fronts first.

How's your Honda CBR600/450 build going?

Jason

Quote Originally Posted by Mental Trousers View Post
    Good stuff.

Thought you'd be further along by now but still, it's progress.

You're definitely going to need a heat shield for the rear shock. Otherwise it'll cook the fluid in 2 laps.

The rear exhaust is going to be a bit of a prick most likely. I'm guessing you can't route it the same way the originals were?

Firestorm style radiators or Britten style underseat, although the latter requires ducting.

Bike
    Exxon Valdez
    Rear head seems to be nice and high, run the pipe straight back under the tail from there, and the front one under slung.

MX radiators prolly not big enough, SP1 styles for the win methinks.

Fuckin cool build!

Bike
    Quote Originally Posted by Drew View Post
    Rear head seems to be nice and high, run the pipe straight back under the tail from there, and the front one under slung.

MX radiators prolly not big enough, SP1 styles for the win methinks.

Fuckin cool build!
    Thanks for the advice Drew. I have VFR race fairings that I was hoping to use, but you are probably right, most likely end up putting them on the side. Are you sure 2x Motorcross radiators wouldn't be enough?

Bike
    Exxon Valdez
    Quote Originally Posted by vtec View Post
    Thanks for the advice Drew. I have VFR race fairings that I was hoping to use, but you are probably right, most likely end up putting them on the side. Are you sure 2x Motorcross radiators wouldn't be enough?
    They run real low volume to keep the weight down on MX bikes, just doesn't seem like the best plan.

SP1 style doesn't mean the radiators have to come from an SP1. Couple small rads off any number of bikes could be the go.

Bike
    Thumpapotamus
    https://www.allballsracing.com/index.php/forkconversion

might be handy if swapping front end.

You wont need a large radiator unless you plan to sit in traffic.

As you've got a SSSA the exhaust will be a bit easier.

I like Sam's TL1000S, he's got an awesome bike there. tlzone is a good place for ideas.

http://www.tlzone.net/forums/bike-pi...last-year.html

Bike
    CBR450RR
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by vtec View Post
    Hey man don't put pressure on me, good things take time.
    Haven't thought much about the exhaust yet. Figured if they can get 4 cylinders exhausted in that space I should be able to get two.
    Yeah man, also considering underseat radiators, will see how we get on with up fronts first.

How's your Honda CBR600/450 build going?

Jason
    heh, I wanna see it racing mate. I like bike builds that aren't as the manufacturer intended.

The 450 is all but ready. Dennis has finished going over the suspension (cos it was sitting for 4.5 years ALL of the seals were weeping etc) and I just have to pick it up. I've got to sort the gear linkage and install the quick shifter and she's done. Fairings are off being painted. Problem is the first ride will be at the Vic Club final round so no chance to get used to it.
    Zen wisdom: No matter what happens, somebody will find a way to take it too seriously. - obviously had KB in mind when he came up with that gem

Bike
    Exercycle
    The big question for me is - does the standard airbox fit ?

Bike
    Street Triple R
    Quote Originally Posted by Grumph View Post
    The big question for me is - does the standard airbox fit ?
    an NC30 airbox would because it would sit in front of that rear cylinder head. It would do you fuckall good though, given where the NC30 intakes are vs this....
    I thought elections were decided by angry posts on social media. - F5 Dave

Bike
    Exercycle
    I'll restate it - does the standard SV650 airbox fit ?

Given the F3 rules, if it doesn't it's a pointless build....

Bike
    CBR450RR
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Grumph View Post
    I'll restate it - does the standard SV650 airbox fit ?

Given the F3 rules, if it doesn't it's a pointless build....
    The VFR frame is wider, although the rails are taller. However, the airbox sits between the rails on the SV. The biggest problem with it is feeding the air into it as you can guarantee the intake holes in the frame won't line up at all.

I would've thought it'd be the petrol tank that'd be the problem.

Bike
    a shiny new(ish) one
    fuckin cool project man!

please invest in a less shit camera, and keep the pics and updates coming, I love seeing these unique, oddball creations and projects!!!!

Thread Information