Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: LAMS question. Does your reg label match your bike model?

Bike
    1993 Yamaha FJ 1200
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by rastuscat View Post
    Bloke approached me recently expecting me to know the maximum towing capacity of his X5 BMW.

Too much for even me, I'm afraid.
    In times such as that ... you tell them if the tow bar was certified, it would be stated on the certification plate.

If the tow bar was not certified ... any towing related incident may mean his insurance/warranty could be void. And he should check with his insurance company/vehicle dealer ... to see what they allow .... (if they allow it)

Remind them ... that New Zealand is one of the few countries in the world that allow (in law) people to tow trailers behind their cars ... and vehicle designers have never (seldom) factored in the fitting of tow bars.

I actually have seen tow bars fitted to some cars ... that were basically bolted straight onto 3mm panel steel. (and wondered why their tandem trailer came adrift)
    When life throws you a curve ... Lean into it ...

Bike
    R1200RT LC
    Quote Originally Posted by FJRider View Post
    In times such as that ... you tell them if the tow bar was certified, it would be stated on the certification plate.

If the tow bar was not certified ... any towing related incident may mean his insurance/warranty could be void. And he should check with his insurance company/vehicle dealer ... to see what they allow .... (if they allow it)

Remind them ... that New Zealand is one of the few countries in the world that allow (in law) people to tow trailers behind their cars ... and vehicle designers have never (seldom) factored in the fitting of tow bars.

I actually have seen tow bars fitted to some cars ... that were basically bolted straight onto 3mm panel steel. (and wondered why their tandem trailer came adrift)
    Don't wanna hijack this thread, but.......

A Corolla I used to have had a max tow rating, which was different from...........the tow rating of the tow bar itself, which was different from............the rating of the tow ball. The trailer was built to no specific engineering spec, and weighed.........dunno. did I ever weigh it and what I loaded onto it..........um...........no.

Bloody shambles that.

I now have a factory tow bar matched to my wife's vehicle, which I know the weight of. I know the weight of my trailer, and the weight the tow system is matched to handle. Seems a lot of trouble to go to, but it sure feels safer.

Bike
    VFR
    I just checked the rego on my 2 bikes.

My 400 is a shocker. It's a LAMS legal bike, but fuck me if I got pulled over on it after October first you'd have a devils time with it.

The rego simply reads "1993 Yamaha XJ".

Considering theres at least an XJ400, an XJR400, an XJ600 and an XJ 900, holy shit is that rego ambiguous. If I wasn't selling the thing I'd be tempted to go down to the AA or something and get my rego reprinted with the 400 on it. Could be a devil of a time if you got pulled over on it.

"But ossifer it's a 400 I swear it is!"

Bike
    BSA A10
    A Corolla I used to have had a max tow rating, which was different from...........the tow rating of the tow bar itself, which was different from............the rating of the tow ball.
    The latest Corolla isn't even rated for a tow bar by Toyota Japan, the company wont even let me put one on to cart the MTB around
    "If you can make black marks on a straight from the time you turn out of a corner until the braking point of the next turn, then you have enough power."

Quote Originally Posted by scracha View Post
    Even BP would shy away from cleaning up a sidecar oil spill.
    Quote Originally Posted by Warren Zevon
    Send Lawyers, guns and money, the shit has hit the fan

Bike
    1994 Kawasaki ZZR1100

If cagers were not allowed to tow trailers down your way FJ, what would they use to swat motorcyclists with?

Bike
    1993 Yamaha FJ 1200
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by sootie View Post
    If cagers were not allowed to tow trailers down your way FJ, what would they use to swat motorcyclists with?
    Most of the caged down here, use "proper" towing vehicles ... with "proper" trailers ...

Them remembering to tie things onto said trailers ... well ...

High traffic flow around here ... often means it takes several minutes, before an opportunity to pass comes along though ....

Bike
    R1200RT LC

Anyone know your Concourses?

There's a Kawasaki Concourse on TM just now, listed as a ZX1400. Listing 432981160.

Carjam says it's a ZX1400 too.

A mate who has one says that Concourses are all ZGs, and that ZXs are the sports version.

Anyone know this better than my mate?

Bike
    1993 Yamaha FJ 1200
    Blog Entries
    The Kawasaki 1400 GTR (Sport Tourer)... also known as the 1400 Concours ... also known as the ZG1400.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kawasaki_1400GTR

From the few site's I've looked at ... it depends on the market it's in.
    The ZX1400 was the original sport bike (2007)... the tourers (in later years) seem to have had the ZG prefix.

Bike
    XB12R, FXR150, Ducati 400ss, 1125CR
    Quote Originally Posted by scumdog View Post
    Tell me about it - there's so many aspects of training and introcucing new legislation etc that I'm susprised we have the time.
    On that note..
    I suggest that you ALL get more training.. and as i am heading south from Auckland next month... that WEEK would be a good time please..

Just one week with you all behind a desk would be a good idea...

what a ride so far!!!!

Bike
    R1200RT LC
    The Kawasaki 1400 GTR (Sport Tourer)... also known as the 1400 Concours ... also known as the ZG1400.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kawasaki_1400GTR

From the few site's I've looked at ... it depends on the market it's in.
    The ZX1400 was the original sport bike (2007)... the tourers (in later years) seem to have had the ZG prefix.
    Yes, found that Wikipedia article too. Looks like yet another case of someone filling in a form incorrectly and the bike then ends up with an incorrect designation, which was the whole point of this thread.

Bloody bureaucracy.

Bike
    Suzuki GSX1250FA, TGB 50cc moped
    Looks like yet another case of someone filling in a form incorrectly Bloody bureaucracy.
    Yeah they rang me up last Census.

Apparently I'm a dumb bastard and I didn't get a single question right DOH

Don't expect I'll be much better come March.
    David must play fair with the other kids, even the idiots.

Bike
    1993 Yamaha FJ 1200
    Blog Entries
    Yes, found that Wikipedia article too. Looks like yet another case of someone filling in a form incorrectly and the bike then ends up with an incorrect designation, which was the whole point of this thread.

Bloody bureaucracy.
    But I doubt if a ZG1400 will appear on a LAM's list though ..

I have owned a 1985 GPZ900 (Ninga) that was listed on the rego form as a ZX9

Bike
    89 BMW R100GS, 71 R75/5, 72 R50/5,
    Just had to go out and check my bikes out of 7 bikes three are wrong, l have a R80GS regestered as a R80CS, a R100S as a
    R1V0S and a R100T as a R1V0N the rest are correct

Bike
    R1200RT LC
    Quote Originally Posted by BEAMER89 View Post
    Just had to go out and check my bikes out of 7 bikes three are wrong, l have a R80GS regestered as a R80CS, a R100S as a R1V0S and a R100T as a R1V0N the rest are correct
    Hold onto them. The BMW museum might be interested in the worlds only R80CS, R1V0S and R1V0N.

Cringe

Bike
    Old Blue, Little blue
    Mates Honda CB750 is a Honda CB125..........so is his CB450....and his CB550....and his CB90SS.....and his CB77..........and his.......

Oops!
    “- He felt that his whole life was some kind of dream and he sometimes wondered whose it was and whether they were enjoying it.”

Thread Information